Questions about the shifting focus

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Kordin

Re: Questions about the shifting focus

Post by Kordin » Fri May 14, 2021 8:00 am

Elysia wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 8:57 pm
RP has had zero attention. Even if I hop around the place to see if there's anything going on, chances are, there isn't. If I try to initiate something, often someone goes "ah, the imm wants to RP". No, we want players to opt for RP and enricht the environment. Obviously people need help, encouragement, features, something to assist with that, just like other key areas of the mud have.

RP is just tricky, because I suspect that many roleplayers are not the type to splash all their interactions on roleplay forums, or even clan forums. So many interactions just fly under the radar of essentially everyone, making some people feel that it's not happening at all. I also suspect that any prospective roleplayers who lay eyes on the RP forum will decide the game is not for them.

So if anyone can think of ideas on how players or imms can do things that will make RP more valid as a part of character development, in the sense of roleplay being awarded qps, maybe perks that are exclusive to RPers, things that will encourage RP or being IC, ways that will ensure all this has an even spread so it's not just the popular people getting rewarded etc.

In a day and age where we still get emails like a copy/ paste of someone's qps and a "so what's next?" mail for mastering... looong way to go.

Hell, even things like writing "how to RP an Andoran" might help for all I know. Either way, this cannot solely be an immortal endeavor. We don't have eyes everywhere. For RP, there's usually multiple players around, meaning that players are an essential part of this. Hence the question of how we can make this work.
Probably already thought of, but anyway...

What about rewarding people for also giving rpkudos? 1 qp for every 10 rpkudos given? And the equivalent for non clanned, whatever it is...cash?

Certain amount for every mandatory RP letter, whether it's for R7 or applying to a clan or ranking if a clan has that requirement? Just add a requirement to cc Staff (or a differnet account, Voices?) whenever such a letter has to be sent.

Maybe a chit that loads each boot, on a random smob, can't be rented, boot eats it, and it doubles or triples RPkudos awards? Might get people to RP instead of just run through smobs while barely speaking or solely staying OOC?

Really the rest that comes to mind has either been suggested, or is again the obvious and/or already done - i.e. festivals.

Yonio

Post by Yonio » Fri May 14, 2021 8:34 am

https://youtu.be/dcqL0dks728

Be the change you want to see. Come listen to the dulcet tones of my o-ring'ed cherry reds. Roleplay is FUN guys! Try it sometime! You don't have to be good at it (I'm not), you just have to try. Kudos to the imm who joined in on the fun, and for reminding us of rpkudos, because I forgot about it. Remind others - they're forgetting too.

Also, I still kind of feel bad for the LSers who were missing out, but oh well, hope they were having fun, too. Subhira is a rockstar.

Kordin

Post by Kordin » Fri May 14, 2021 8:41 am

Yonio wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 8:34 am
Kudos to the imm who joined in on the fun, and for reminding us of rpkudos, because I forgot about it. Remind others - they're forgetting too.
People also forget about https://wotmud.fandom.com/wiki/Pay_It_Forward

One of the reasons why rewarding people for not just participating but also suggesting others for RP/PiF rewards, might be good as well.

If one side forgets to leave rpkudos, the side that does leave it, still get's soemthing - even if it is at a (i.e.) 2x slower rate.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Fri May 14, 2021 10:34 am

Kordin wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 8:00 am
What about rewarding people for also giving rpkudos? 1 qp for every 10 rpkudos given? And the equivalent for non clanned, whatever it is...cash?
There's way too much potential for asshattery there.

Rig

Post by Rig » Fri May 14, 2021 11:39 am

You seem focused on all of the people who abuse the system. There’s always going to be people gaming the system chief.

Kordin

Post by Kordin » Fri May 14, 2021 12:16 pm

Rig wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 11:39 am
You seem focused on all of the people who abuse the system. There’s always going to be people gaming the system chief.
Exactly.

And same logic can already be applied to current RPkudos system.

"Short IC interaction" - one of the most common (that I've seen) RPs is a "happy go lucky drunken adventurer/master/warrior who likes to get in trouble and has questionable etiquette" and bla bla bla.

Short IC interaction for that might just be that char arriving at a square, enter commands "burp" and/or "fart", and someone might leave RPkudos for that. That's pretty much gaming the system when it comes to RP.

So really leaves two options me thinks - accepting there will almost always be those who abuse any system, or just nuking everything. First one leaves/creates room for something good and fun, the other just makes people wonder why bother with anything anymore...

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Fri May 14, 2021 4:26 pm

Rig wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 11:39 am
Let me tell you what happens when we catch someone doing something. Depending on what, it can take 30 mins or in the worst case, multiple imms taking multiple days, to dig through the amount of abuse. We need to document this, so if it gets appealed up the chain, it will be obvious that no, Bobby didn't abuse it 2 or 3 times, but maybe 400 times. Across alts, on various IP addresses.

Dealing with abuse takes away time that could be spent on improving the game and it's a burn out factor for imms. So, the choice is wanting time spent on the game or dealing with people who can't restrain themselves?

It ultimately becomes a choice between spending time on abusers, or spending time on other players and/or improving the game. Guess which choice will always win?

Rig

Post by Rig » Fri May 14, 2021 7:12 pm

Yea, I mean obviously the same people who abuse mechanics/bugs/exploits/whatever are going to do it across multiple alts. I'm just saying it's a waste of time and resources spent, and helps nobody in the long run especially when it comes down to not wanting to imp things because of said abuse. Easier to just imp it, set the ground rules then and there, and call it good.

Even if say, Rig abused rpkudos to get 100 qps total across 3 alts, just go to the extreme and straight to declanning + a zap for that char and the other chars. Instead of taking all of the time and willpower to go through every minute detail. Straight to the chopping block. Do it again and get banned. I almost guarantee that people will be less likely to abuse things if you go straight to the extreme side of punishment.

Yonio

Post by Yonio » Fri May 14, 2021 8:03 pm

Kordin wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 8:41 am
Yonio wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 8:34 am
Kudos to the imm who joined in on the fun, and for reminding us of rpkudos, because I forgot about it. Remind others - they're forgetting too.
People also forget about https://wotmud.fandom.com/wiki/Pay_It_Forward

One of the reasons why rewarding people for not just participating but also suggesting others for RP/PiF rewards, might be good as well.

If one side forgets to leave rpkudos, the side that does leave it, still get's soemthing - even if it is at a (i.e.) 2x slower rate.
Ha! Yup. The systems are well-meaning but poorly designed if people are forgetting or don't know how to use them. :( People know how to turn in PK scalps (though even that could be could be less confusing to a returning player! Lol).

Ominas

Post by Ominas » Fri May 14, 2021 8:43 pm

Rig wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 7:12 pm
Yea, I mean obviously the same people who abuse mechanics/bugs/exploits/whatever are going to do it across multiple alts. I'm just saying it's a waste of time and resources spent, and helps nobody in the long run especially when it comes down to not wanting to imp things because of said abuse. Easier to just imp it, set the ground rules then and there, and call it good.

Even if say, Rig abused rpkudos to get 100 qps total across 3 alts, just go to the extreme and straight to declanning + a zap for that char and the other chars. Instead of taking all of the time and willpower to go through every minute detail. Straight to the chopping block. Do it again and get banned. I almost guarantee that people will be less likely to abuse things if you go straight to the extreme side of punishment.
This. I’d say the majority of players are not those who would cheat or abuse things. But those who do will influence those who do not. Or in some way shape how we play. Just naturally. Zero tolerance policy is best policy. Don’t waste time. Nuke them.

Nice post Rig.

Love the focus on Rp and I’m looking forward to seeing what comes out of it. I hope it’s more monthly quests and new changes in things like jcask and other mobs that can get players involved in the map and game.

Nice work