Questions about the shifting focus

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Elysia

Re: Questions about the shifting focus

Post by Elysia » Thu May 20, 2021 9:02 pm

Both criers and heralds are full, so it would have to be a completely new mob. Fortunately, it would appear town criers were also called bellman:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_crier

"A town crier, also called a bellman,[citation needed] is an officer of a royal court or public authority who makes public pronouncements as required.[1]"

Dartes

Post by Dartes » Fri May 21, 2021 8:14 am

I like the crier/bellman idea.

Also, in game if you "view game", you get the message something like: "The Game of Houses is not currently being played." I always wondered if there was any unused/unfinished coding related to this for RP use, or maybe just something in the game files/notes related to what was originally planned for this, if anything.

Sanguine

Post by Sanguine » Fri May 21, 2021 9:08 am

Elysia wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 9:02 pm
Both criers and heralds are full, so it would have to be a completely new mob. Fortunately, it would appear town criers were also called bellman:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_crier

"A town crier, also called a bellman,[citation needed] is an officer of a royal court or public authority who makes public pronouncements as required.[1]"
Can you copy/paste crier mobol and tell us the character (or KB?) limit?

Viva

Post by Viva » Fri May 21, 2021 9:38 am

Master mobs doing a random set of socials or emotes on percent (maybe 20% on tic) would seem like the mobs were more "alive" and no too spammy.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Fri May 21, 2021 3:14 pm

Viva wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 9:38 am
Master mobs doing a random set of socials or emotes on percent (maybe 20% on tic) would seem like the mobs were more "alive" and no too spammy.
On tick mobol is the type of stuff that adds to lag, so we try not use it. Even the ships/ coaches have one mob sending tick warnings to all ships/coaches to make those work. That wouldn't work with mastermobs because they can be all ^ over > the < place v.

@sanguine There is a character limit, but enters in mobol count for 2 characters, so it's not exactly an easy Word lettercount. I think it's 64999 characters, but I can't remember for sure. Not something we use. Mobol is like cats: if it fits, it sits.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Fri May 21, 2021 3:52 pm

Dartes wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 8:14 am
I like the crier/bellman idea.

Also, in game if you "view game", you get the message something like: "The Game of Houses is not currently being played." I always wondered if there was any unused/unfinished coding related to this for RP use, or maybe just something in the game files/notes related to what was originally planned for this, if anything.
There's a few rooms I've seen that are "room for Game of Houses", but I have found zero info about what the plan was with those.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Fri May 21, 2021 4:43 pm

Btw, got a ways on the bellman, but as it's a new mob, it can't do the mobol yet until a boot has passed and only then can I test it, so...

I'm making it have the ability to record and reproduce 5 messages, if it works.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Sat May 22, 2021 6:02 pm

The bellman is in. It responds to SAY HELP. It can store 5 messages per city, and a player can trigger those (yelled) messages, but it also fires on % and then it will yell a random message. I filled them up with some messages about the bellman.

The bellman should be in all capital cities, although I didn't include Chachin or Tree Top City. A town crier seems especially weird for the latter. Note that these wander.

Kordin

Post by Kordin » Sun May 23, 2021 12:26 pm

Per Thirne, the gatekeeper of Bandar Eban bellows 'Guards of Bandar Eban, are you on your posts?'
These types of mob interactions make places feel somewhat alive. Even though they're not actually interactions.

Mobs reacting to people, their ranks, clan status etc was already suggested, so just adding to that;
  • add a syntax to yell back, one for clan in whose city this is happening, and one for visitors, maybe add some for rival/enemy clans
  • mob replies coul trigger something within the city, some kind of minor change
  • change could be triggering a mobol on guard mobs, who then say random lines - example a Winger enters Tears, talks back to the mob that yells, and for the remained of the boot, Tear guards randomly say lines about searching for Mayenar insurgents (similar to how Illian mobs talk about hard work and deserving a beer)
For the next bit, I'm drawing a blank, but maybe another layer could be added where there is a low % chance for something to happen in the region, maybe smob related, some kind of dynamic thing as well as RPkudos in that area to maybe award more. It might not only encourage RP in that part, but also other activities as players would check all content in the region/nations.

I might be repeating some ideas already mentioned...I didn't reread the topic before posting :mrgreen: :oops:

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Sun May 23, 2021 6:05 pm

Kordin wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 12:26 pm
  • add a syntax to yell back, one for clan in whose city this is happening, and one for visitors, maybe add some for rival/enemy clans
  • mob replies coul trigger something within the city, some kind of minor change
  • change could be triggering a mobol on guard mobs, who then say random lines - example a Winger enters Tears, talks back to the mob that yells, and for the remained of the boot, Tear guards randomly say lines about searching for Mayenar insurgents (similar to how Illian mobs talk about hard work and deserving a beer)
Ignoring the fact that mobol can't deal with yells, this would be a seriously massive project. Imagine the mobol if you want a variety of responses that are unique to each city. I doubt the scope you're talking about would even fit on any given mob, meaning the project just doubled in size. I don't think this is going to be feasible as a global thing on the scale you're thinking of.