Questions about the shifting focus

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Itesh

Re: Questions about the shifting focus

Post by Itesh » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:50 am

isabel wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:57 pm
V cool stuff.

Typing from fone so briefly.. in the books Sedai was an actual title. I don't know why lord / lady is so predominant here..it's fine for some clans but the whole "lady xyz" for Aes Sedai is really anti RJ world building imo. It's like sensei is an actual title in a world and you insist on calling them Lord or whatever.

In fact Ajahs had actual ranks like Captain General or whatever but here it's all Elder Sister which I'm not sure..what it is!

Just worried you'll mobol lady xyz for aes sedai into mobs hence posting
Captain-General is specifically the title of the head of the Green Ajah only - and letting players be heads of organisations is an interesting but probably not practical idea. Although I suppose if the Greens wish to elect a Captain General, and the Yellows a First Weaver and the Blues a First Selector I suppose there's nothing stopping them - except that players are contrary and don't respond well to being told what to do.

Sedai - and Aes Sedai when you're being really polite - is used as a post-nominal title in the books, which the code already supports via the change title command.

isabel

Post by isabel » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:45 am

Sure, but I'm assuming it wasn't 'sister' 'elder sister' 'first weaver', but something along those lines.

Wasn't speaking to the clan titles (which I have given up on - lady/lord lulz) though, but about the RP direction here, that if a mob greets you, it shouldn't be 'Good day, Lady Pyro' but rather 'Good day, Pyro Sedai' aka not to continue the anti-worldbuilding of the code.

That's all!

P.S - in the books there's even instance of people saying 'please don't call me a lord, I'm just a farmer from Two Rivers' etc, and the person responds with 'well you've behaved more like a lord than many lords I know - but sure, I'll respect your wishes' whereas in the books, you often come across people who are like 'but it says lady in your title and/or if i view clan it says you are xyz rank so even though you are TELLING me your RP background i will go what i can see with my own 2 eyez' - true story, several times lol. So if there's an option here, if the mob said 'Good day, Captain Adael' instead of "Good day, Lord Adael' it allows Adael to maybe RP something other tha a Lord etc.

Itesh

Post by Itesh » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:22 am

That's individually programmable in mobol, it's just a dialogue issue - mobol itself is not grabbing titles, so the writers, if they want to spend mobol space on it, can be as specific (or not) as they prefer

Eg it's : "Hello, Captain <insert name here>

...rather than: "Hello, <insert title here> <insert name here>

Reyne

Post by Reyne » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:40 pm

Elysia wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 6:02 pm
The bellman is in. It responds to SAY HELP. It can store 5 messages per city, and a player can trigger those (yelled) messages, but it also fires on % and then it will yell a random message. I filled them up with some messages about the bellman.

The bellman should be in all capital cities, although I didn't include Chachin or Tree Top City. A town crier seems especially weird for the latter. Note that these wander.
Tried to say help a few times, didn't respond.

Fire Avenue
An oil lamp, set in a steel cage, hangs from a high wooden pole.
A warhorse is here, stamping his feet impatiently, being ridden by you.
A smartly dressed man ambles about here.
A worker busily earns a day's pay.
A well-dressed man peals his bell, alerting people to the latest news.

* R HP:Healthy SP:Bursting MV:Fresh >
say help
You say 'help'

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:45 pm

After complaints from players, that was changed to: say help command.

Drybones

Post by Drybones » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:48 am

I've been liking the RP things in the works lately, and I've seen a lot of good roleplaying going on as the player numbers ratchet up. Someone was talking about finding the song, and I couldn't fathom how you rp a tinker in this game in any fun way. While there are plenty of crafting/potion making/etc. you can do as a pacifist, none allow you to participate in a lot of group activities.

I was wondering if it would be possible to revamp some of the deprecated skills (e.g., camo, whips, chains, etc.), and insert some more rpish/support skills for non-channies. Things that would be kindof prac intensive for combat players to get, but useful for participating in group activities. For example:

1. whips and camo could be replaced with some rp version of anatomy and physiology / gather supplies respectively. They would be used in concert to provide small heals to smobbers/pkers at the cost of some mvs. Wisdom lore just isn't effective enough to be a support player as a hunter.

2. A build shelter command that increases regen for anyone who sleeps in the room. Must be used outdoors, not in cities, can't be constructed on no-hides, no-channels, etc.. Provides some risk to using at certain smobs / in pk

Whatever skills they would end up being, the thought would be to have some non-combat characters that are equally valuable to a smob group / pk group as a combat character (in small numbers), but make them take some risks by venturing out into combat areas (instead of sitting malk/keep and healing). You would need to sacrifice some combat skills/survivability to take the route, so it wouldn't just be a bonus for people with good stats. It could also add some complexity to pk, sending stabbers out to find their support chars, tear down their shelters, and stab regenning chars. Hopefully it would result in put ting RP chars in the running for gear/scalps for doing something more rpish than pking directly.

Mikhan

Post by Mikhan » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:34 am

Very cool ideas, Drybones

Kryyg

Post by Kryyg » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:10 pm

Actually a pretty neat idea. Like 50% pracd would give 2 extra hp per half tic. 66 would give 3 and 98 would give 5 or whatever. I think it should be a separate prac tree outside of our 3 current trees and be 4 pracs per train.

Koradin

Post by Koradin » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:54 pm

Drybones wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:48 am

2. A build shelter command that increases regen for anyone who sleeps in the room. Must be used outdoors, not in cities, can't be constructed on no-hides, no-channels, etc.. Provides some risk to using at certain smobs / in pk
Just stopped by to say I built this exact feature over in that other mud and it was pretty well-liked and wasn't too overpowered.

Step 1: I made all tree mobs have a chance to load branches, both small and large

Step 2: you can use small branches to build a campfire and large branches to build a shelter. Each one provides small regen

Step 3: you can upgrade the campfire to a bonfire or the shelter to a tower by using more branches. These provide more regen and the tower actually occasionally emote shoots arrows at enemies in surrounding rooms. Again, nothing too overpowered, just a little spice.

Step 4: all fires/structures can be captured by the other side and start providing them benefits instead (yellow flame bonfire for LS, green for DS, etc)

Step 5: all fires/structures degrade over time (fires need to be built back up, shelters fall apart, etc)

Happy to provide some more detail on this and other cool features that really added to the experience imo

Reyne

Post by Reyne » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:44 am

Very cool idea. Could do something similarly RP focused with a couple of the weaves, too, maybe.