Questions about the shifting focus

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Elysia

Re: Questions about the shifting focus

Post by Elysia » Sun May 16, 2021 9:56 pm

The treaty thing is an imm thing because we can easily award both sides. Also we apply different rewards, depending on the clan. For a Gray, negotiating something is more aligned with their core RP than for a random Andoran. Treaties are also pretty rare, so it's not that much of a hassle.

Sanguine

Post by Sanguine » Sun May 16, 2021 10:34 pm

Detritus wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 2:45 am
Automated clanning for seanchan was one of the best things I've seen added.

Seanchan and unclanned humans I'd not play because there's nothing to work towards, it would be great if some of the other clans were also accessible and not reliant on sucking up to inactive alts of people or a certain play time when the only person in the clan might log on.

You don't really form much character identity before clanning for the most part and there's no incentive to play without something to work towards before clanning.

I did some cool quest chain from bandar eban one time about the origins of swordbrothers that felt like it should lead towards being able to join that inactive clan but was an interesting dead end.

Secret clans i may understand but every basic city or area defending clan is difficult to join unless you're active when someone else in the clan(some completely and utterly inactive) is.
Hard 110% agree. Let MCs in - when was the last time we saw MCs? Make taint not as permanently destructive to the char. Maybe easier DF to remort options than non MCs. Don't need a million fades or dreadlords - maybe there's a "wilder" DS clan that needs to be made, only way to R1 there is to remort as MC, and at R5 you get clan weaves then at R7 hard quest to remort fade or dreadlord, but up to the immortals' discretion, only one is open for new applications at a time. There's a way.

Sanguine

Post by Sanguine » Sun May 16, 2021 10:37 pm

Kordin wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 3:03 am
Detritus wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 2:45 am
Seanchan and unclanned humans I'd not play because there's nothing to work towards....
While being in a clan has some nice perks, why not also focus on creating perks of being unclanned and still having goals to work towards.

I.E the citizenship Elysia mentioned. Something around that...working towards becoming a known member of whatever society, aiming for nobility or something...
I'm not sure that's a desirable thing to be honest. I think everyone should be encouraged to join something, citizenship, that's just another name for clan... We already have that. I honestly don't think we need to encourage or spend time and resources into letting people be farmers. Do that on your own, there's fruit and vegetables around.

Taziar

Post by Taziar » Sun May 16, 2021 10:37 pm

Posting logs is a no go for me personally... I don't read the ones people post on forums either.
Sadly as Councilor(s) I don't have the stamina to keep up in two of the most inactive clans in the mud as it is, let alone do more for them...

Everything in the game is done in a "room", every room is in a "zone"
RP, PK... none of these happen outside this.

Cut out some of the non-WoT fluff, the best times this mud ever had were when new zones were added to the game from the books.

PvE is RP (in as much as you can in a hack/slash adventure game coding wise)

Sanguine

Post by Sanguine » Sun May 16, 2021 11:09 pm

Roryn wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 8:01 am
I've mostly just skimmed the thread, but, I'll add a little to the discussion a little. The number 1, biggest thing in my opinion, is allow players to influence the world. I was talking to a newer player the other day, about my favorite times in games. WoTmud came up in that. But 90% of my favorite times in WoTmud dated back to when there were 100+ players, with big story things happening in the mud. It was very immersive when I started.

I believe a large part of this was player agency and the fact that we were all young. These days, we play the game as a game, and not a world we live in and take part of. I think this is mostly a product of us all getting older and having less time, but also because we have seen the man behind the curtain so to speak. We know that there's only so many things we can do to influence in the world. With that, a lot of RP has fallen off.

To me, if you put me in the WORLD of RJ, and I can influence it, change it, create or destroy in it with the actions of my character, I am a lot more likely to RP that character.
Agree, though I think we could get a BOATLOAD of new younger players to play and get hooked for hours. I don't think (any more) video games are the big competition. Gamers as a whole are much more open to nerdy stuff than they used to be when we were kids. They're out there.

Ominas

Post by Ominas » Sun May 16, 2021 11:11 pm

Who are you calling nerdy? Nerd

Detritus

Post by Detritus » Mon May 17, 2021 12:31 am

Influence the world things are awesome. (less sure about the farmable rewards for qps/tps setup)

CTFs and things players can influence are great and promote conflict.(farmable by specific character setups for free rewards less so)
Think of braem pot build-a-pat and how much pvp happens around there that wouldn't at all of dark had to hide or full retreat as the only options.
If baerlon/jehanna/kandori fort were less deadend "door trapish deathtrap for losing side" they would be rallying points any side could use(like blodfest is at times).

One step further than ctfs would be great.
Build-a-pat pots are awesome, is it possible to do things like that in the game in other places that require investment steps somewhere else? Perhaps seanchan/human could spend something and prepare a scouting/raiding party falme/caemlyn or something and take a flare or some item to a "pot" type location to mobol "create" a usable rallying point.
(I'm surprised something of the sort didn't happen during warring times between light side clans as well)

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Mon May 17, 2021 8:27 am

Taziar wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 10:37 pm
Posting logs is a no go for me personally... I don't read the ones people post on forums either.
It's a visibility thing. If no one's posting pk logs, people will assume there's no good pk. There have been comments about people who have quit playing still glancing at forums once in a while to check for fun logs. The same mechanism applies to RP. With the added bonus that if roleplay is visible on forums, those inclined to do it will know who to look out for and it will show potential players that yes, this happens on the game too.

There's frequent enough interactions, they just don't get posted, which makes the place seem as dead as a game with no narrates or chats.

Ragyn

Post by Ragyn » Mon May 17, 2021 8:29 am

Whenever I take a break its always someone posting a log that pulls me back, shows who are active and if the quality of pew pew will be decent. Just to add to the posting logs has decent value in pulling back inactive players. Don't know if people who are mainly into RP feel the same way if they read a fun log on RP boards, they'll log and try to catch those people.

Fermin

Post by Fermin » Mon May 17, 2021 12:48 pm

I think turning RP into a grind is fairly bad for RP and the game. The RP Kudo's bit might be a good test for that, as this is just my hunch. But I feel like roleplay that emerges is going to better then forced RP.

The times I have felt most involved in the RP of my characters are imm driven global events, master quests, clanning quests, defense of the blight and occasionally random interactions.

Part1: Group PK
Banding together to defend cities against the other side or attacking them has always been something that could pull people together and usually bring some roleplay into it, and always get me into the feel of being in wot.
Here are some things I think are terrible for that:
1. The ability to see the numbers on the other side.
2. The layout of the zones of many of these quests and activities
3. The SS showing up on who
4. The amount of stat bots
The fact I can check a website and know if there is any danger to farm fades, LS city heads, stab a DS butcher, check keep, etc makes doing these items very easy and hence less enjoyable. The danger combined with the potential loss (all gear) is what keeps people coming back, and these things have really eliminated that feeling of danger.

But basically I'm saying, "When I can say with certainty, if the other side mounts a defense we will just kill them." Then there is an issue with a fundamental aspect of the game. Let me know if you want more of an explanation on how I could see to fix it (possible with and without getting rid of the numbers site I believe).