Questions about the shifting focus

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Taziar

Re: Questions about the shifting focus

Post by Taziar » Sat May 15, 2021 11:22 pm

Sorry my jaded oldbie self put the focus on my last post on the “net-positive” spin more than the bookish aspect I really wanted to get across...

PvE and RP are intricately connected. To increase RP atmosphere an increase in PvE bookishness will assist in that.

What are our end game PvE “raids” right now?
IoMM - Jafar - Murgoz?

None of these are really connected to the WoT storyline... which all RP originates from.

Add the Tower of Ghenji to the mud permanently as an end game PvE. Add Ebou Dar (one of the major book locations) and have the Rahad be another end game PvE zone... Rhuidean could even be another.

Have mobs say more bookish quotes, this will remind players of native jargon and increase mimicking of bookish talk.

PvE does shape and reinforce character RP

Sanguine

Post by Sanguine » Sat May 15, 2021 11:24 pm

Nice post Taz. Agreed. Everything helps each other like that.

Kordin

Post by Kordin » Sun May 16, 2021 2:32 am

Elysia wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 6:51 pm
Before Giramael took a break, he was working on citizen occupations. I forget what they all were, but I think they included farming and lumberjacking. However, your character being flagged in a certain way, doesn't really make people interact ICly. Especially since this wouldn't be coded, so there wouldn't be any title or tag associated with your character to show off your background.
It doesn't make people, but it might encourage, especially if properly incentivized with other RP focused changes. In case of lumberjacking and farming and similar things - crafting.

Is Gira coming back or is that break most likely permanent?
Elysia wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 6:51 pm
Personally, I've always wanted stats to not matter and allowing people to buy citizenship and have citizens have privileges. In a world where stats matter though, that won't work.
Why not? Not sure what would that have to do with stats...?

I think citizenship would a nice touch, adding a new layer to RP while also potentially benefiting from certain mechanics that migth come along with that, if any...might even be added to claning requirements, use of shops even depending on nation and it's RP.

Maybe if the flag would work like a clan flag, citizens would get assistance from guards instead of them just standing there while a scoundrel, ruffian and/or thug attack people on the streets....the favelas of Bandar Eban....
Last edited by Kordin on Sun May 16, 2021 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kordin

Post by Kordin » Sun May 16, 2021 2:43 am

Taziar wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 11:22 pm
PvE and RP are intricately connected. To increase RP atmosphere an increase in PvE bookishness will assist in that.

What are our end game PvE “raids” right now?
IoMM - Jafar - Murgoz?

None of these are really connected to the WoT storyline... which all RP originates from.

Add the Tower of Ghenji to the mud permanently as an end game PvE.
Those are great, but IMHO due to the state of almost everything else, make the rest of smobs somewhat obsolete. So if work is to be done regarding those, then every smob needs another looksie. Not just from RP POV.
Taziar wrote:
Add Ebou Dar (one of the major book locations) and have the Rahad be another end game PvE zone... Rhuidean could even be another.
#MakeWoTMUDMapWoTMap
Taziar wrote:
Have mobs say more bookish quotes, this will remind players of native jargon and increase mimicking of bookish talk.

PvE does shape and reinforce character RP
Yes.

Detritus

Post by Detritus » Sun May 16, 2021 2:45 am

Automated clanning for seanchan was one of the best things I've seen added.

Seanchan and unclanned humans I'd not play because there's nothing to work towards, it would be great if some of the other clans were also accessible and not reliant on sucking up to inactive alts of people or a certain play time when the only person in the clan might log on.

You don't really form much character identity before clanning for the most part and there's no incentive to play without something to work towards before clanning.

I did some cool quest chain from bandar eban one time about the origins of swordbrothers that felt like it should lead towards being able to join that inactive clan but was an interesting dead end.

Secret clans i may understand but every basic city or area defending clan is difficult to join unless you're active when someone else in the clan(some completely and utterly inactive) is.

Kordin

Post by Kordin » Sun May 16, 2021 3:03 am

Detritus wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 2:45 am
Seanchan and unclanned humans I'd not play because there's nothing to work towards....
While being in a clan has some nice perks, why not also focus on creating perks of being unclanned and still having goals to work towards.

I.E the citizenship Elysia mentioned. Something around that...working towards becoming a known member of whatever society, aiming for nobility or something...

Detritus

Post by Detritus » Sun May 16, 2021 3:22 am

Kordin wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 3:03 am
I.E the citizenship Elysia mentioned. Something around that...working towards becoming a known member of whatever society, aiming for nobility or something...
You mean like the clans and societies that most people have no access to that are rotting inactive?
You don't have to re-invent the wheel with imms limited time and resources to improve the mud.

Kordin

Post by Kordin » Sun May 16, 2021 3:35 am

Detritus wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 3:22 am
Kordin wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 3:03 am
You mean like the clans and societies that most people have no access to that are rotting inactive?
You don't have to re-invent the wheel with imms limited time and resources to improve the mud.
No.

If citizenship can be bought or also have some kind of automated systems, and then systems of progress, then it wouldn't depend on inactive and/or only forum-playing people.

In clans it's a matter of ranks, which makes RP sense for most clans. With this, it wouldn't make much RP sense to have a block like that, preventing people from developing and progressing characters.

And I'd disagree about the "re-invent the wheel" to be honest. This game has been played and to some extent developed with "it's a PK mud" in mind first and foremost or solely with that in mind. If we're talking RP, and making WoTMUD as WoT as possible, then there are things that would probably need to be re-invented.

Point is to give ideas, then we get told what's feasible and what isn't.

How many people even knew Gira was working on something along these lines, or at least thought something like that was possible?

Game is still going fairly strong, for a MUD, after all these years, and after all the development and managment issues it had. Maybe a miracle happens and there is a wave of new players, maybe more Imms and there is another WoTMUD renaissance.

Pitch ideas, those get written down (hopefully) and maybe one day get implemented. Otherwise, why put in effort to rebalance, code, create new things, ask for ideas etc. if it's only/mostly "maintenance mode" and waiting for the day the plug is pulled...

Roryn

Post by Roryn » Sun May 16, 2021 8:01 am

I've mostly just skimmed the thread, but, I'll add a little to the discussion a little. The number 1, biggest thing in my opinion, is allow players to influence the world. I was talking to a newer player the other day, about my favorite times in games. WoTmud came up in that. But 90% of my favorite times in WoTmud dated back to when there were 100+ players, with big story things happening in the mud. It was very immersive when I started.

I believe a large part of this was player agency and the fact that we were all young. These days, we play the game as a game, and not a world we live in and take part of. I think this is mostly a product of us all getting older and having less time, but also because we have seen the man behind the curtain so to speak. We know that there's only so many things we can do to influence in the world. With that, a lot of RP has fallen off.

To me, if you put me in the WORLD of RJ, and I can influence it, change it, create or destroy in it with the actions of my character, I am a lot more likely to RP that character.

Kordin

Post by Kordin » Sun May 16, 2021 8:12 am

Roryn wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 8:01 am
I think this is mostly a product of us all getting older and having less time, but also because we have seen the man behind the curtain so to speak. We know that there's only so many things we can do to influence in the world. With that, a lot of RP has fallen off.

To me, if you put me in the WORLD of RJ, and I can influence it, change it, create or destroy in it with the actions of my character, I am a lot more likely to RP that character.
Speaking of man behind the curtain - that is probably one of the biggest issues regarding anything moving forward, not just RP. But it's a waste of time to even mention it anymore since we're clearly not going to get any answers or explanations, now or most likely ever.

As for "world of RJ" it's based on it, but it is not it. Not as long as entire areas from the actual WoT map are not in game, or were in game and got removed or cut down because of non RP reasons.
Roryn wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 8:01 am
These days, we play the game as a game, and not a world we live in and take part of.
This is really well said. And if a goal is to make the game a living world, for players to "live in"...I suppose knowing what the man behind the curtain in Oz plans are for the game that hosts this world...otherwise, is there a long term point in all of this or are we all running (playing) on hopeful fumes...