Discussion - Waygates and Noquit

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Atienne

Re: Discussion - Waygates and Noquit

Post by Atienne » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:16 pm

Am I the only one who wants more waygates?

Taziar

Post by Taziar » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:48 am

I like the rideable ways, and would like more... but think that isn’t possible with the current zone structure

Sarryn

Post by Sarryn » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:12 am

As someone who is also resistant to learning new things etc I personally am not fond of ways. I don’t like easy ejects. Never have. If you can run/ride away from me fine. If you can hop like 10 zones away in moments nah. I’d support the no quit thing for sure. I also hate portal stones, boats whatever that can get ya away.

That being said I do like the ability to save time. Time is one of biggest killers of the game imo. Takes awhile to do much of anything. I personally don’t mind the flames etc as much as I thought I would. I just don’t like easy eject things. So adding no quit to those is a win win. I would rather have no quit compelling fade mobs for raiding on DS then portal stones/ways etc. Adding no quit to portal stones wouldn't bother me either. I find the outcomes kinda silly in pk sometimes.

Thore

Post by Thore » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:54 am

Sarryn wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:12 am
As someone who is also resistant to learning new things etc I personally am not fond of ways. I don’t like easy ejects. Never have. If you can run/ride away from me fine. If you can hop like 10 zones away in moments nah. I’d support the no quit thing for sure. I also hate portal stones, boats whatever that can get ya away.

That being said I do like the ability to save time. Time is one of biggest killers of the game imo. Takes awhile to do much of anything. I personally don’t mind the flames etc as much as I thought I would. I just don’t like easy eject things. So adding no quit to those is a win win. I would rather have no quit compelling fade mobs for raiding on DS then portal stones/ways etc. Adding no quit to portal stones wouldn't bother me either. I find the outcomes kinda silly in pk sometimes.
Well I can't believe I'm saying this but I totally agree man (jk you rock Sarryn). This is exactly what my comment on more horses was aimed at, but I didn't articulate it as well as this. I think if we want more PK and more interaction, we need to force players to actually enter More of these commands, not fewer: N W S E U D. People may not believe it, but I think it means they will be caught by spam more often, I think it means they will hagg a horse more often - giving a pursuer a chance to catch up.

I love love love the sentiment of saving time via ways, coachman, boats, some clan perks, travel, gate. But I bet it's eliminating some interaction.

Weir

Post by Weir » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:23 am

I think one of the main things to consider when talking about waygates is who is actually PKing. A lot of times when a trolloc goes south (either through ways or via flame) they will encounter people who typically will not leave Andor to pursue the PK elsewhere. At that point, making the trolloc walk north instead of using the ways makes very little difference because the opposition isn't going to aggressively push the PK anyways. I don't disagree that adding noquit to most waygates wouldn't be terrible (notably Seandar waygate -cannot- have that restriction or you basically might as well remove it).

The main thing noquit on waygates will do is impact people who are just gunning for a quick snipe and escape, largely rogues. These days a lot of the PK that happens Andor is to find these people who don't tend to come north to respond to scout narrates up around Fal Dara. I think a good thing to actually add would be a similar narrating mob around 4K.

Atienne

Post by Atienne » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:38 am

I still think we should add more way gates. With more exits, it can be shuffled around more. Maybe people will start visiting less traveled places? It might also expand the size, making it take a little longer for someone to get through. Machin Shin may need to be adjusted depending on how deadly he is now.

Places I could think of:
Illian
Tear
Katar
Amador
Aiel Waste*
Aridhol*

Those would spread them out more, so there won't be a ton in Andor. Maybe move the one in Spine up towards the middle of Spine. Ones with asterisks are former waygates.

No idea what all goes into changing the ways. I assume it is coding.

isabel

Post by isabel » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:19 pm

Lol an eject button is only an eject button if people can't also use it to chase you. Being able to Travel mid-pk was an eject button most of the time. Waygates certainly aren't. It's not even complicated to learn - something like 20ish rooms.

Portal stones also I think if you chase fast enough should transport you all together.

Aureus

Post by Aureus » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:01 pm

The month is up, so last call to get any feedback in on rideable Ways.

Sarryn

Post by Sarryn » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:20 pm

It’s more a personal preference to not learn. I haven’t even attempted to learn ways or stones. I find them idiotic for my liking. Are they useful? Sure. To each there own. They seem to be great at transporting groups for easier city hits or whatever. Thus there great for things like fading. Which is a whole other can of worms about the dumb requirements. I think being able to transport a group say Chico. Then hitting parnarch, killing it and being back north before someone can get even remotely close is pure stupidity.

I can’t even fathom how many times within the last year I’ve seen people use ways or portal stones to eject from a bad situation. It’s in the game, it is what it is. I don’t have to like it or think it’s conducive for pk or role play etc. Just my opinion, seems incredibly handheld. I know I can learn it just like the next person. I can chase into ways or a portal stone. I have and had good and bad results. I personally think it’s a utterly dung game mechanic as is. Add no quit to each and I have 0 issues.

Sarryn

Post by Sarryn » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:30 pm

Above being said. I think there’s still a few things that could be either tweaked or added for gameplay. Focused around how to make this game less time strapping. Like I wouldn’t mind seeing SS get a transport to FD. Or lug or maybe somewhere else being a full time two way no quit flame for DS. And or adding like 3 no quit compelling fades. And or adding a refresh station for LS in TV or WB with the wisdoms. All of these things being no quit associated.

I’ll always point to time being a huge detriment to the game. It takes up so much. So I can see why things like ways/stones etc are around. And that’s cool for that purpose. I just don’t think they should be usable with no quit. Aka when your pking etc.