[Spoiler Alert] Star Wars - The Force Awakens

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Jomin

[Spoiler Alert] Star Wars - The Force Awakens

Post by Jomin » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:15 pm

It is 3:00am 2015-12-17 and my cockles are not just warmed, they're burning...

It WAS worth the wait, there are plot holes and some tropes richly mined. Some loved figures returned, some new ones seen for the first times and, as the first spoiler herein (I'm sure other's will put up others so consider this your last warning if you don't want to know)....

========================================== Don't look down ========================================

... a loved (?) original character gets killed off (probably because they don't feel confident to be up to being in Episodes 8 / 9).

There are some plot replays from earlier films - you can see the writers took care to include some parodies, but as with the Force there is Balance, the above killing and other devices actually stops things getting too sickly sweet in my humbled opinion.

I can see that the forecasts that this will be the biggest film so far in Cinematic History sound entirely reasonable, this IS the film you are looking for...

Jomin

Talem

Re: [Spoiler Alert] Star Wars - The Force Awakens

Post by Talem » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:50 am

Fin the ex storm trooper was unbelievable. He couldn't win a light saber fight against another storm trooper, yet is able to get a lightsaber hit on a sith who can use the force to basically stop matter from moving?

Lamont

Post by Lamont » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:25 pm

I was pretty disappointed honestly. It felt really rushed. The acting was meh, which is sad as I've come to expect better from Disney in the recent years.

The end scene with the girl and Luke staring at each other for twenty seconds....what the hell was that?

Maybe I'm just getting old and bitter, I expected better.

Astolfo

Post by Astolfo » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:46 pm

Huge letdown. Will not be seeing anymore movies by JJ Abrams. Stupid fool has ruined two great franchises.

Lykan

Post by Lykan » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:22 pm

I heard the acting was terrible going in to it, but I really don't think the acting was that bad. The writing and dialogue were both horrible in a lot of places imo, the actors were just reading terrible lines :p

Very disappointing overall. Too many issues to really go in to without spending more time on this letdown than desired!

Alison

Post by Alison » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:32 pm

I liked it. Felt very similar to ep 4 at times. But overall its a nice nod to the next generation. There are some ties to the books.

Also for the spoiler. Only in wotmud do we live forever. In movies the chars have to die sometime. Unless you are a highlander..

Or have lots of cookies.

Nvm.

Katherine

Post by Katherine » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:45 am

I really liked this Star Wars movie. Being written by the same writer who wrote The Empire Strikes Back, I expect about the same quality and hoped that the pacing and scope would track more with Ep IV than Ep I-III. Ep I-III seemed unfocused and broadly scoped trying to capture the fall of the entire Republic rather than spending time properly presenting the stories of the characters. Consequently, Ep I-III relied way too much on CGI to render large, extreme environments (the busiest cities, the driest planets, the most fiery planets, the most green and lush utopia planets, the busiest droid factories, etc) to deliver dramatic effect rather than leaning on dialog and mood. Anyways, back to the new movie--the new cast is good. There are discontinuities in the plot for sure, but the original 3 had their own problems--they were by no means works of sophisticated art. The writing for IV-VI are not exactly examples of thoughtful science fiction. So I did not expect VII to be any different. Fundamentally they are action movies in a sci fi environment rather than serious science fiction. The movie, like the original three, is cooked long enough to be digested by kids but still be interesting to adults. Taken for what it is, I was rather happy with the results.

Even so, one area about the writing I am not sure I liked as much was the relationship between Han and Leia. Han was much more edgy, temperamental, and "cool" in the original movies. Here Ford seems to be acting more like Indiana Jones...who is much more reserved and goal-oriented and less the "70s" scoundrel that is Han Solo. There were moments where he slipped back into Han Solo, but most of the time he was just old Indiana Jones.

I hope they develop Poe's character better. I really liked him and hope he becomes a main character in VIII rather than being relegated to second tier supporting cast.

Max van Sidow. I like this actor. I don't know why. I just do.

Rig

Post by Rig » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:53 am

Disappointing! It felt like episode IV quite a bit! But it wasn't horrible.

Razhak

Post by Razhak » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:49 am

It was the first movie of a trilogy. I felt it laid the groundworks well (offcourse we will all compare it to episode IV), but enough new things were introduced to keep us all wanting to see the rest. The new cast is good, not always brilliant, but deep enough of character and drama to be interesting. The old cast felt sometimes a bit meh, Leia was just standing around looking troubled, Han Solo was actually being more like an old Indiana Jones, and not really like an old Han Solo..

Not many really iconic scenes, although when Kylo Ren was watching the red shots streak across the stars from the bridge of his starship and the scenes on the bridge were worth remembering.

The scene with the stormtrooper dropping his weapon was funny as hell.. for sports people should look up who played that stormtrooper as a cameo ;)

I overall liked it enough to keep wanting to see more.