INPUT NEEDED: Non-discoverable game mechanics

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Aureus

INPUT NEEDED: Non-discoverable game mechanics

Post by Aureus » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:55 pm

Hi all --

We're documenting important mechanics and mob interactions that aren't "discoverable" -- that is, that you have to either be told about them, already know about them, use the wiki to find out about them, or mobs/mechanics where you have to play a game of "guess the syntax." I'd also include things that are common syntaxes for MUDs, but Wheel of Time fans who find the game might not find intuitive. Our goal is to ultimately make the game's important mechanics more accessible for new players.

An example is the grim storyteller or weary merchant -- these mobs don't tell you what they do, and you must know or guess the right keywords to trigger them.

We're working to compile a list of these, and then going to (slowly) work on updating them.

Here's the very-partial list we have so far:

Eq exchange:
- Slobbering trolloc
- Weary merchant
Grim storyteller (updated as of today)
Prac mobs
Keep butcher (syntax for butchering the mobs as well)
Escaping Zamara
Climbing up/down in Lugard
Potion brokers
CTFs
Black Flame

Razhak

Re: INPUT NEEDED: Non-discoverable game mechanics

Post by Razhak » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:41 pm

Eq exchange at Shaidar also has no mobol to tell you what he exchanges: I know what he exchanges, coz I wrote up the descriptions like a decade and a half ago, but you cant ask him how or what

Drybones

Post by Drybones » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:22 pm

This might be a tall task!

"order departure" on SS boats.

Boats from Bandar Eban (some don't work at all?)

To'raken from flame to tarendrelle

River Boats

Ocean Boats

Gem mining

taxidermist / bounty hunter is complicated, fetch-questy.

How to basin on DS (still don't know why sometimes I can enter the room, sometimes I can't. I have only ever managed to get a single basin report, although I hear you can get 3)

Portal stones

pull leaf for ways

entering/exiting mobol clan rooms is not consistent.

A lot of smobs seem impossible to do without outside help (maradon zamara, jafar puzzles, murgoz, the use a rogue to scale a wall smob, etc.), maybe even the smob quest chains. I still have nfc how the banners work.

Homelands, how stats work, etc.

Becoming a darkfriend

What practices are deprecated. Found out that chains had become flails the hard way. Why doesn't camo work, and why can I prac it.

How terrain affects skills like charge. How mounting affects spear/lance damage. Weapon damage in general, I remember spending hours studying tickle/hit/frag histograms back before the wiki existed :P

I'm sure some of these are supposed to be mysterious, but I'm just listing all the things that I frequently have to check the wiki for and/or annoy me. I'll edit this list as I think of more things :P

Scrat

Post by Scrat » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:21 am

Joining/using the crafting guilds. Thinking the materials one tied to Baerlon in particular.

Taku

Post by Taku » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:26 am

the materials one got combined into 1 guild, so if you join melting, you can make leather and wood etc. try "may i please become a member of your crafting guild" (will have to be confirmed the exact syntax but its something like that.)

Sanguine

Post by Sanguine » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:06 pm

The fact that, when statting, max Con for female channelers under certain Homelands can produce higher than 280 HPs while.

Drybones

Post by Drybones » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:59 pm

Some of my favorite things are the free adventure pals

"follow me rufferto"

"play baby", "comf baby" for the s'redits.

I can't recall if ankle biters ask for food until they are already following you. Maybe those too.

I'm not sure if any quest chain lets you know you can improve exp by grouping, and that the level of the group mate changes how beneficial it is.

Enoch

Post by Enoch » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:59 am

I think there's a thing where you can send messages or thank people so that they get rewarded by talking to ancient trees or something.

Kordin

Post by Kordin » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:33 am

Enoch wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:59 am
I think there's a thing where you can send messages or thank people so that they get rewarded by talking to ancient trees or something.
It's on the wiki - https://wotmud.fandom.com/wiki/Pay_It_Forward

Detritus

Post by Detritus » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:02 am

Acually all clan mobol, how to issue things, how to use coaches, retool stuff, warrant, pardon.

A good thing would be a generic thing you can say to find out what a mob does.

Consistancy, would love if create something like
say "help" in mobol rooms (instead of 1 of 50 different better RP things to say) to find out what a mob can do.

just like every different boat has a different RP way it's mobol works.