Discussion Topic: Use of Barracks

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Draz

Discussion Topic: Use of Barracks

Post by Draz » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:47 am

Hi all - we are well past 30 days on this feature - and.. I don't think its being used or has been taken up elsewhere;

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13192&p=113188&hili ... an#p113188

I'd like to make a few recommendations;

1) can this be cheaper - frankly if it was worth it to clans we would have seen uptake
2) can an alternative be added to this wherein for a similar cost - a clan has this for all of their allies
3) could there be an alternative wherein it takes your horse or group with you
4) alternative to this - if the coach has max passengers, can this be removed?

This would open up clans to potentially being open to paying for it
This would open up clans to having a reason for added allies and pushing that diplomacy side
This might somehow compete with any of the other transport options for groups
This might somehow be better than existing coaches

Right now we can horse-hop faster than any coach in the game (that is accessible to most players), we can refresh ride groups at almost the same rate, we can use ways, portal stones, boats, ships, existing coaches etc. We can gate.

As an alternative - as I believe this is the 'Tar Valon' clan ally benefit - what about changing this to gates.
It would be RPish (They were using gates to travel between cities)
It would be useable by groups so long as allied
It would be instant rather than locked in a coach for up to 3 tics
The code I think exists?

Viva

Re: Discussion Topic: Use of Barracks

Post by Viva » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:18 pm

KMG has no barracks and no way to participate in this.

Evangaline

Re: Discussion Topic: Use of Barracks

Post by Evangaline » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:54 am

I appreciate the hard work going into more “political” mechanics and options for clans, but I’m not a fan of more teleportation systems, especially safe ones. Here’s what I posted in the Tower forum at the time it was added, and I don’t think my point of view has really changed:

My general feedback is the game needs fewer "safe" travel options, not more.

Examples of good systems, in my mind:
- The ways: usable by both sides, dangerous, require leaving a city
- Portal stones: usable by both sides, require leaving a city
- Gate: requires walking there & lost on death, requires practicing it, heavy SP cost, can be followed

Okay systems:
- Ocean boats: allows some raiding between the cities of Illian, Tear, Falme -- but could be better with some zone-wide messages prior to departing that allow enemies to jump on board with you
- Black flame: one-way, the southern exits are only accessible by trollocs who have their own move limitations -- but would probably be better implemented as a moves-refreshing checkpoint system for people who don't have noquit vs a teleport system, so that it still requires walking. Ie, replace with special fade mobs that can compel trollocs who don't have noquit.

Bad systems:
- Coaches: right outside a city, avoids all possibility of running into other players
- River Boats: Makes a walkable route more safe

This one seems like an even crazier version of coaches. I really dislike the idea of it. One thing I've noticed since coming back is the world feels a lot less alive than in the old days because I almost never see anyone outside of a city square, whereas I used to cross paths with people en route to different places, see them out xping, etc. There were more opportunities for random chance encounters and interaction, and the world also felt more alive (and a bit more dangerous) as a consequence.

Agree with Liia's comment re: general hits also. It will allow people to swarm into a city being attacked, which defeats the purpose.

Maybe instead add some new horse loads along the path between Maradon and TV that are accessible only to Tower/BGs? Like a very low level horse handler mob that will issue up to 2-3 gray palfreys per zone reset if you are WT or a Sald Cav.