Discussion Topic: Seanchan Race

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Sanguine

Re: Discussion Topic: Seanchan Race

Post by Sanguine » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:33 am

Have not had a chance to be super active on my SS the past couple of weeks, but when I have been on it seems like there is some northern PK going on, and I have not really seen any Children of Light, Red Eagles, etc., or people that I recognize that would participate in SW PK. Perhaps everyone is on their SS.. I agree with you though, but I'm not sure what a solution would be. Could we try a month of changes to incentivize bonus scalp rewards for kills in some of those zones? That might get trolls to raid, maybe some northern PKers would grumble about having to come south to find a fight, but it's only fair since SS has to go north to find a fight!

sevas

Post by sevas » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:58 pm

To me SW pk died completely when EF changes happened. The whole zone change thing pretty much just threw everyone off and they just stopped going EF.

Sanguine

Post by Sanguine » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:43 pm

SS as a side was dead way before this change, no? Wasn't this change done in order to try and promote more PK (and also be more RP in design)? Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think I was playing when the change was implemented.

Not -too much- PK was previously happening -inside- the old EF. Sure, some was and it was a deathtrap against Tzao tank squads. But the rest of the area is fine/same for PK..

Roryn

Post by Roryn » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:34 pm

EF is more than fine... I feel like I have to say that a lot. :(

Sanguine

Post by Sanguine » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:50 pm

Roryn wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:34 pm
Would agree, though I've not PKed in it much I highly doubt the zone design would hinder PK much. Though if PK picks up, we're sure to find the flaws.

Yeri

Post by Yeri » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:20 pm

Roryn wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:34 pm
Honestly, still think it's terrible for PK. The town, not the area around it - that's as awesome as it ever was. But the town itself is filled with norides, a ton of aggro mobs, and is pretty chokey and fleetrappable, being a series of squares. In 1v1 PK, sure it's fine, but in 5v5 PK I would *not* want to be the last person fleeing out of there. Oh and the palisades don't respond to gate anymore, I mean wagongate, really?

Roryn

Post by Roryn » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:24 pm

Ok, so... change all gates to palisade. And yeah, 5v5 wouldn't want that, but, your group can also help you there in that they can hit the gate b/c I don't think Roahin sits at any of the palisades? I'm not 100% on that.

Adael

Post by Adael » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:20 pm

I mean, old EF was arguably worse for PK yeah? Only two gates, still the same number of norides roughly, only one path so not as many squares to maybe dline around (granted only really able to dline in the new EF if you’re mounted and succeed on a flee, so take that with a grain of salt). Only major change is the addition of Roawhin really I think.

tekela

Post by tekela » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:45 pm

Old EF could go either way. There was mob support in shops and such, so it favored LS, but it was only stacked overwhelmingly if the patrol wandered in. The current one has worse double-lines and is pretty hard-stacked for LS with Roawhin and the RE DG right inside.

The placement also ruined the block/flee/regroup dynamics around Wagon Bridge, which was a pretty important part of the PK in that zone. That being said, the only thing I really dislike about the change is the manor being inside and not at the end of Quarry Road.

zeek

Post by zeek » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:23 am

promoted some not so great door play if you had a big group to trap some poor ss inside or vice versa. However, alot of people mastered at that time and it largely worked. You knew what you were risking by going inside etc. It was fun.

I agree with making things more "rpish" or "bookish" but, we have a bad habit about fixing stuff that's not broken and then wondering what happened after the fact. I'd just strongly consult the playerbase before releasing features or at least ones that greatly affect people. I know this is a bizarre concept but, it works for about every successful game out there, a prime example is Valheim. Just listen to the playerbase and try and play close to those requests. It's a game, for players to play in, so .. just give the players what they want within reason.

If you're not sure, take a vote! if like 80% of the people say "convert it to old ef" it doesn't mean it has to happen tonight, it's just saying maybe sometime in the near future, if we can swing it with resources, we focus on trying to make that happen.

As far as SW Pk, I don't know what we need to do to revive pk. I always thought the sw zones were fun and well designed. I've had a lot of fun in those zones on all sides. I think there's a numbers issue that's not working in our favor. I guess the bigger question is how could we attract new players and that's another rabbit hole/black hole all together :D got to have people to participate, good and bad. new and old. If 50 new people joined the game we'd see more SW pk. Is what it is. How realistic it is to capture that many new players I'm not sure. It's not realistic at all in it's current state, because we don't have a plan as a community/staff/game to attract new players in a way that we can measure and improve on.