Discussion Topic: Seanchan Race

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
micha

Re: Discussion Topic: Seanchan Race

Post by micha » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:43 am

also, there's virtually no reason to bring people to the southwest anymore so that also has a large affect on things.. occasional exper in noose and smobber for kennel keeper or something but, besides that it's pretty dang quiet.

varcoz

Post by varcoz » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:26 pm

Revert EF back to prior form. Actually have people to pk down there? Stop the drastic changes that makes older players not interested?
TBH I'd rather see the side deleted and merged with LS. SW pk is dead. Warrior changes are atrocious. Anytime I log on SS there's fk all for pk. Tbh I find myself wondering why I log on the few times I do. On any char. Sporadic moments of fun mixed with time spent better elsewhere.

Sanguine

Post by Sanguine » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:54 pm

I'm slowly coming around to the SS race as they're implemented now, but I think the biggest problem might be the fact that it's hard to support a balanced three sides when RP sets those sides up to not be free-for-all. I think we need to think of ways to not have one side often steamroll the other. Until the warrior changes are reverted, DS is using this time to roll through cities, I assume for easy AQPS, which often leaves LS unable to defend. SS has had a good showing recently, but it then pulls from LS/DS creating a disparity. And then if any DS does show up, the two previously warring sides are now able to "2v1" DS. Maybe it's not as a big of a problem as I'm thinking?

zeek

Post by zeek » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:01 pm

we're the best! don't delay, stat your ss today!

Kazor

Post by Kazor » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:11 pm

I suck at the game but ss has been fun so far. Died a bunch but actually had a few fun crit crit fights which is rare up north these days. Horses are plentiful and people seem nice

toshiro

Post by toshiro » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:11 pm

As someone who exclusively played SS back in the day, I quit when the side died back in 08-ish. I tried to stat some LS chars, but it was too tedious for me and I gave up. Every couple of years, I would log on to my chars and check rerolls, see who list empty, etc. Then I would pop off again.

When I realized we were humans, I started playing again. It was nice to have a who list, I could play the characters I liked without having to restat and start over, and I thought I would be able to group pk again up north. I was hoping we would be just another justice clan, with ample oportunities to RP and still have the ability to PK. Then I realized all the mobs still attacked me, and that SS had been reverted back to a separate race.

Regardless, I started playing again. It took a while to figure out how to do basic stuff again., since the signage wasn't great. Plus, nobody actively played the side, so asking for help typically sent me in circles. Over time, I noticed a few things that seemed to be keeping people away.

1. Lack of information on how things work.
2. Lack of activity resulting in people not being able to progress their characters in clans.
3. Lack of activity making group play impossible.
4. Shared channels made LS uncomfortable. Now that SS activity has picked up, it has made LS less fun to play b/c people don't want to communicate on globals. It makes the place feel empty.

As activity picks up, points 1, 2, and 3 get better. But ultimately, the things that make people want to play any side is progression and companionship.

Easy statting led to a huge activity boon back in like 2005 or whatever. The regemented RP that SS has made for great group play, since unclanned / low rank people basically did whatever the high ranked players wanted to. It's similar to when Ominas logs on and tells people to come TV. His personality tied with his master gaidin status entice people to come. Tzao, Faul, Nargus, and many others . filled that role for PKers on SS. The many nurturing players in IA filled that role for the RP/smob crowd (too many to list).

The smobbing was great, the RP was great, the PK was great. But, numbers dwindled. My impression was that problems arose as the side expanded. They added so many clans on top of the original three, that I think it broke down that regimented structure. Any time you add clans, you split the numbers up into smaller groups. People feel less comraderie with the who-list. It's harder to find someone online from a particular clan, etc. It's the paradox of choice.

It's difficult to recapture the magic with how small the player base is. But I think that regardless of the race, I think any changes should be aimed at concentrating the playerbase. Increasing the frequency of interaction, the ability to collaborate with others, and decreasing incentives for solo-play should be the focus. DS is great b/c everything is on a very small scale: few zones, few clans. SS was great for the same reason.

LS breaks the mold, but it is the side everyone is funneled to (non-experienced players here please). Even with that funneling, Protus is making surveys on how to re-ignite the fire on LS.

I'd say, give all homelands illian warrior stats for rogues, hunters, and warriors (knock some int/wil off for DS). Give all homelands something decent for channies. Make statting less of a chore. Let people choose homelands for RP, spend more time developing characters and personas, and then work on concentrating the playerbase.

The last part is progress. Warrior changes sucked for pk, but they sure brought groups together on DS for farming altqps, qps, and rares. Giving people a path towards their goals (people have been working on fading for over 20 years!), and encouraging group play to receive those rewards would be a good move.

For example, I made a darkfriend recently, just to learn a few weeks later that it is impossible to ever reach the AQP requirement. Even if I could, I figured it would be many years before I ever became known, and then many more to fade. I don't mind things being difficult. I loved the early DF quests, I could earn an alt qp or two each time I logged on with about an hour or two of effort.. Then when all I head left was turning in rares, the time / reward ratio went up dramatically. The warrior changes were a great example of how to keep things engaging. Hitting cityheads for tps/aqps/etc. was accessable for groups. It encouraged people getting together and going into dangerous territory.

It was obviously a bit lopsided, and needed some adjustment. But, in general, encouraging that type of aggressive group play is great. Providing similar rewards for LS to group up and defend their cities would be even better. I dunno how to do it, maybe own cities a bit and provide extra rewards for a race whenever they scalp another race in their cities. Whatever form it takes, it's obvious that people are willing to group and fight if the reward is there.

Siro

Post by Siro » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:29 am

In the last few months, there has been a visible increase in Seanchan. Changes have been made to clanning in the EVA (auto clanning), smobs and the addition of the smob tower and daily questing has seen a boost.

Where do players think Seanchan sits right now and is there any more feedback that people want to offer?

Roryn

Post by Roryn » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:30 am

Incentivize SW pk for LS please. Give them a reason to want to fight back the Seanchan. I don't care if it's just for SW clans, or how you have to do it.

My biggest complaint as a primarily pk focus'd player on the Seanchan race is that there just aren't many people to fight, and if they are, they're mostly fighting up north. Just incentivize it somehow.

I see lots of people say "oh go raid Andor". And that's all well and good, I really don't mind doing that at all, but even then a lot of times people just ignore us. We're on mounts, we're not leaving bloodies like trollocs, and we typically have good wil. People can't be assed.

Rig

Post by Rig » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:21 am

Can’t be bothered to pk SS 99% of the time. Most of you run straight to falme/tarendelle damane as soon as I try to start some PK and then I immediately leave and go find something else to do. Need to incentivize people to pk you yourselves, IMO.

Roryn

Post by Roryn » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:30 am

While I understand your point, there are a few of the older pkers hanging around that would love to have people to fight. :P