Discussion Topic: Upcoming Weapon Changes

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Thore

Re: Discussion Topic: Upcoming Weapon Changes

Post by Thore » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:41 pm

Aureus wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:43 pm
Thirdly, I'm still keeping an eye on abs. Combo might be a bit too strong, but I'm not 100% on that yet.

Fourth (and final) point is I do agree short blades melee damage is too high. It crowds out fencing blades and can shred abs. I am hesitating from nerfing it though because it also nerfs stab damage. Open to ideas.
Absolutely, from my POV (also I have good rogues) nerf stab damage even more! For a time. Get the good players OFF that class. Give the rest of us a breath of fresh air for a bit?

Also I chuckle at people now saying EQ is too easy to get. Perhaps they weren't the people in the past saying EQ is too hard to get, but I suspect some were. It's more a playtime thing than a "too hard". Make K-trinks and Jade/Emmy rings and sash a lot harder to get than no-trink ABS. Then make jcuff/obsid/gring/cbelt even harder still. Send some low level imm on a "document a sampling of all the active PKers current EQ setups" and before you make these sweeping changes, RESET everyone's eq. :) Those in the know, I think, will be back. The leavers will leave, and then come back.

Or, better yet, make trinks decay.

Zarth

Post by Zarth » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:00 pm

My main issue is that the type of PK that we seem to be encouraging is combo/dodge where people survive for a long time and run around a lot. That's fine I guess, but it's not the type of PK I enjoy.

In my opinion this video describes the best type of pk:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1407737253351374852

Ailak

Post by Ailak » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:52 pm

What if instead of upping the damage and ob on abs weapons we could add in some kind of skill that would just let the wielder strike twice? Maybe that skill could also raise the ob while its being used? Could make it cost a lot of pracs and maybe cancel the ability to flee while engaged to balance it out a bit.

Rig

Post by Rig » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:21 pm

Ailak wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:52 pm
What if instead of upping the damage and ob on abs weapons we could add in some kind of skill that would just let the wielder strike twice? Maybe that skill could also raise the ob while its being used? Could make it cost a lot of pracs and maybe cancel the ability to flee while engaged to balance it out a bit.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

isabel

Post by isabel » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:33 am

Raiste wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:25 pm
It is time to accept that non-bonused warriors are PVE characters---and, for ABS users out there, to accept that playing a character with only 2 out of 3 physical stats at an adequate level implies (and should imply) that you're going to be a second class citizen in melee-based combat that doesn't involve teamwork.
A rogue saying warriors are not a real pk class.

That's where we're at.

Davor

Post by Davor » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:41 am

Warriors are fine. That goes double for DS who can stat 21 str. They could use some other nifty class bonus like another 5 Ob or whatever.

Like tekela said, if you’re so upset, get a 19 19 hunter and play abs. You’re still going to have a dung time because the actual problem is abs set up. And again as tekela said, the answer is not increasing abs - it should actually be downed or all this steel plated dung needs to be made rare. Remember when the best plate was a black and gold? Even shinings were rare for a long time. You could start implementing some gear like the hammered vambrace that is heavy, gives abs, but also an OB boost. But most importantly - you need stronger weapons. We are making changes Willy nily so let’s just go and add 10 Ob and a die to all the upper level abs weapons. Start balancing the variety of rare abs weapons and rare combo and dodge weapons.

Thore

Post by Thore » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:56 am

I don't agree that warriors are fine. From a balance perspective they may be close or almost fine, but from a fun perspective they are swirling down the toilet bowl.

Someone should survey wholists for a while and see what classes are being played. Wish we had that data.

isabel

Post by isabel » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:40 am

Davor wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:41 am
Warriors are fine. That goes double for DS who can stat 21 str. They could use some other nifty class bonus like another 5 Ob or whatever.

Like tekela said, if you’re so upset, get a 19 19 hunter and play abs. You’re still going to have a dung time because the actual problem is abs set up. And again as tekela said, the answer is not increasing abs - it should actually be downed or all this steel plated dung needs to be made rare. Remember when the best plate was a black and gold? Even shinings were rare for a long time. You could start implementing some gear like the hammered vambrace that is heavy, gives abs, but also an OB boost. But most importantly - you need stronger weapons. We are making changes Willy nily so let’s just go and add 10 Ob and a die to all the upper level abs weapons. Start balancing the variety of rare abs weapons and rare combo and dodge weapons.
when have i ever disagreed with you :)

i just thought raiste's post was v ironically funny. plus he is clearly unlearnt in the Way of the Warrior.

blytzkrieg

Post by blytzkrieg » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:46 am

I have to agree with Davor here. The CLASS is not the problem. It’s the setup. I have seen countless times combo people getting hit 5, 6, 7 times at crit (and keep in mind I’m wielding dg axe and eaxe usually) but in abs I get hit 3-4 MAYBE 5 times and I’m dead. Also to keep in perspective, I have 425 max hp. How is that possible? Am I that unlucky with half tick regens or is there something else going on?

Let’s think about this. Cc dagger is what, 6d4? So 24 dmg twice per round = 48 dmg...and eaxe is what 7d6? So max round dmg is 42... so a character who doesn’t get hit is doing more dmg per round than a guy who gets hit EVERY round. Doesn’t sound very balanced to me.
Last edited by blytzkrieg on Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rig

Post by Rig » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:17 am

blytzkrieg wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:46 am
I have to agree with Thore here. The CLASS is not the problem. It’s the setup. I have seen countless times combo people getting hit 5, 6, 7 times at crit (and keep in mind I’m wielding dg axe and eaxe usually) but in abs I get hit 3-4 MAYBE 5 times and I’m dead. Also to keep in perspective, I have 425 max hp. How is that possible? Am I that unlucky with half tick regens or is there something else going on?
Seems pretty mathematically incorrect here. That would somehow mean that:
A: combo has more ABS % than ABS
B: combo gives some sort of hp bonus

Neither of those are correct or exist. What you probably notice is someone wearing a fade plate/ornate with gold greaves and they get hit in the legs/chest by low damage rolls. Same math applies ABS players.