Discussion Topic: Upcoming Weapon Changes

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Sanguine

Re: Discussion Topic: Upcoming Weapon Changes

Post by Sanguine » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:03 am

Can someone implement some graphs/charts that rate a weapon either A) against the others in its class or B) against all other weapons?

E.g.,

Code: Select all

an oddly curved longsword
Dmg     0 [------X---] 10
OB      0 [----X-----] 10
PB      0 [--------X-] 10
Bash    0 [-----X----] 10
Overall 0 [------X---] 10
Someone's gotta be bored enough to make it visually digestible to simpletons like me!

dager

Post by dager » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:49 am

Summary

All daggers are damage buffed good.
All abs weapons other than mauls, mallet and binnols are waste of time, better to use super buffed 1.5 hander and shield even in full abs.
All flails other than binnols are nerfed into waste of space.
All lances are waste of space.

Either stab, abs clubs, 1.5handed axes/longs or 2handed spears/polearms for less damage easy pracs. Channies still same usual suspects as always for lightweight defence.

isabel

Post by isabel » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:51 am

dager wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:49 am
Summary

All daggers are damage buffed good.
All abs weapons other than mauls, mallet and binnols are waste of time, better to use super buffed 1.5 hander and shield even in full abs.
All flails other than binnols are nerfed into waste of space.
All lances are waste of space.

Either stab, abs clubs, 1.5handed axes/longs or 2handed spears/polearms for less damage easy pracs. Channies still same usual suspects as always for lightweight defence.
I seriously LOVE posts like this. Thank you. Most of the time when people like me ask a q we get a flood of well-meaning data thrown at us. If I could parse all that then I would probably not need to ask the question :D

Appreciate this very much.

Aureus

Post by Aureus » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:34 pm

Eol wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:29 pm
The linked stats are identical to the values I used and identical to Meren's values I believe.
Polearms vs Spears

Thanks for the feedback. The combo polearms were in a sorry state before, so I upped them in the first round, but I did not go as far as I could have.

Though, the bash assessment listed here is not quite accurate depending on your eq setup. Worth noting I'm looking at heavy combo (gold greaves, etc.), full pb trinkets, and a brave, non-master 19/18/19 trolloc hunter as the baseline.

I generally agree that they could be stronger though, so we're going to make a couple tweaks to polearms later this afternoon:
  1. Increased blue steel trident's OB to 70, and barbed steel trident's OB to 74
  2. Increased blue steel trident's PB to 74, and barbed steel trident's PB to 77
  3. Reduced barbed steel trident's weight to 15.4 lbs to compensate for the higher OB and PB
That leaves them in this state, all of which should be viable for combo:
  • The gold spear is the heaviest hitter of the bunch, but doesn't bash quite as well as the polearms. It is also the least defensive.
  • The polearms bash the best and have well-rounded stats otherwise.
  • The red and gold spear offers better defense.
Blue Tasseled Spear

I like this weapon too: agree there's lots of history. But, BT was basically a trash weapon prior to these changes. It was not good at anything: too heavy for def, too light for combo, mediocre all around. In these changes I split spears into combo and def categories because there are so many of them (mostly lower end), and blue tasseled is the high end def option. If you're full def I think it is a very nice option.

Spinnock

Post by Spinnock » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:30 pm

Aureus wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:34 pm
Though, the bash assessment listed here is not quite accurate depending on your eq setup. Worth noting I'm looking at heavy combo (gold greaves, etc.), full pb trinkets, and a brave, non-master 19/18/19 trolloc hunter as the baseline.
All my numbers were based on being mounted, put my presets in my post. Why would I compare spears and polearms as a character that can't mount 8-)

Waizi

Post by Waizi » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:13 pm

re: more weapons being 1.5 hands. This kind of cripples fencing blades. If almost everyone you're going to run into is using a non disarm weapon.

Roryn

Post by Roryn » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:43 am

Small thoughts:

Lances are not worth the investment of pracs when compared to 2h spears. Just down the ob, up the dmg and keep them as a secondary charge weapon that will hurt like hell if you actually get hit by it. Then they have a purpose in the game.

Combo flails are not as good as balance team seems to think. Multi-hit is not worth the lack of damage and ob. So they will never be used other than by maybe someone trying to hardcore exp. Which stinks, as they're a cool image. Either remove multi-hit and balance appropriately, or realize that multi-hit isn't as great as people think and balance appropriately anyways :P

Detritus

Post by Detritus » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:27 pm

Are you really leaving it at that and happy with the result?

isabel

Post by isabel » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:32 pm

Lances are a weapon that litearlly have a clan named after them. Think SSL was a really nice abs/charge weapon that you could even throw a shield on for some budget combo. Definitely some of us played it as a primary weapon.

Consider the RP Aureus!

(@Thore - snicker, fixed)
Last edited by isabel on Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thore

Post by Thore » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:54 pm

isabel wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:32 pm
Lances are the only weapon that litearlly have a clan named after them.
Ahem!?