Discussion Topic: Upcoming Weapon Changes

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Angkar

Re: Discussion Topic: Upcoming Weapon Changes

Post by Angkar » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:46 am

Weapon / OB / PB / Weight / Die / Mean Stab / Max Stab / StD

a silver-winged basilard.. 74 12 1.5 6d4 250 480 52.52
a sharp, red stone dagger 70 10 1.5 3d9 250 525 68.91
a curved clear dagger..... 70 16 0.8 6d4 250 480 52.52
Surely 7d4 was the better damage model for basilard, making it an actual upgrade over any other dagger.

Following the last change, it's now...a CC but worse? If a weapon is so similar to it's cohorts I'm not sure it belongs in the rare craft category.

At least before using a basilard was an improvement over a red stone in every way.

Below is basilard if 7d4. Mean stab still sits far below the rare daggers, and melee stats would still be far below. Suppose there's a further argument that triples are miles ahead of their class compared to other rares.
a silver-winged basilard.. 74 12 1.5 7d4 281.25 540 57.16
Who provided the feedback? Who wanted to homogenise the class? Is there a secret round table still happening, or are imms playing mortals and deciding their experience alone is sufficient?

Aureus

Post by Aureus » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:53 pm

The melee is too strong on 7d4 once you consider attack: it would handily outclass fencing blades' (and most other weapons') damage. The high end short blades are already pushing the boundary.

RE 6d4 vs 3d9: we looked at what people were gravitating towards to make the decision. It was something I'd been keeping an eye on for awhile and we just went with the damage most players seemed to prefer. I was with you in thinking 3d9 was the better choice personally, since that is what I set it as initially, but I also do not think they are really so different. Play a red stone if you prefer that damage: that's the whole reason to have options. ;) Short blades are also pretty forgiving if you prefer to use one for stab and another for melee, due to their light weight.

Weir

Post by Weir » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:12 pm

Angkar makes a good point though, with the CC and basilard nearly identical now, why is the basilard still worthy of the "rare" name? It is a tradeoff of 8 OB better on the basilard against 4 PB worse and almost twice the weight compared to a CC. I'd consider that mostly equal or worse in some cases.

It doesn't feel like it is worthy of being "rare" in the slightest anymore.

Aureus

Post by Aureus » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:29 pm

Weir wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:12 pm
Angkar makes a good point though, with the CC and basilard nearly identical now, why is the basilard still worthy of the "rare" name? It is a tradeoff of 8 OB better on the basilard against 4 PB worse and almost twice the weight compared to a CC. I'd consider that mostly equal or worse in some cases.

It doesn't feel like it is worthy of being "rare" in the slightest anymore.
Basilard isn't a crafting token item, so it's only slightly better.

Davor

Post by Davor » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:37 pm

After analyzing the changes I have come to the following conclusion. Items were weirdly adjusted +/- 4-5% here and there.

Then we have the massive buff to the dreadlord shirt which got a 40% boost to offset a "riding bash bonus". I don't even understand that. Doesn't every class have to contend with the riding bash bonus. If a change puts Jestin on reaver, you have fucked up. This all looks like a ruse to up DL shirts :p

tekela

Post by tekela » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:57 pm

Davor wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:37 pm
This all looks like a ruse to up DL shirts :p
We’ve been hoodwinked, bamboozled, led astray, run amok and flat out deceived!

Aureus

Post by Aureus » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:41 pm

The ascension of Jestin is at hand.

Re: lances I will take a look. The streamer lance’s bash could probably be better by .1-2 lbs at a quick glance.

I’ll still take a look at any other tweaks here and there that folks point out. With 350 weapons there are bound to be a few oddities lurking. What you should not expect is any massive swings to entire classes.

Kordin

Post by Kordin » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:19 pm

When can we expect all weapons from those lists to be in game? Since a few of them are not at the moment...? (not counting also the uniques) :geek:

vaheed

Post by vaheed » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:37 pm

Aureus wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:41 pm
The ascension of Jestin is at hand.

Re: lances I will take a look. The streamer lance’s bash could probably be better by .1-2 lbs at a quick glance.

I’ll still take a look at any other tweaks here and there that folks point out. With 350 weapons there are bound to be a few oddities lurking. What you should not expect is any massive swings to entire classes.
Why not cull some of it? If not some then a large majority. I cannot see a need for anything rated less than medium in any category of weapon and more than one medium seems pushing it.

Sanguine

Post by Sanguine » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:00 pm

Kordin wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:19 pm
When can we expect all weapons from those lists to be in game? Since a few of them are not at the moment...? (not counting also the uniques) :geek:
Some should be re-introduced, but surely not all are required to be in play or released into the game.