Discussion Topic: Upcoming Weapon Changes

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
tekela

Re: Discussion Topic: Upcoming Weapon Changes

Post by tekela » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:34 am

It sort of depends on what you're looking for -- if you're looking for something akin to or equivalent to berserk attack, you're going to keep being disappointed. I don't think the problem is with warriors anymore so much as it is with the issues we've sort of discussed with weapons and mob weapons.

Fermin

Post by Fermin » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:30 am

I still think warriors need something to set them apart and give them back some of the fighting prestige they just lost. Again, this probably isn't needed for balance, but I think it would be good for morale. I think these are either/or because both are quite powerful

1 warrior prac, 2 ranger prac, 2 rogue practice (I'd imagine this is enough to open up a lot of diversity, including stab + bash for dual wielding?)

or

master damage (the new damage based on rank) doesn't get split in half but is rather the straight rank. IE rank 5 = +5 damage / rank 7 +7 damage

tekela

Post by tekela » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:27 pm

I think 50% of the OB you'd get from offensive posture across all your moods is a pretty adequate class bonus, along with 1.5x damage against basically any patrol or master mob. The damage reduction passive is also noticeable against mobs that aren't equipped with souped up mob weapons, so I think that gets immediately better when we acknowledge nobody is going to use 'a rapier' just because it's been slightly upped along with everything else and revert them back to their old damage. Same goes for if we adequately rebalance ABS and ABS weapons. Those are all pretty nice, directly combat-related bonuses (if you get away from the idea that PK is just hitting another dude) that no other class has.

I think the point is that if you want diversity of options within the character itself, you should play a hunter. That's like one of two main reasons why people have always picked hunters despite every other class having better damage output.

Though now that you mention it, it'd be interesting to turn attack into a warrior practice now that berserk attack is gone and see what that does for balancing short blades, reviving fencing blades (primarily in the hands of warriors that already have OB), and giving warriors at least one more extremely viable set up or set up combination that caters to their bonuses all in one go. With only dodge to practice at a cost of 3 per, it might be pretty nice.

Fermin

Post by Fermin » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:20 pm

I had to go find the post because I didn't realize Warriors get +5 ob

that is something at least, I had missed it

arjuna

Post by arjuna » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:24 pm

Making attack a warrior skill is a pretty interesting idea for balancing rogues.

Fermin

Post by Fermin » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:27 pm

Seems good, DPS on projectiles seemed to be very similar to attack (anecdotal vs mobs) while conserving ammunition in pk would result in fewer
DPS in general but some bursts (which is good for deaths in pk). Probably hard to change something like that though.

Snorgg

Post by Snorgg » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:56 pm

As a user of this all mighty and powerful attack, I strongly don't support this. But given the current rate of pk/changes I'd say it will probably happen :p

Kryyg

Post by Kryyg » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:35 am

Intriguing. I would request a class change on Matheus.

Rig

Post by Rig » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:58 am

Makes 2h pracs less crazy. Makes you choose between effectively melee-ing or stabbing as well! Support.

Skurk

Post by Skurk » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:53 am

Seems interesting. Could be a v cool change. Am curious though, if rogues (especially troll rogues who have lower pracs) had even less incentive to melee wouldn't that make it more "fleebe stabber" style pk or whatever people say?