Feedback on "an explosive idea"

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Tyrex

Feedback on "an explosive idea"

Post by Tyrex » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:29 pm

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13562

This change seems to have mostly made bush/fence, historically pretty interesting doors, completely uninteresting. The mobol has caused the door to be non-spammable. I'm also not sure I've ever seen someone actually try to blow them up and I'm not sure if that is because the mobol has broken the door without any effort to blow it up, or if it's lack of interest in the feature. Either way I would recommend changing the mobol to allow the doors to be spammed open/closed once again or removing it, because it's either not working as intended or, if it is, doesn't appear to be an improvement.

byrg

Re: Feedback on "an explosive idea"

Post by byrg » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:17 pm

Agree with tyrex. I think it's a cool idea, but it seems to have screwed with the door mechanics too much and now people pretty much just completely avoid them, from what I've seen.

Eol

Post by Eol » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:52 pm

It was a neat idea where our reach exceeded our grasp with mobol.

-It was essentially immediately clear that there's like a 7-8 pulse delay on the command going through after being entered ie. open bush, spam west - you'll have like 7-8 pulses go through before you are in the door. In general, this would make it difficult to trap someone in the door to begin with.

-I wondered if this delay would play out between 2 people inside the door ie. one is opening/fleeing, one is closing, will the door exist in a state of "slow" open and close events ie. when it opens it stays open for 7-8 pulses. The answer is no. If you are inside and spamming open;flee and the other person is spamming close - in my experience you will not get out. I think that the commands just start stacking up and the delay only plays in the beginning.

-Since no one ended up in the doors - the works weren't going to be used.

The heart of the problem though is.. there really isn't any reason for anyone to be in these doors. Yes, they picked what are probably the two most available doors in the north, but in the end those doors really aren't used that much anyway. The game has evolved. We all know how to doubleline. Most bait just isn't that tasty.

My thing is - you have to create a reason for someone to be in the door.

My insane idea - this is just brainstorming. I'm sure there are other options etc.

Get rid of the shrubbery cave system. Instead, just have 1 room behind shrubbery. Make it a CTF patty. I say shrubbery because its like one of the least used patrols/areas in the game. One of the bummers about a lot of zones is - one team always owns it. Trolls who go dusty know its Kajin time. Humans blight are like GD, a Ko'bal blight, ugh. Essentially it creates a situation where anyone can own it. Either side can be hitting the mobs and either side can be hitting a patty. And its in a door which I guess is nostalgia for people. No leadables. No rescuing like old school door crap.

Yeah, DF sucks. Probably better options out there. Could even move it all around. Just spitballing.

Aloisa

Post by Aloisa » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:55 pm

Cool idea, mobol makes it not good.

Razhak

Post by Razhak » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:52 am

The idea was interesting, the implementation (actually the way mobol treats it) not so interesting. In my opinion it would be best to revert to the old situation and see if theres other things we can do to spice things up.

Evangaline

Post by Evangaline » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:44 am

Agree this should be reverted. Interesting idea - MOBOL implementation makes it not workable.

Auriona

Post by Auriona » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:24 pm

Agree with sentiments above, don't think it worked quite as planned. Tilted strongly in the favor of the door-er when the door won't open or tell you when it's opening due to MOBOL. Please revert.

Vehruer

Post by Vehruer » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:03 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I've removed the mobol, so everything should be back to normal now.

Tyrex

Post by Tyrex » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:42 pm

Thanks Vehruer.

Detritus

Post by Detritus » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:49 am

Flawed execution in it's opportunity cost.

I could spend these fireworks that could save us when stuck in a fight berserk or i could waste them on this room I'm used to avoiding anyways.

Better would be if door opening and closing too much just made a fireworks explosion go off.