What things are fun to do on LS/SS?

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Spyder

What things are fun to do on LS/SS?

Post by Spyder » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:44 pm

After completing some long term goals on DS I find myself lacking motivation to play as I don't really have anything to work towards anymore on my main character.

While I still really enjoy the Darkside, I have come to feel that there isn't a great deal to accomplish outside of mastering another trolloc and pushing for DL. Smobbing on DS has become a boring routine for the most part, offering minimal excitement except for the odd rare load from Worms (sometimes over 20-30 hits between half decent loads?!?!)

So after much thought I wanted to give LS/SS a shot again. In 13 years I have only accrued 9 days playtime on LS/SS (statting mostly). I'm not a very savvy RPer and have no wish to play channelers, so that may narrow my options! So i ask.

What do you do for fun on Lightside or Seanchan?

What goals have you set?

What exciting things do you do to pass the time in 2015 on wotmud?

Yeri

Re: What things are fun to do on LS/SS?

Post by Yeri » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:58 pm

SS - so imagine DS, but with no remort options and PK generally pretty scarce. Now add relatively little mob support and the current channeler boom messing with PK in fairly open zones that typically aren't hot.

So to answer the question, uh, try to find PK and maybe master my non-master SS chars?

Jana

Post by Jana » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:42 pm

There are typically more people on LS, which is why it's my favorite side. There isn't always something to do, but compared to the other sides I think there are more options and opportunities.
You can find pk in the north or south on LS, and can now coach between the two areas pretty easily, so that's pretty awesome.
I often can scrounge up a fun smob group which I enjoy doing to fill my clan chest, or barrels in popular cities (which get emptied almost instantly).

Other random LS goals I like:
-tons of clans to join
-secret clans (zomg)
-Blademaster
-questing (clan, gambler, joncask, etc)

Anyways, i dont wanna continue stating things that may be obvious. But yeah, that's why I think YOU should play LS with meeee.

Spyder

Post by Spyder » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:13 pm

Blademaster, I see this tag a lot. How does one aquire it? Is it like the old blademaster? I see players get emotes too! Is it just for show or are there any actual bonuses anymore?

I remember dying repeatedly to Talar as newbie and always wanted to be a Blademaster. Quests seem like a fun idea on LS. Are they worth it though? To do them? Or is it more of a pass the time kind of thing? I remember crier quests but that was a long time ago now, collecting little bits of junk or killing targets to swap for prgressively less reward?

Clanning!!! What clans are fun on LS? Who has active members and does things on the regular? I don't want to be part of some elitist circle, just want to have some friends to smob/pk/quest with and generally have a good time while I burn hours of my life away watching text cycle across the screen! I enjoy the idea of smobbing a lot as i have my own library of smob loads and percentages that i would love to continue to expand!

One of my favourite things about being in Dha'vol was the activity level of the clan despite the lower playerbase. After remorting I really miss being part of that clan atmosphere. I'd love to find that on LS as i think personally it's the best part about the game.

Yeri, mate that sounds really uninviting :S I tried SS way back when the homelands were still open and it looked pretty inviting. Never really progressed because of not knowing anyone. Wish i had of in hindsight. So many smobs I can never record. The lack of players has had a huge impact on my DS enjoyment of late. Tempest and i are regularly the only players on DS during Australian evenings and while we can still find things to do, lacking other players to do more involved things sucks and I feel this is an issue on SS as well.

From what I understand, outside of alting equipment across sides the re-equip process on SS is pretty terrible too. That is just from others opinions and is just anecdotal evidence which i hope is incorrect.

LS seems like it might be the best choice really, though I know that having no one on the other sides sucks.

Zeeb

Post by Zeeb » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:30 pm

Terrible things like watching both horse moves and personal moves. You go hagg from full running from w of keep to all west elbow - so have to bring vials and they are a lot harder to get then DS. Both clanning and mastering take a lot longer from my experience...

In general when I feel like DS is a lot more relaxing and less frustrating then LS, and SS takes the relaxing nature of DS and makes it completely boring by giving you a ton of moves and no one to fight.

That said the funnest characters are on LS:

1. Building a horde of gold has always been quite enjoyable for me on LS. Selling and trading gear, selling to the various shops, killing the occasional innocent without getting caught. Backstabbing underhanded merchant has always been fun for me.

2. Male Channeler - the roleplay of getting known (however it comes about) and the adrenaline of such an overpowered character. Drop EF naked, grab a full wooden shield and a stick and go to work throwing fire at anything that moves. Only downside is that masters can completely shut you down because of the added ob and mob. Much harder to outplay any of the current playerbase on a MC. Still pretty fun, get a friend or two and probably a lot more possibilities open up.

3. The Game Changer - All sides have them but on LS they are needed most. These are the pkers/leaders that are so effective that when they join the fight even outnumbered you start to win. I don't claim to be this type of character but I think these are the best. I've watched a lot of different leaders step up on LS and always fun to fight with or against. I guess it is wotmud's typde of general. You can do this on any character in just about any clan, but I think it's probably the biggest challenge and most rewarding role on Wotmud.

Jana

Post by Jana » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:34 pm

1. You get blademaster by first, being a warrior, and second, defeating renegade blademaster. Its a duel to the death, and basically all luck. Buts a fun little goal for warriors, and you also get access to the (useless) blademaster house in caemlyn's inner city.

2. Quests are something to do when there's no pk, or for people who don't pk. They are also fun to figure out. They are mostly for qps, but there are stuff for newbies for equipment. Council quests are fun too because other players write those and award them to you.

3. Lots of clans are fun, but it depends on your playstyle and social circle. I would advise based on what you said to join an active clan. The most active clans at the moment seem to be the Tower (ofc), and, well... not a ton of others. Each clan has their spurts of activity though, so go for a clan in an area you'd like to hang out in. Eagles are fun for the south, LW is fun (yay) for Central mud, and Lancers/Sal cal is fun for north. Just some ideas.

4. Tons of smobbing options for LS, you can endlessly circle the map and smob if you have another person or two to do it with. I love LS smobbing; the other sides seem so restricting in what's easy to hit.

Basically the playerbase is so small that we can't always rely on other people, but LS does always have a higher who list, so its definitely worth a shot to play the side! :)

Spyder

Post by Spyder » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:42 pm

Some great info!

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions. I like idea of the gamechanger Zeeb, though I have never felt that I'm useful as the leader kind. Always been a solo player. Food for thought!

Endless loop smobbing sounds useful. Are the loads better than ds? Frankly most of the ds smobs up north are totally useless to hit as they all load the same abs peices. Variety could be fun!

Are stats much of an issue on ls as on ds? Being that pracs are not as tight? Obviously physical stat inflation is a given, but what do people think are minimum mentals for ls hunters/warriors

I have a 19,13,14,18,18 would this suffice?

Theia

Post by Theia » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:07 am

That's a lovely character.

If you're a solo player, having a rogue for solo smobbing is pretty nice, and you can always keep yourself (and your alts) kitted no matter what setup you have.

Jana

Post by Jana » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:39 am

Pretty large variety with LS smobs, yes. I can always scrounge up whatever set i want, minus trinks, in a run or two.

I don't worry about mentals -too- much for non channies. If they are good its just an added bonus.

That character seems good. 19 con seems to be the goal these days though, but other than that, awesome.

Yeri

Post by Yeri » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:14 am

Sorry, let me try this again, only less snarky.

Honestly, if you're looking for goals - SS probably isn't a great place since you can already PK fine. The exotic mounts are honestly pretty cool, though they do cost qps and are probably going to be killed when you die with them. But the distance from Falme to EF is already 5-6 zones, and you're pretty unlikely to find people there. Which means trying Andor and all the trouble that goes with that - you're probably either fighting very outnumbered there with no significant mob support until you reach EF, or you're winning and LS has cities about 20 rooms away. And of course it's near TV so you get channies checking in constantly.

Smobbing isn't awful, vials are pretty doable on SS and there are a few soloable smobs, with the rest taking 3-4 people. But again, the low numbers means it's a lot riskier to go on say a GF smob run, and typically it's a lot easier and faster to just PK for gear. The average SS pker is better than the average SW LS pker, and that's usually how the side wins fights - regrouping quickly and killing solo chasers, since SS has less mob support and fewer people usually.

Compared to DS, the smobbing and exping are both going to be much worse - SS masters know this and are pretty good about issuing pines if there's a multiplier, but if you're not doing pines, it's not going to be fun.

It is, however, very good for seeing what you can do outnumbered - there's space to run around, lots of horses, and you'll naturally be outnumbered a fair amount anyway.