Twitter updates/changes

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Kilgore

Re: Twitter updates/changes

Post by Kilgore » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:14 pm

Thought something cool might happen when someone hit a list--but Davor hit a list, but perhaps the max tweet is occupied!

Livae

Post by Livae » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:11 am

After glancing at the Twitter birdy page. Color me impressed.

Thuvia

Post by Thuvia » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:05 pm

Happened to glance at a recent tweet, and a zone name popped up as "seafolk - Central Tremalking"

This a bug, or was the zone name changed from just "Central Tremalking" like it used to be?

On a related note, any chance yall might release a zone list like Sayuja did some years back? Was interesting to see all the zone names along with their creators.

Vivienne

Post by Vivienne » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:06 pm

Pretty much not going to post a current zone list. Spoilers, you know... 0:)

Vivienne

Post by Vivienne » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:10 pm

To get back to the topic at hand, we've throttled back the tweets really aggressively but it's somewhat negating the purpose of all the coding that went into it: To tease/give you hints that there's action that you may want to get in on.

What we do not want to do is "out" people with names because we don't want to get into policing OOC information turning into warrants, player grudges, etc. We also want a delay on it so we don't have someone logging in 30 seconds after a kill happens and going to avenge someone and knowing exactly where to find them, and so on.

We had it set for 1 tweet every 15 minutes, now it's 1 every hour. What level of efficiency would get your attention and interest so that if you check your twitter feed you go "Hey! I want in!" and result in a login?

Lykan

Post by Lykan » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:33 pm

Many of us commonly log on and see a big wholist on whatever side we're on, or certain other pk makers, and realize we logged on the wrong side if we wanted pk. Then we alt and usually either find that the pkers also had the same idea and alted, so the new side has too many, or everyone on the first side got bored and rented. Maybe numbers reflecting the pk somehow or just base numbers on current sides would be good - so if it tweets that some lser killed a myrddraal combined with then saying "There are currently 30 on Lightside and 2 on Darkside", it lets people know that 1) there is pk going on and 2) darkside is likely very much so outnumbered. So if they want pk, they need to log DS. Or maybe he could code it to report the numbers in the zone of the kill when it happened, but I imagine that'd be more complicated.

I'm not sure what all goes out on the tweets, but I assume it isn't just pkills or that likely wouldn't really get spammy? Assuming it tweets for smob kills, I don't think that will really generate people logging on except maybe to try and kill the smobbers, which doesn't really seem too fair. That's just me though; I generally only smob with friends, usually to help people out, so maybe people who focus on smobbing more can weigh in on how useful they find that.

Davor

Post by Davor » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:41 pm

I agree with Lykan. We need a list of at least numbers on the game. The other day it was like Melayna, Kilgore, Lykan, Razhak, me, and Baal on DS. Lykan diied 1 hour later after I alted. We could have killed him 1 hour earlier if I had known DS was already full!

15 minutes is too much time delay making it essentially useless. This is a fluid game and in 2 minutes you can cross the map. I would say a 30 second-1 minute delay is too late but probably what you should shoot for.

I was seeing some trees being killed. If this is true it should only be Smob kills and PKills. Nothing else. Once an hour is too infrequent and useless again. Once every 2-5 minutes would be ideal, how often do we even get Pkills/smob kills? Also, I don't use Twitter so there is that.

Lykan

Post by Lykan » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:51 pm

Yeah, I also don't use twitter and don't plan to, just lending another P.O.V. as to what I think most pkers would find "useful" or would entice them to log on.

Elyse

Post by Elyse » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:29 pm

Or split the difference and have a shorter delay for PK kills than smob kills?

Most people engaged in PK are probably happy for there to be more reports of when pk is happening, even on a very short delay. PK is fast and fluid, and narrates mean everyone in game (or at least on the two sides of the killer and killed) knows what's going on already, so the tweets really just help to get people to log on, or at least that is the hope.

But when I'm smobbing, the last thing I want is an instant report popping up on twitter letting folk already logged in and playing know to hurry to point x to try to trap me. If you do everything right to hit something quietly, it would be maddening to get outed by a tweet, at least without some decent delay. Why should people get substantially more info from following twitter than they can get in game directly? Hence, if we really want to autotweet mob/smob kills, the long delay should stay.

EDIT: So, I went and actually took a look at the twitter page, and it does seem pretty spammy. Looking at things now, I'd suggest removing mob/smob kills altogether, as those aren't going to encourage anyone to log on, and contribute to general twitter spammyness, and play around with various delay/frequency options on the player kills until some sort of general consensus emerges.

And yes, I would support some form of better information as to numbers on each side to help people wanting pk know which side it might be best to log onto.
Last edited by Elyse on Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lyren

Post by Lyren » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:37 pm

Its not so much the number and frequency of the tweets as it is the content of the tweets. I'm reiterating this but nobody cares about people killing trees and snakes.

For people that actively use twitter, seeing these kinds of tweets becomes irritating, because it clogs up the feed and hides other interesting articles that may be coming in.

Things like pkills (every single one is fine I think), numbers (maybe there could be a kill counter that tweets every 15 mins or so and if DS kills > LS kills it could say something like: Log on LS, they need your help!), multipliers, the addition of chits, mob raids and quests. If the kill counter comes up with a null response twice in a row, then fill it with some random mob dying.