Aspiring to better ABS?

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Pulverwise

Aspiring to better ABS?

Post by Pulverwise » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:21 pm

I've been active again on-and-off in 2020 after years of very limited play. There have been loads of excellent changes which are great to see. One thing that seems to be a little underwhelming still however is the state of 'aspirational' abs equipment.

There seem to be two problems here. One is player based. So few people actively play rare ABS weapons that I can see. I think this is partly a function of there being fewer of these than rare defensive weapons, but also players seem to just stock them up to then trade for rare items for combo or dodge chars.

The second is that frankly, most ABS rares/hard to acquire items seem fairly sub-par compared to a)regular items and b)the comparable benefits of a rare defensive items upgrade vs. standard items. Murgoz ABS was something people went out hunting to start, but looking at the stats now, particularly taking into account PB, it's often overlooked despite being more rare than standard ebony/shining kits.

The craftable ABS weapons seem like a great idea for something 'different', but I'm not actually sure they're noticeably better than regular weapons based off the stats? Unless I'm missing something? Heron Greatsword has similar issues, great OB but weight a little low for consistent bash on the many, many uber-kit dodgers running around these days, and don't really see them played in game? Tainted maul seems about the best of the rare ABS weapons, but I don't think I've actually seen one in play this year.

Any thoughts on how we can change this? Does making some abs weapons a tiny bit better mean people might actually play them? Should Murgoz be more rare but better than regular abs? Does Itesh really have a third nipple? So many questions.

Lyam

Re: Aspiring to better ABS?

Post by Lyam » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:42 pm

Pair of war axes, pair of hooked gold swords, war mauls, and tainted maul are all a cut above the regular abs weapons, with gold swords possibly being the best overall abs weapons in the game. Mallets, t-axes, and c-swords are all pretty good overall and pretty available. Then there's the WSL/e-axe tier of damage dishers that don't bash well at all, but will ruin your day with OB/damage. I'd actually almost throw war mauls into this category, except they have not great ob. Heron greatswords are great for damage and ob, but like you said, I don't consider it super viable for abs. I think the problem with having abs rares too far above the available is that the available abs weapons are already pretty strong and have to be in order to off-set how much damage abs takes in at all times. You go too far above that and it can be a little bit silly, especially in numbers and factoring in zerk attack.

I'd recommend the following:

1) Make Malfeasor bonus hit ALL Tower (read: include Gaidin/Warders)
2) Lower the token cost for the ABS craftables back to 4 tokens.

I don't think making the weapons better will make people play them any more than they do right now. There have always been hoarders vs. users and making something better will just make them hoard harder.

isabel

Post by isabel » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:55 pm

I've been using the rare abs axe these days and I really like it. I don't really agree that abs weapons need anything and I strongly dislike malf damage - I have been in pk where it was me and zizek vs a malf user and even zizek had to leave that pk. When a weapon is such high damage that even the best player of the game can't even take on two rounds of it, it's pretty ridiculous imo.

The thing that abs needs I feel is the Armor..or rare Armor to aspire to.

Pulv I don't know if you play LS but from this end the amount of damage that the zerk masters and fades dish out is really really high honestly.

Mhaliah

Post by Mhaliah » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:14 pm

My issue with abs is that the armor wear is actually a malus for PK. This is compounded by the condition flags leading to faster wear. I have been in PK where my abs dropped 5% over the course of 20 minutes because the shiner I had was not excellent or better condition. Make it like a shield. If you don't repair it over time it will break and be gone, but the abs% does not decrease as the wear increases. Or make condition repairable at master blacksmith? Right now Abs is like buying a house, if the listing says "good condition" walk away. (lol at my own dad joke)

Lyam

Post by Lyam » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:27 pm

Yeah, that's the other thing. ABS decays way too quick.

Pulverwise

Post by Pulverwise » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:33 pm

isabel wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:55 pm
Pulv I don't know if you play LS but from this end the amount of damage that the zerk masters and fades dish out is really really high honestly.
You forgetting my alts is becoming emotionally painful and you're off my Christmas list. And my Diwali list.

Eol

Post by Eol » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:39 pm

Loved playing gold sword on darkside, but the weakness of the build is that you have to wear armor. I think Itesh/Elysia recently tried to shine some light on these builds - namely why decay is the way it is.

I'm not saying this would be appropriate, but some people may recall that back in the day there was a loophole mechanism that kept armor fresh - namely turning abs into clan gear and reverting it back to normal armor. Perhaps there could be a pay to play version of this (I doubt this will occur). I do agree that you HAVE to constantly repair armor to keep it functional.

I always assume if I lose a abs-rare the human who gets it probably turns it into gold or questpoints. Tridents and razor swords may stay in the loop - other weapons really don't.

iria

Post by iria » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:45 pm

Agree with most of what Lyam said, I think ABS weapons are in a really good spot these days, theres a nice variety depending on what you want and the craftables are pretty damn good. Think the biggest issue is the decay rate on the actual armor, but I want to say the immortals have said on multiple occasions that the decay rate is coding that they don't have access to? Could be neat if abs could have the same turn in 2 items and get a pristine one, but maybe it is easier to just smob up a fresh shiner than it is to get two in shabby condition.

Also the real change to Malf should be changing it back to a chain(flail) for maximum power.

Pulverwise

Post by Pulverwise » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:57 pm

Just to be clear I think regular abs weapons are fine and fairly balanced. My issue is compared to say a top normal medium blade to a heron med, or steel sai to dirks, rare abs weapons seem a little underwhelming based on the stats? Even aside from the lack of numbers in circulation they seem more of an alternative than an upgrade?

Fermin

Post by Fermin » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:57 pm

just based on the trades I've been a part of - yes ABS weapons seem to be valued below combo or dodge rares. the difference isn't enough that I really notice it on my ABSer personally - but still play them...

I think a really rare class of abs EQ would simple not require mending and retain its pristine condition and 85% abs or whatever...

This would be very coveted and very good I would think. similar to in the books how heron blades (power wrought) didn't scratch.