Unsolicited amazing ideas thread

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Thore

Re: Unsolicited amazing ideas thread

Post by Thore » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:13 am

koryak wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:06 pm
How about just let players redesign some of the city heads with the goal to be zones that can transition from smob to pk - right now the doors mean there is almost no counterplay to these zones (especially the DS ones where the doors aren't even at the smob)
Yes! And every smob should have at least two rooms behind its door. Prevent Player Smobbing.

Eol

Post by Eol » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:56 pm

Random idea - not earthshaking, but perhaps something of value. And unfortunately - CODING

Status weaves. Essentially - they are all or nothing. If you get the weave off - no matter the target, no matter their level etc - the weave is there to stay (unless a potion exists). In a more complicated world they would in some way have tiers or levels and while perhaps a low level person could cast a status weave on a higher level character the character would have some intrinsic resistance both to being targeted but also the effect.

For PK purposes - the simple truth is almost all FCs are fully levelled. Wasn't always the case but I believe is now. FCs are heavily practice dependent requiring all of the practices, levels, weaves, etc that they can get. With the exp multiplier it is substantially easier to level a female channeler than it was back in the day. Last of all, FCs know that having a level advantage means better odds of landing status weaves - especially against unleveled opponents.

My proposal simply is the following - reduce the negative affect that status weaves provide. The current numbers are arbitrary and haven't been changed in probably the history of the game.

What will this accomplish? I guess we'll see depending on the values that are chosen.

-Will this down channelers? In some cases very much definitely, but in other cases a grab bag effect of yes and no depending on perspective ie. if you could never use something but now you can but its less potent etc.

Yes, if you are the kind of person who ports into a door fights and contagions everyone in the door (if contagion is downed enough such that the people in the door still have the ability to fight back) thereby instantly slaughtering the opposition.

No, somewhat in the sense that previously status weaves are somewhat unuseable if you want the fight to continue. To contagion someone is to end the fight unless there's a door. Perhaps if status weaves were less devastating they might be more tolerated in PK as opposed to your opponent telling you to get firetrucked and leaving.

Yes, if for example blind is downed in such a way to make solo channelers be unable to solo smobs that are level 50-55.

Will this expose people to more status weave use? Possibly if it somehow "legitimizes" or "balances" status weaves. Consider - in every PK an opponent potentially can consider/balance choose from potential strategies that the other side may not tolerate. Trolls could in every single PK kill the humans horse. An FC right now can if they choose to - contagion every single troll in every single fight they are in. Why don't they? A mix of weighing the ups and downs, player respect, feedback from friends and enemies etc.

What am I really after here - reducing the "cheese". This game has been slow through time to target players worst behaviors. More powerful than self regulation of player behavior is just making things the appropriate level of reward. If status weaves or poor behaviors or whatever are less rewarding then when players engage in them they won't get the level of reward and satisfaction they previously did. Balance and change solves silliness. Why do some FCs contagion every door fight, why do some trolls stab every single horse they see - because its massively rewarding. Take away the reward.

Currently:
Blind: "Blinding effect" + -50% OB, -20% dodge, -50% parry
Chill: "Missed rounds effect" + -10% OB, dodge, PB
Contagion: -50% OB, -50% PB, -20% DB

I propose the following:
Blind: Blinding effect, -10% OB, Dodge, and PB
Chill: Chill effect + -5% OB, Dodge, PB and reduce length from 5 to 3 ticks.
Contagion: -10% OB, (-)10-15% Dodge and PB

My numbers are arbitrary too, but here is my rationale:

-The first thing is - chill is too dang good for how easily it is cast, how fast it is, and how long it lasts. The missed round effect is incredibly potent. I personally used the hell out of this spell and I've been in fights where I chilled every single person on the other team because I didn't have a damage spell. Back in the day - people would tolerate being chilled if they had enough of an advantage. Now that people know how bashing and DB and what not interact this spell needs to be downed so that other spells can move to its level. Taking 5% of an opponents potency away will still be an incredible spell with the missed rounds.

-OB reduction. I've proposed that OB not ever be reduced by more than 10% by a status weave. The heart of why contagion users and such always win door fights when they mass contagion is - no one can bash anymore and the user is almost always in dodge. Essentially - this downing takes away the "contagion always wins" effect. You can stay in a fight perhaps with a 10% reduction. You can't stay in a fight as a basher with a 50% reduction except as a meat shield. I've essentially reduced contagion to the current level of chill. Currently, a basher can still win a fight against a chiller albeit with more difficulty.

-Blind is much more now about the vision loss than the defense reduction. Blind is already dang cheesy. The most hot button weave of 20 years ago it can still be used against the last person to leave a fight for sick effect even with draughts in the game. I do not propose downing the availability of draughts.

-FCs using blind to totally disable solo smobs will be much more difficult since the mob will now still hit back.

-Being contagioned by an inky is now slightly less of a big deal assuming you didn't die from the looting.

-The main spells being affected here are essentially spells without potions to counter them. This helps address some of the lack of availability of the potion.

-Perhaps this will help increase the diversity of spells FCs use albeit reducing the potency.

Thank god I copied and saved this post before hitting submit. I'd already logged out.

Callesa

Post by Callesa » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:27 am

I totally agree with the more ter'angreal and well ter'angreal ideas. Ter'angreal making you sense the other gender's channeling, or a ter'angreal protecting against a specific status weave, or the opposite: a ter'angreal with limited charges of a status weave and not just blind.

Postmaster quests. Ask postmaster for a job and they give you a letter or a parcel for one of many various mobs in towns or villages.

A way to get rid of warrants by less active clans or those, that wouldn't forgive you. Such as a corrupted bureaucrat mob, that you could pay a lot to and he would conveniently lose any documentation to an Aes Sedai's Amador warrant, but only if the warrant would be old enough (for example a rl year). The goal: not to bypass active clans or go directly against rp, but to not have life long warrants.

Many more pickable doors! Make very high levels of pick useful and let the smobbers bypass key hunting in some cases. Right now, pick is a mostly useless skill.

A way to find easier the travelling mobs. Such as Taim, or Sarita. A tiny quest (hand in a mob scalp or something) that would make a mob (for example a bartender, those should hear a lot of gossip!) tell you "Oh, I've heard the merchant wagon has recently been seen in Cairhien".

A new "ward room" weave, that would make a room no loc for a few tics, or perhaps even out of the "where".
Eol wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:56 pm
My proposal simply is the following - reduce the negative affect that status weaves provide. The current numbers are arbitrary and haven't been changed in probably the history of the game.

What will this accomplish? I guess we'll see depending on the values that are chosen.

-Will this down channelers? In some cases very much definitely, but in other cases a grab bag effect of yes and no depending on perspective ie. if you could never use something but now you can but its less potent etc.

-FCs using blind to totally disable solo smobs will be much more difficult since the mob will now still hit back.

-Being contagioned by an inky is now slightly less of a big deal assuming you didn't die from the looting.

-The main spells being affected here are essentially spells without potions to counter them. This helps address some of the lack of availability of the potion.

-Perhaps this will help increase the diversity of spells FCs use albeit reducing the potency.

Thank god I copied and saved this post before hitting submit. I'd already logged out.
NOOO! This would decrease the diversity, as the weaves would be mostly useless. And no, I don't blind to solo smobs, I blind to at least get some normal mobs solo. After the various changes, such as lower hps, I cannot kill many mobs I used to kill anymore, at least not without status weaves. :-(

People are not even using the status weave that much, as the hate you get for using them in pk is pretty annoying. Or do you really know FCs that contagion a whole group of people that often?

Instead, I propose ter'angreal protecting against some status weaves. They should be a of course harder to get, rather rare, but they could be a cute surprise during the pk. A trolloc suddenly resistant to contation, an Aes Sedai resistant to MC's sleep weave, and so on.

livendros

Post by livendros » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:51 pm

Different flavors of Master mobs maybe with agreements with Clans to offer them in their barracks. Like one could be more for assisting in PvP one could be more for smob excetera excetera. Which could be as simple as some of them loading with better equipment.

Definitely more ter angreal.

The magistrate actually working again.

5 minute no quit all around.

Sword of flame an elemental staff to be tied.

More flavors of craftable rares in categories that aren't represented.

A two-handed defensive weapon option that is not super easy to get but not quite rare in every category that makes sense. Obviously not over-the-top.

An in-game way to check the charges left on angreal.

myzec

Post by myzec » Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:03 am

Give Rank 8 trolls and Remorts sense so they can smells dismounted humans and seanchan to ensure the coding is consistent.

fiddler

Post by fiddler » Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:57 am

I see there is a new Mouth of Sauron

Stomp

Post by Stomp » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:05 pm

ICBMs

Draz

Post by Draz » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:51 am

Bring back the torturers mask! but make turning it in worth 1 tp to trollocs.

So DFs will go nuts wanting this thing, and never get it because they can't solo and trollocs will turn in for the tp :)

zankou

Post by zankou » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:26 am

I 100% agree with sword of flame/staff being tied, and maybe lasting a bit longer. 5-10 minutes perhaps. the few times ive tried those weapons they werent OP, so shouldnt be game breaking.

arston

Post by arston » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:21 pm

What about crafting that involved stuff other than just gathering materials from everywhere and watching a mob emote. Example for cloth making:

10 sheep in a 6 room fenced off area. sheep wander every pulse. each sheep can be sheared once per zone pop with a 6 second mobol (so you gotta be fast or they walk off) to get a ball of raw wool.

balls of raw wool can be untangled/spun in the farmhouse right next to it, through a puzzle. it could be this one could be something else entirely: each wool has a combination of 10 or so conditions from a list such as wool knotted, tangled on the left/right/top/bottom, looped left/right/top/bottom where you have to do the right correction (loosen knot, untangle left/right/top bottom, unloop left/right/top/bottom) in the right order or it tangles it and adds a step, (if it gets to 15 then it destroys it).

Then you have to weave the yarn, using 5 or so pieces of spun yarn using a different recipe of mobol depending on whether you want to weave a tunic or gloves or whichever else (because it doesnt make any IC sense for people that are specifically trying to make a certain piece to just start making something and have no idea what its gonna be till its done).

Whole process taking about 10 minutes a piece for basic gear without costing newbies anything to learn to craft or to make the pieces (assuming they are helping the farmwife make more wool than is needed and as payment can use her stuff), so if they came back 3 different zone pops and spent an hour total crafting (assuming they had it down well) then they could have a basic set. Still waaaaay more efficient to smob for gear, but since the only people that I have ever seen crafting are new players who are trying to learn the game and get decent equipment to level with then I think basic equipment crafting should be time intensive (but not debilitatingly time intensive) and rare item crafting should be more cost intensive (really like how the tokens/materials generally are worth more than the rare so that only items that are being crafted are those that people want to use bad enough to pay the premium and hunt down the couple of extra items).

(willing to put the time and effort into helping make something like this if desired)