LS War shortening idea.

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Adael

Re: LS War shortening idea.

Post by Adael » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:32 pm

Paigey wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:05 pm
These patrols are pretty buff. Not to rag on them, but somehow the QGs were losing people to General hits with no opposing players at them.
FWIW I don't actually think that was ever the case with the war with BT (losing people at general with no enemy PCs there). We did make the mistake a few times of not killing the barracks keeper, which meant BT masters would just flee and reissue master mobs once one died, to bring in and rescue the patrol soldiers.

I think the idea of an ultimatum week for RP is good, followed by a week of the chance to fight if things don't work out.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:38 pm

Paigey wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:05 pm
(5) If I'm being unkind - the war system isn't about PK. It was invented for retribution and punishing other clans to get what you want. Lancers somewhat refused to fight/pardon/etc Civil Watch and the Imms invented a system to allow a clan to go after a clan that wouldn't fight it.
You are so amazingly far off, just wow. I had a trial of a war system going on under the guise of wargames between Civil Watch and *oL around 2008.
The idea fell flat because there was no way I could wrestle a room from each city to make it work and the current setup of having a seperate zone didn't fly. The general patrols were too weak, Ryalth was able to buff the lot of them.

That's also the problem with making the general patrols weaker: uber dodgers end up soloing them, otherwise I'd make them weaker. :(

Paigey

Post by Paigey » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:53 pm

This is how I learn things. :oops:

But that's like pre-forum-poof isn't it. Who can say it happened. I barely remember 2008.

My timeline is much clearer. 2017 - CW vs Lancers, no resolution. Eternity of warrants.
2018 - The War System is here and literally like the first paragraph states:

"For too long, wars have meant nothing in the game. They would drag on forever and there was never a clear winner. Because of this, they became tedious and frequently caused people to play other characters."

It literally looked like it was written based on recent events ;)

Adael - you'd know better than me. I read Kaan's eternally long post and must have recalled it the wrong way. Seemed like way too many disasters in there.

Sarryn

Post by Sarryn » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:24 pm

One week notice would be cool. I personally really like the pk idea in the first week. Hitting a general doesn’t take much. Just a little time and coordination.

So my vote is same system, slightly altered. You declare and and kills in the first week count. Start of the second week you are allowed general hits. This will throw a bone to the less active clans. While also allowing for some fun in between..

No body gives 2 shits if a scrub clan wins by general hits. It’s meaningless, unless you think hitting smobs is the bees knees.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:50 pm

"For too long" was referring to about 15 years of on and off wars between Andor, *oL, Eagles, Illian, Tear, Mayene, where people could just deny having lost, fighting stopped and it was just mob enforced banishments with nothing happening if banishments were broken, all dragging on for years. I think the Red Eagle secession war in... 2002? was the only war to have a victor, until the war system. What we have now may not be perfect, but it beats what there was before.

Vampa coming in was a game changer, in so many ways. Old mobol snippets stored for years were dusted off and things that had been stuck on wishlists came through.

Detritus

Post by Detritus » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:17 pm

Just an idea,(not sure how able to apply it would be) since it seems you can change and enhance mobs now would be to make ways for clans to strengthen their presence in enemy territory, making mobs stronger, or more of them, or equiping them, making them no-hide, things that could still get wiped out by a strong enough enemy presence(or enemy recruiting unclanned/applicants to help them).

Unfortunately always have to balance against stabbers/chargers. A solo person undoing a sustained effort makes the effort worthless.

I can quite imagine not wanting to log on against a clan with a lot of stabbers present. I havent been back long but i often just log off or change characters just because boboliosie is on and same side stabbing is so rediculously in favor of the stabber in all ways.
All the no-hide rooms have basically no mob presence so there's no relaxation possible, can't proactively hunt them and win when they can just go in a no ride room then ride your horse off into the sunset whenever they please or start to lose.

zeek

Post by zeek » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:53 pm

Elysia wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:58 pm
We can't fix people doing things in off hours, that's a mud wide thing. Just like we can't make it so people in off hours can do everything at the same speed/amount people in peak hours can. E.g. pk.

@Granit: I was thinking more ULTIMATUM "Do this or else!" > declaration > war of 1 week.
What if we only count pk scalps as points UNLESS you hit the enemie's general and you can timestamp the who list showing 3+ members of the opposing side online while you hit. That means they were around to actually defend it and nullifies people getting "Free points" towards the war tally because nobody is online.

No risk no reward.

spoiler alert: you'll see more pk, and way less general hits. It'll force people to engage and do something one way or another, and that's something I can get behind! :D

isabel

Post by isabel » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:06 am

Why do we even have barracks..there are already cityheads for good backup idk

Side to post most voted best art of war logs wins..then we would have great pk :p

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:09 am

isabel wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:06 am
Why do we even have barracks..there are already cityheads for good backup idk
You mean you feel you can compare strongest mobs like Roawhin in EF vs Morgase vs Amathera vs Pedron (completely inaccessible)? :P Because obviously you can't.

isabel

Post by isabel » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:27 am

Well true. But basically why link smobbing city heads with pk which is best when people can move around regroup etc. Barracks pk is comparable to (but worse than) a door fight more or less with people being forced to live or die there.

Just have like tournament or war rules of engagement. It's not crossrace fighting - it's nations engaging so they can always say there is no honour in 5v1 etc etc