Dynamic Smobs Feedback

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Riurk

Dynamic Smobs Feedback

Post by Riurk » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:53 pm

Starting a thread to gather some feedback here, since Ely mentioned there had not been any.

My thoughts are limited to anti-bash and anti-channel -- I have not seen the anti-stab and I have not been able to tell when pro-bash is active.

My thoughts are:
  • Nice system overall: given the smaller numbers I find that I'm usually hitting smobs in small groups (especially on DS) most times. For non-rare smobs, that's nice to be able to do and this system seems to open up a wider range of play styles for each mob (vs permanently locking certain players/styles out of specific smobs).
  • Anti-bash: seems to work well, but it is very hard to tell when it is active. I'd suggest adding room messages when the mobs heal themselves based on a bash. The silent healing is very unintuitive/non-discoverable as a mechanic.
  • Pro-bash: I suspect that the silent nature of this works against it. I wasn't even aware it was a thing until Ely pointed it out to me! I'd suggest adding in room messages when it triggers so people know it's there.
  • Anti-channel: Mixed feelings on this one! Channies don't have much of a fallback and have generally weak weapons, so I'd suggest perhaps limiting it to anti-status-weaves: blind, sleep, chill. This would let channelers still do damage. Or, perhaps block the "big" damage weaves (fireball, spikes) but let the weaker ones still work (FS, HoA, Hailstorm).
  • Anti-stab: no feedback! I have not played around with this.
Would love to hear others' thoughts, too.

Kellam

Re: Dynamic Smobs Feedback

Post by Kellam » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:26 pm

Anti-stab just means the smob doesn't really get hit that day by the set of people who go around solo-stabbing things.

Viva

Post by Viva » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:55 pm

I have attempted to stab 3/4 of the Dynamic Smobs since they have been implemented, both on my non-master rogue and non-master stabby FC.

DWC: I have tried maybe 5 times and each time left without a kill. Either the anti-stab heal was in affect or the smob damage was just too great to keep trying.

Kingpin: I have finished once in about 5 tries with stab, but the load is poor so I have not gone back to try more.

Celia: is a challenge but I have solo'd her 6-7 times now. She loaded a gold ring one of those times so I go through the effort to check.

Kiraf: he wasn't worth stabbing before as a stabby smob already so have not been out to try since the change.

I like the idea of messages or some form of figuring out the current configuration of anti-abilities. Could go scout a smob to get the info, and plan accordingly.

granit

Post by granit » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:19 am

I guess the question is what's wrong with solo stabbing things on a mud with not a lot of people left in it and a majority don't/can't find time to smob. It's a lot of fun to solo stab everything!

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:00 am

The idea is that more than just stabbers can solo things.

E.g. Kingpin was not previously stabbable and now is, but it's also chargeable.

However, Kiraf was previously just stabbable and weavable, but now also chargeable.

One some repops, neither may be stabbable, or chargeable, so it is... dynamic. :P

Which is why there is a pro-bash variety, that does damage to things when bashed, but still lack of feedback.

Rentris

Post by Rentris » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:24 am

Primarily playing stab these days, it would be awesome to have some external warning of the smob quirks.
Going through 3/4 of my health before seeing the anti-stab insta-heal is off-putting to the point that I don't even target those smobs anymore.
Having a "carving" or something on the door to the smobs that shows their dynamic quirks would definitely draw my interest again.

Kordin

Post by Kordin » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:31 pm

I thought the idea was to make people group for smobs, not the other way around....

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:29 am

https://wotmod.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t= ... mic#p98138

Yes, having some way to see what variety it is would be nice. Am I going to spend more energy on this until I've had feedback, no. I've been waiting for pro-bash feedback since Nov 2019 and frankly, I was about to write this off as a failure because of zero feedback in 9 months time.

Meren

Post by Meren » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:25 am

Elysia wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:29 am
Yes, having some way to see what variety it is would be nice. Am I going to spend more energy on this until I've had feedback, no. I've been waiting for pro-bash feedback since Nov 2019 and frankly, I was about to write this off as a failure because of zero feedback in 9 months time.
How are you supposed to know it's pro-bash? Not sure I've ever noticed a pro-bash smob.

Lyam

Post by Lyam » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:36 am

When it doesn't regen to healthy when you bash it, I guess.