Dynamic Smobs Feedback

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Ominas

Re: Dynamic Smobs Feedback

Post by Ominas » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:37 pm

Shop west of Tar Valon also sells harnesses I believe

Morella

Post by Morella » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:03 am

and Cyril's in TV too.

Detritus

Post by Detritus » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:55 am

Alison wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:46 am
What i did like was when a rare spear suddenly wanted to be found inside a chest. That got my brain racking and took us a few hours to find it. That is the kind of incentive that is great. So instead of having an imm keep saying so over chats/narrs something loaded there. Why not make it a message that pops up when we log into the game.
And by this she means hours upon hours scouring the mud and every rare/uncommon place possible and then finding it somewhere fairly common!

It was a very great lot of fun, thanks to elysia and ranam for reloading it after reboot, even if i was too honest!

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:17 pm

I added some room messages to DWC, Celia, Kiraf, Kingpin, Renegade Commander, which you can trigger if you CON SMOB.

Messages aren't the best. How does one distinguish between being able to use fire and blind, while making it obvious, right? Right.

kai

Post by kai » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:54 am

Hey all

Just posting in here as dynamic smobs were removed;

Ely - the stated reason for the removal was that there wasn't much feedback on them.

To the best of my knowledge people were hitting most of these, regularly, and FAR more then over the past few years.

The messages were extremely buggy - and a couple of people got in trouble (I think for using sleepstab?) and there were issues like it seemed different bonuss would stack - so you would end up with an smob that healed on bash, or channeling, and then took now damage for several rounds so people would think it healed on melee also.. despite that.. it gave people something to do in small groups.

Two of us could charge these, one person could stab, fcs could be useful

I'd really like to say that while they had issues and were buggy as hell - the main reason there wasn't constant feedback on these was the feedback had already been given..and they worked.

Are you open to a conversation about reopening, and expanding this over say 4 more smobs, the dynamic smobs?

... and preferably hopefully somehow working out why the con smob message has never once referred to their actual strength/weakness as far as I can tell!!

Atienne

Post by Atienne » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:39 am

Rentris wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:24 am
Primarily playing stab these days, it would be awesome to have some external warning of the smob quirks.
Going through 3/4 of my health before seeing the anti-stab insta-heal is off-putting to the point that I don't even target those smobs anymore.
Having a "carving" or something on the door to the smobs that shows their dynamic quirks would definitely draw my interest again.
Hobo codes for smobs! I like it!

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:55 pm

kai wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:54 am
Are you open to a conversation about reopening, and expanding this over say 4 more smobs, the dynamic smobs?

... and preferably hopefully somehow working out why the con smob message has never once referred to their actual strength/weakness as far as I can tell!!
No, sorry. The idea was to have a trial run and then roll this out over most smobs. The bash bonus never got feedback, despite me installing the "con smob" so people could know it's a thing. I'm not going to roll something out to dozens of rooms unless it works. No one said yay, nay, or even meh.

Combined with the side effect of some things getting hit less, it's just not worth the time and energy.

kai

Post by kai » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:30 am

Ah - I honestly never noticed even a single one of the 'bonuses' on killing the smobs.
I bash, I bash a lot. These smobs when I've killed them has been primarily with bash.
I've never once noticed anything out of the ordinary with respect to them taking damage - other than them healing to full in ridiculous combinations (we hit and bash and fcs weave it heals full, stop bashing incase is causing the heal..fcs weave it heals full, tell fcs not to weave...and bash..and it heals full for example.)
If we can't notice what you add to them then how are we going to comment on it?

My main concern here is that Celia and Maegor and even Kingpin for most of the time I've played the mud really just didn't get hit (not since they were upped and made almost impossible to channel at for the SW ones anyway),.. now we have people hitting them, in small groups and solo.. and suddenly it all goes back to almost all the good smobs are nohide, and many have such antichannel mobol that they may as well be nochannel.

If you asked, hey there hasn't been feedback on the bash bonus damage, you would have had responses from me at least saying I've never actually seen it happen.

I'm not the one (for these smobs) this will affect, but I am aware that lots of people have been hitting them and I can't see that continuing.

Drybones

Post by Drybones » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:06 pm

I personally wasn't a fan of the dynamic penalties. Two reasons:

1. It seemed buggy or the messages were confusing. e.g., sluggish celia in a warm room I thought would be stabbable, but she would heal to full.

2. If I was going to log in TV and head down to celia to stab / charge her, and I picked the wrong setup, then I wasted 10-15 minutes of my playtime. I wasn't going to head to BE to rent, wait 5, alt, walk down and try a different setup.

But, I was a fan of making solo smobbing accessible to more setups. If a fc can solo a smob, a stabber can solo a smob, I'm not sure why a charger shouldn't have a shot. Dunno how you would do it with bash setups.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:27 pm

kai wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:30 am
If we can't notice what you add to them then how are we going to comment on it?
It was there, taking like 150 hps off the minions on a landed bash. I saw the damage on the syslog, so it happened. It may not have been enough for solo/duoing, which was the big question that remained unanswered for like a year, despite the messages.

Also, what Drybones said about going out to a smob and it being the wrong setup was a thing, too.

Either way, it's a failed experiment. If one of the things it was aimed to help with, namely making low number bash smobbing easier, and that failed, it doesn't work well enough to merit a roll out to more places.