Suggestion - temporary solution for the rerolls situation

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Skurk

Re: Suggestion - temporary solution for the rerolls situation

Post by Skurk » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:02 pm

I realise it takes 5 years. New players will likely have a master in that time if they keep playing. There's "newer" players comparatively that have been playing 1-5 years. I remember Hasp for example was looking forward to one-day getting rerolls on his master.

Taziar

Post by Taziar » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:10 pm

I think the best anyone could do for a temporary solution is talk to Vampa. Like I said he has been very reasonable since becoming game admin. The reroll thing just happened, I expect it to get fixed eventually from what I have seen and heard.

Yeri

Post by Yeri » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:50 pm

I haven't yet seen a post from a 104 or Staff saying explicitly that this is unintended and will be fixed in the future. Best I can find is this:
We all knew rerolls from people with a high statsum crashed the game. Flash looked into that. This is the result.

We have not looked into any changes to stats, statting, rerolls or homelands, as we feel there are other priorities. It's one of those things we may eventually get to, but at a later stage.
Also, while time passes differently in Wotmud, this is now a 4 month-old problem. 'Just happened' is being a little generous.

halfhand

Post by halfhand » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:09 pm

Here are my thoughts on a better system.

Instead of 20 lines of Monte Carlo -esque randomized roll and comparing it against the stat filter, just do

5 lines of restat
1. Str +1 (null this out if it breaks a stat rule "not good enough")
2. Int +1 (null this out if it breaks a stat rule)
3. Will +1 (null this out if it breaks a stat rule)
4. Dex +1 (null this out if it breaks a stat rule)
5. Con +1 (null this out if it breaks a stat rule)

Code efficiency wide, much more efficient Big O than the old version with theoritically no upper limit of processing. Unlike current bandaid, actually has better results for the character.

and take out the homeland limitations.

if stat creep is too fast, just make it every 200 years.

if you want to make it fancier you can add a Dex +2 Con -1 or Dex -1 Con + 2 option

Ominas

Post by Ominas » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:18 pm

I’m not as clever as most of you and don’t really have a smart fix. But I do hope this is prioritized.

Besides Ominas, even though most of my characters are on their 4th and 5th rerolls I don’t have any that would qualify as superstatted

Players are too picky and believe stats make the character/experience. That’s not the case in my opinion.

Honestly I would be totally fine with completing ignoring this fix if imms instead were able to rework statting in general. Lowering the level and also introducing the prerolled is awesome, but I would like to see the actual rolls adjusted more heavily. Making it easier to get better stats for players that like to do that and new incoming players.

At this point we need the process simplified. If we want to attract and retain incoming players. Most of us that have been around this long don’t really care. But those incoming will.

Yeri

Post by Yeri » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:54 pm

halfhand wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:09 pm
Here are my thoughts on a better system.

Instead of 20 lines of Monte Carlo -esque randomized roll and comparing it against the stat filter, just do

5 lines of restat
1. Str +1 (null this out if it breaks a stat rule "not good enough")
2. Int +1 (null this out if it breaks a stat rule)
3. Will +1 (null this out if it breaks a stat rule)
4. Dex +1 (null this out if it breaks a stat rule)
5. Con +1 (null this out if it breaks a stat rule)

Code efficiency wide, much more efficient Big O than the old version with theoritically no upper limit of processing. Unlike current bandaid, actually has better results for the character.

and take out the homeland limitations.

if stat creep is too fast, just make it every 200 years.

if you want to make it fancier you can add a Dex +2 Con -1 or Dex -1 Con + 2 option
Or heck, why not a combination? The old rerolls were only a problem at the extreme upper end, where you stood a good chance of rolling max rolls. At that point, why not try the following:

For each of your 20 rolls:
1) Try N rolls, using your current statsum as a base, just like old rerolls.
2) If you haven't gotten stats after N rolls that obey class/homeland maxes, give up and just add +1 to a random stat, again obeying class/homeland maxes
3) If you can't even do that, return current stats, rerolling hp

For most characters you get the same result as before, and for the extreme upper end you're guaranteed either +1 to a stat or a hp reroll. Almost everyone should be happy, and you've placed an upper bound on the number of stats you have to roll for each character.

Skurk

Post by Skurk » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:12 am

thats a way better idea than mine

Davor

Post by Davor » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:01 pm

It really is funny how we have come full circle in regards to stats on this game and still learn nothing. At one point it was near impossible to get good stats and a handful of players were 19 17 19 etc. Now we have mostly excellent stats and yet are still yearning for some improvement and are upset with the current method. The majority of players/characters likely abused the reroll bug and got better than excellent stats.

Flash/Itesh should focus coding efforts for the next week on making a MUD wide 19 15 15 18 19 Hunter, 19 15 15 17 19 warrior, 18 15 15 19 18 rogue, 15 19 19 18 15 FC/MC blanket stat changes for everyone. Then remove the stat line from the statistics page. 19 Con gives you 380-400 hp, 18 con 360-380, FC/MC capped at 280 as is now.

Then rank 8 can add a permanent hps or ob or pb bonus by immortals adding 1 con/str/dex to their near perfect stats.

TLDR; stats were a dung show back then. Continue to be something bitched about today. Have no role in any modern game.

Kordin

Post by Kordin » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:03 pm

Davor wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:01 pm
Have no role in any modern game.
:?

Asandra

Post by Asandra » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:43 am

I also think the random distribution of stats for STR, INT, WIL, DEX, CON do not benefit the game.

Either make it assignable a-la pracs or make it something to earn like Master / R8.
People killing saplings AFK during work...