... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Stomp

Re: Feedback: Gem Crafting

Post by Stomp » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:23 pm

while it is exceptionally boring to do, it seems like it is fairly easy to obtain these items. I started yesterday and in limitted time have obtained 2 emeralds and 2 diamonds. Now its not like Im trying to make 400 DTs or DSTs, so I cant imagine while getting 2 of each in 2 days would be considered a bad outcome.

rawandle

Post by rawandle » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:15 pm

That is an incredible outcome, they usually dont show up that often. and it is very rng based, so each time you sieve a bucket you may or may not get gem. Each time you get a gem you need to cut it and theres probably a 1/5 chance of getting a large one you can use for crafting instead of selling it for 55 GC. On average it seems to take an hour of mining to get one large stone, so it is profitable but nothing that's gonna make you super rich.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:37 am

Sounds this feature landed about where I wanted it, with people either semi-attentive risking getting killed, or having to pay attention to prevent getting killed. The risk of getting killed was planned, that's why there are 4 locations to sieve and wash. Also wrt it not being a get rich quick scheme, but still yielding some cash even if you aren't lucking out with large gemstones.

As for DS, there is nothing stopping darkfriends from either mining or purchasing gems. Given how now every fade and dreadlord can work with darkfriends, there should be less of a bottleneck there. Some people on DS have mentioned they would like to have a way for large gems to also sell for cash, but to me it would make much more sense to trade the useless large ones for useful large ones with darkfriends.

There are no plans for loading gemstones on smobs. Also, I had a good chuckle at DS suggesting something should be smobbable, because it seems so out of character.

Current amount of diamonds on rent files that I could see is 22, out of which 9 are either on DS or darkfriends. That's really not bad.

Reyne

Post by Reyne » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:56 pm

I've been liking it.

isabel

Post by isabel » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:13 pm

Reyne wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:56 pm
I've been liking it.
enabler

Margaux

Post by Margaux » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:00 pm

Elysia wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:37 am
Sounds this feature landed about where I wanted it, with people either semi-attentive risking getting killed, or having to pay attention to prevent getting killed. The risk of getting killed was planned, that's why there are 4 locations to sieve and wash. Also wrt it not being a get rich quick scheme, but still yielding some cash even if you aren't lucking out with large gemstones.

As for DS, there is nothing stopping darkfriends from either mining or purchasing gems. Given how now every fade and dreadlord can work with darkfriends, there should be less of a bottleneck there. Some people on DS have mentioned they would like to have a way for large gems to also sell for cash, but to me it would make much more sense to trade the useless large ones for useful large ones with darkfriends.

There are no plans for loading gemstones on smobs. Also, I had a good chuckle at DS suggesting something should be smobbable, because it seems so out of character.

Current amount of diamonds on rent files that I could see is 22, out of which 9 are either on DS or darkfriends. That's really not bad.
As a suggestion, maybe update the new Knomon mob to award gems for DS players. Instead of providing 2 tokens for TP conversion, maybe a token and a gem or as a ranking bonus to 5 instead of picking a weapon, pick a gem. This would award those advancing thru PK rather than smobbing.

https://wotmod.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12359

chelou

Post by chelou » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:13 pm

Margaux wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:00 pm
Elysia wrote:

As a suggestion, maybe update the new Knomon mob to award gems for DS players. Instead of providing 2 tokens for TP conversion, maybe a token and a gem or as a ranking bonus to 5 instead of picking a weapon, pick a gem. This would award those advancing thru PK rather than smobbing.

Right... because there needs to be a way to do crafting through pk instead of by actual crafting?? The whole point of having a giant open world with tons of stuff to do is that there is more stuff going on than just pk. And if you prefer one type of playstyle, then just trade with those who are gem mining. Instead of trying to make everything tailor-made to your own needs, you could look at how you fit in with the rest of the community.

Btw, I don't mean to attack you personally with this statement. It's just there is a sentiment around a large number of pk'ers in general that they should be able to advance in every aspect of this game without doing anything other than pk; when there is a variety of things to do and each aspect can and should (and does unless enough people whine about things enough to get them changed) have its own style and benefits that goes along with it. Gem crafting is another avenue that adds depth to the game (even if it is a little boring), and it creates different things for people to do. If you like the results that come from it you should either learn how to do it yourself or offer something of value to the people who are doing it, that creates interactions between the different members of each playstyle that makes the game more realistic and feel more like a dynamic community.

Margaux

Post by Margaux » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:36 pm

chelou wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:13 pm
Margaux wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:00 pm
Elysia wrote:

Right... because there needs to be a way to do crafting through pk instead of by actual crafting?? The whole point of having a giant open world with tons of stuff to do is that there is more stuff going on than just pk. And if you prefer one type of playstyle, then just trade with those who are gem mining. Instead of trying to make everything tailor-made to your own needs, you could look at how you fit in with the rest of the community.

Btw, I don't mean to attack you personally with this statement. It's just there is a sentiment around a large number of pk'ers in general that they should be able to advance in every aspect of this game without doing anything other than pk; when there is a variety of things to do and each aspect can and should (and does unless enough people whine about things enough to get them changed) have its own style and benefits that goes along with it. Gem crafting is another avenue that adds depth to the game (even if it is a little boring), and it creates different things for people to do. If you like the results that come from it you should either learn how to do it yourself or offer something of value to the people who are doing it, that creates interactions between the different members of each playstyle that makes the game more realistic and feel more like a dynamic community.
DS is for PK not PVE. If I wanted to PVE i would play a LS KMG.

Detritus

Post by Detritus » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:41 pm

So you dont craft, you just kill the people using crafted rares. Solved.

chelou

Post by chelou » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:44 pm

so you want all the benefits from something, without doing it?