New change to Zomara rare repair

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Cruoris

New change to Zomara rare repair

Post by Cruoris » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:08 am

https://wotmod.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12934
As the 2 rares + jeweled wristcuffs = 1 pristine rare feature was not getting used much, we've made some changes.

As of now you will need one rare and the jcuffs. The mobol will give you a 50% chance of getting your rare repaired. If the repair fails, you will get your jcuffs back.
Does anyone feel like the feature is going to be used even less?
Lets do some math here(correct me if I am wrong with calculations):
Chance to repair rare on 1st try: 50%
Chance to repair rare on 2nd try: 50%*50% = 25%

In other words you get 75% chance(50% + 25% from first and second attempts combined) to repair your rare with 2 attempts, unless you are lucky and RNG God gave you a hug. Basically, no guarantee you get anything after wasting two(three/five/ten/etc) rares. Sounds like it is going to be used even less :p

I think it would make sense to consume one cuff on failure(as a service fee) and keep it at 50% probability. But consuming a rare itself sounds like a bad deal with such chance.

Ominas

Re: New change to Zomara rare repair

Post by Ominas » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:07 am

Weird argument. The rare was lost regardless. Two jcuffs is nothing.

Cool feature. Good change

Eol

Post by Eol » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:57 pm

The old system guarantees a rare. The new system doesn't. But the new system basically says - your rare ruined? Roll the dice and see. It doesn't require you to stockpile/acquire multiples. Its accessible to anyone who can get their hands on a ruined rare and therefore more accessible for the game as a whole. Perhaps its "less" favorable for experienced players who are capable of acquiring multiples and want to know they'll definitely get something back. My suspicion is the Imms aren't bothered by that. We all have different perceptions about a lot of things in the game and I think in general they believe in the depreciation/destruction of items as a force of ultimate good for the game.

Elyse

Post by Elyse » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:32 pm

Extremely high value coin flips always worry me, since two players can have wildly different outcomes and there's a chance for real "feel bad" moments, especially for someone who "loses" on multiple rolls.

What about guaranteed success, but to just good condition or the like? Assuming that the jcuff supply is (or eventually will be) to some degree limiting, we will over time see a reduction in the number of playable rares without individual players having sharply different outcomes. Note that this will not result in actually removing weapons, as the old rares that a player lacks the jcuffs to repair will probably be stored in the hope of future accumulation of cuffs, but the number of rares in playable condition will still go down, and we will still get the desired reduction in stored jcuffs too.

Rhys

Post by Rhys » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:59 pm

I think it would be cool if it cost 1 jcuff per “condition level” that you want repaired — i.e. it would cost 1 jcuff to repair a weapon from excellent to pristine or from good to excellent, but 2 to repair from good to pristine, 3 for fair, 4 for quite used, 5 for poor, etc

Taziar

Post by Taziar » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:57 pm

I'd prefer to lose the jcuffs on a fail instead of the rare...

Adael

Post by Adael » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:02 pm

But then there wouldn't ever be any rares leaving the game through this mechanism :P

Cruoris

Post by Cruoris » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:54 pm

The best 'leaving the game' mechanism in the game is your rents, kids :) Nothing will ever beat it.
As for multiple people saying 'a worn out rare is useless anyways' thats not quite true. There are still dismantle and treasury options out there.
I am not saying that more rares need to stay in game or something. Just trying to point out that new Zomara mechanic looks less tempting than old one. And the change was supposed to make it more popular.

Fermin

Post by Fermin » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:44 pm

so on a failure you lose the rare and get the jcuffs back...maybe we are misunderstanding

Take heron longsword - 20k even in terrible condition...who would do that?

I can see maybe a dirks if you really need one and have an unmendable pair, but even then coin flip to either lose 7.5k crowns or gain 4k crowns (cost of dirks vs cost of dirks-cost of jcuffs)...

interesting concept though...maybe just have it cost say 6 tokens to repair something to pristine.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:06 pm

Elyse wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:32 pm
What about guaranteed success, but to just good condition or the like?
When an imm or mob loads an item, it's essentially pristine or bust.

The previous complaint was that people could not get 2 decrepit rares of the same type. This aims to address that. Either deposit at treasurer, get tps back or roll the dice.