Login

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Orino

Login

Post by Orino » Wed May 27, 2020 12:38 pm

I tried showing the game to my son.

1. Passphrase
- why not password!

2. Homeland
- he had no clue what to pick and gave up to play something else

So! Can we update the process to be simpler to start?

I get it, he is only 10. But still, can we make starting easier??

Orino

hasp

Re: Login

Post by hasp » Wed May 27, 2020 2:07 pm

Show him my guide. It walks you through then someone made a video of getting to level 10

Brocas

Post by Brocas » Wed May 27, 2020 2:54 pm

With all due respect, the 2 things you posted as being inhibitors, making starting this game difficult to start, is kind of absurd.

1. Password and passphrase are synonymous.
2. In nearly all RPGs you select a class and race. I know homeland and race aren't the same but seriously, you just select where you want your character to be from. Being new to the game it doesn't really matter what homeland you select with regards to stats, but rather where you may want to rp from.

If he had trouble with those 2 things above, there is no way he'd put in the time to understand all of the intricacies of wotmud and likely give up before reaching stats.

Do you have any suggestions on how to make it simpler?

iria

Post by iria » Wed May 27, 2020 3:01 pm

Kind of agree with the Homeland point, since homelands have different statcaps and a new player has no way of knowing that. So he might pick a name he likes and then pick Mayene or some other useless homeland. Then he has to remake a new character after being told the Homeland he picked was garbage, lots of hassle just to start the joy of statting. Been a while since I made a new character, could be there already is some prompt or hint at which homeland is better suited for what.

Other than that, what Brocas said

Brocas

Post by Brocas » Wed May 27, 2020 3:07 pm

That's true but when I started I had no idea that homelands affected stats or even what stats were yet. When you are just getting started with a game, I don't think people start with a mindset to min/max their character. Perhaps all homelands should just be equal with regards to max stats?

isabel

Post by isabel » Wed May 27, 2020 3:15 pm

Kind of funny if you think about it though. Who ever came up with the thing of - Oh Illian is great for Channelers, and so on. What is that logic? Channelers in Wotmud were from all over. And Andor was such a popular/main region there.

It would be like GoT game where if you wanted to play a Kingsguard character you HAD to stat from Dorne!! Totally random :p

Kordin

Post by Kordin » Wed May 27, 2020 3:54 pm

isabel wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 3:15 pm
Kind of funny if you think about it though. Who ever came up with the thing of - Oh Illian is great for Channelers, and so on. What is that logic? Channelers in Wotmud were from all over. And Andor was such a popular/main region there.

It would be like GoT game where if you wanted to play a Kingsguard character you HAD to stat from Dorne!! Totally random :p
"Here's a handful of homelands that are good/decent....and the rest will never be really used..." :P

Orino

Post by Orino » Wed May 27, 2020 4:51 pm

Just isn't much to go on for a first time...unless you have prior mudding experience.

Kordin

Post by Kordin » Thu May 28, 2020 2:07 am

Orino wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 4:51 pm
Just isn't much to go on for a first time...unless you have prior mudding experience.

That's the same for all MUDs, more or less.

There is plenty of info on the main site as well as the wiki for new players to go through, before playing or sticking with a character. (https://wotmud.info/homelands/)

It's really a matter of reading the manual before handing this machinery :)

Arbies

Post by Arbies » Thu May 28, 2020 2:36 am

Jokes on you I can't read anyways.