Food truck and or concession stand

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Sarryn

Food truck and or concession stand

Post by Sarryn » Mon May 25, 2020 1:57 am

So I’m thinking of purchasing a food truck. My girlfriend has lots of prior experience with this line of work. But I’m wanting someone else’s view. Maybe it won’t be so sugar coated lol. Her family owned one and made bank. But like any new adventure in life it is a little nerve racking to try. So if anyone has any experience either working in or owning a food truck please toss me a mail and or post here. I’m eager to hear some different views and stories on it.

Ps. Yes I know with covid this isn’t the ideal time or thing to get into. That being said seeking advice still. :ugeek:

Drol

Re: Food truck and or concession stand

Post by Drol » Mon May 25, 2020 3:31 am

Honestly, if you’re relying on your girlfriend +/- family for all the advice in running something like this, be very very certain about your relationship and her family and then when you’re certain, still think again.

This kind of stuff (ie money and making a living) kills relationships and it’s really only a minority that make it work. And every failed venture started out with a will to succeed.

Goodluck whichever way you go. Food trucks are awesome.

Just my 2 cents.

Ominas

Post by Ominas » Mon May 25, 2020 3:45 am

Get with Rasmus if you can. He owned a few different fleets of trucks over the years. Last time we spoke he was about to start another.

A few of us (myself) are in the food world. I’ve also designed menus and drinks for a few different truck companies. So if you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

Just remember to take what most say with a grain of salt unless they’ve got decades in, and have a great track record. As in they can verify their successes. Every professional in the food industry thinks they are the best. They often are not. This is important down the road when you begin to hire, if you do this. And it will hopefully help you sort through advice you receive.

Edit: Drol’s post is good. The food world is tough. Do you have experience in the industry by the way? If not I recommend not doing it.

rodurnon

Post by rodurnon » Mon May 25, 2020 6:04 am

A lot would depend where you where based and what market you are aiming at. I have been in catering for the last 25 years and a couple of years ago I set up a consultency buisness for the market.
Life was going along pretty sweet until this kicked in and went from a healthy income to pretty much zero in the next few weeks.
I would say that market reserch is the key thing, have a look see whats missing and if you would be able to fill that gap. when you have found the neiche make sure that what you do is of very good quality for the price point you are going to charge. The easiest way to ruin it would be to charge premium price but supply basic quality.
Hit me up on discord if you have any questions and I will try and answer them.

Also as Drol and Ominas said think is this solid and then think again

Rodger

Post by Rodger » Mon May 25, 2020 8:21 am

My favorite food trucks are just all about limited supply of very good and tasty food. Rodurnon probably knows more about that but the one I'm thinking about would tweet his location for the day and be sold out in like 2 hours, this was in oakland ca. It was ceviche, sometimes ceviche taco's.I think high quality food and decent pricing is a good combo, if I go to a food truck that is iffy, I just never go back.

Jaster

Post by Jaster » Mon May 25, 2020 12:05 pm

If you love hard work for minimal return I would highly suggest a food truck. The startup cost is great with a slow plan to paying that off. Your business flow will be up and down and if you mess up slightly or supply mediocre food you will have to find a new city. If your relationship is just ok, plan to break up or get divorced. This will only add more problems. You will need to learn all trades as outsourcing maintenance will sink your depleting minimal profits in one shot. If you have lived off the grid, have a very basic lifestyle, or owe no debt, this can be something you can live off of. If your passion is to serve great food for nothing, have at it :)

Do this. Make a spreadsheet and play magical numbers. Input your startup costs itemized by estimates you research. Then calculate a rough guess of your revenue inflow vs your cogs. Throw in your variable expenses like gas, electric, permits or whatever you may need. Do an average plate cost of $10. See where you end up weekly or monthly or yearly. I can formulate one for you for suits and giggles if you want.

Eol

Post by Eol » Mon May 25, 2020 12:49 pm

This doesn't have anything to do with food trucks, but just a business comment.

I'm trying to add a cash-pay service to my business. In a previous business venture I offered this service. At the time I thought we overcharged for the service and wondered could I offer it at a lower price. Currently I refer out this service to a local store who offers a product that I would describe as good enough/cheap. Its really just a window dressing product they use to get people to buy more profitable things.

I contacted my prior vendor. I got pricing for bulk and individual/low volume. I researched how we'd have to sell it - we can't sell it through our current billing system so we need to add on essentially a different sales system (not a big deal but a nuisance). The vendor has increased the price of the item by 33% in the span of 2 years since I left my last business even on the bulk order. I also have to get a specific license from the gov to offer it. The license is $600 every 3 years.

I sat down to try an determine our profit margin. A bunch of the costs I could quantify. Many I could not. Selling it will interfere with other parts of flow of the business/turn-over time/staff time.

Before I did this I asked our office manager what they would price it at. I gave them some rough overhead costs. They guestimated priced at where I thought I could sell it when I was "idealistic". Anyway, the more I did the math, the more I think the price my prior business price is not overpriced. The product's price is fluctuating - up. We'd be in danger of having to increase prices within a year. We'll be on the hook for satisfaction. The risk/costs go on. Ultimately, I feel like what Jaster said below. I'll be offering a service. It will supplement the service I already offer (so I'm not as bad off as the foot truck). But I may not make any money from it which raises the question - what's the point. The service is already available elsewhere without too much headache for me.

Whatever you think something costs - it probably costs more. When I was growing up there was an episode of "I love Lucy" where she decides to sell salad dressing. Ricky comes home and tells her she's losing money on every jar. Don't be Lucy!

Good luck!

Sarryn

Post by Sarryn » Mon May 25, 2020 1:43 pm

Always good advice to be wary. But if you don’t have trust in a relationship give up now. We own a house together. She’s never given me reason to not. Of my girlfriends she’s been the best by far. Always kept everything split down the middle fair and square. She’s an amazing worker and go getter. She’s very smart (sometimes annoying so) and mature. I’ve had a few to many duds in my life. So I get that end, they’ve definitely created some second thoughts in the brain.
It’s a scary adventure no questions about it.

I might get into more details when I have more time and am not exhausted mentally and physically lol. Always been a man of few words so no surprises there. But long story short to throw a bone into the conversation. Basically her and her family owned there own business. They basically only did big shows and festivals. With basically fair type food. You know the funnel cakes and that jazz. Which are extremely cheap to make comparatively food upkeep/costs etc.

Basically to start we’d be doing the simpler and low cost to sell ratio type stuff. As it goes along more may be addded. But we want to keep it simple. Anyways will probably elaborate more when I have time. Thanks for the replies and I might hit you up down the line here for sure!

Drol

Post by Drol » Mon May 25, 2020 5:59 pm

Just to clarify, I’m not saying your girlfriend isn’t trustworthy or even an amazing person.

I’m just saying that even the most amazing relationships can change when a business is in the mix. She makes a mistake, or you do, it costs both of you time and money. If that happens enough, even a healthy relationship can have it challenges. That’s all I mean.

I know nothing about food or business otherwise. Just that any kind of outside stress can affect your relationships with anyone.

aronz

Post by aronz » Mon May 25, 2020 10:36 pm

Second what Drol said about working with spouce/gf/family.
My wife and I ran a cafe, in downtown Dallas for 6 years, but it damn near lead to us killing each other, a lot, a couple sessions in counciling, but it worked out, for the good, in the long run, but it took a ton of work, both the work, and emotionally, amongst us.

We've moved on, to less stressful ventures now, and life is much better.