Unique's being limited to 1 alt

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Draconus

Unique's being limited to 1 alt

Post by Draconus » Tue May 19, 2020 2:26 am

After taking a look at the Unique's thread, and observing many year's of wotmud behavior, I have always wondered what the point of having multiple uniques across multiple alts was...

Logically speaking, if the hope is that uniques are active and always in play, then having 1 character have multiple uniques across a number of alts makes that impossible.

To that end, I suggest IMM's implement a rule to restrict the number of unique's a player can have to only 1 alt. The more of them that are in play, the better it is in my opinion.

Razhak

Re: Unique's being limited to 1 alt

Post by Razhak » Tue May 19, 2020 5:49 am

Sounds stupid to me. Pretty things will Always end up in the hands of certain players. That was 20 years ago the case, this is still the case.

I am perhaps one of the few people here that only have one main alt, but I see the majority of people playing on this mud manage quite well to actively play across several alts . By this I mean that they are online, playing daily (and not getting some afk hours in clanrents in).

Should not be a problem in those cases. This sounds more like a whine to me, to be honest. If you want those uniques: kill the alt that carries them.

Draz

Post by Draz » Tue May 19, 2020 8:32 am

Agreed that this sounds stupid.

When I do have uniques I usually end up with uniques on 2-3 alts within a short period - and they're almost all being used differently (katars vs lamans vs sai vs beaded vs foxhead).

While there is a definite tendancy to protect uniques those who do tend to get several of them also tend to be the players who don't just park them hidden in a rent for years at a time.

Eol

Post by Eol » Tue May 19, 2020 12:51 pm

My suspicion is the Immortals are looking for more opportunities to make things happen and fewer opportunities to be referees and rulekeepers and he said she saids. Like they really want to check people's alts to see if someone has a unique on multiple alts or be told by players - hey, so and so has 2 uniques. Also, do you want to pass on a unique on 1 char cause your other char has one and you are now breaking a rule?

That said, the future of uniques is probably bleak. Trying to keep them active is a chore. My suspicion - at some point they'll just introduce a unique on the first of the month and it'll leave the game regardless of activity 15-30 days later. No follow-up up needed. No wondering if its in play or if its active or being used enough. Will it be obnoxious to all. Probably, but perhaps you'll enjoy the beautify of the unique more as it will be fleeting.

Sannil Sandal

Post by Sannil Sandal » Tue May 19, 2020 5:49 pm

Draz wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:32 am
Agreed that this sounds stupid.

When I do have uniques I usually end up with uniques on 2-3 alts within a short period - and they're almost all being used differently (katars vs lamans vs sai vs beaded vs foxhead).

While there is a definite tendancy to protect uniques those who do tend to get several of them also tend to be the players who don't just park them hidden in a rent for years at a time.
Didn't you just have Foxhead purged from one of your rents a few weeks ago.

LOL

fiddler

Post by fiddler » Tue May 19, 2020 5:56 pm

When are you going run your workshop on the use of Uniques?

Draconus

Post by Draconus » Tue May 19, 2020 7:15 pm

Razhak wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:49 am
Sounds stupid to me. Pretty things will Always end up in the hands of certain players. That was 20 years ago the case, this is still the case.

I am perhaps one of the few people here that only have one main alt, but I see the majority of people playing on this mud manage quite well to actively play across several alts . By this I mean that they are online, playing daily (and not getting some afk hours in clanrents in).

Should not be a problem in those cases. This sounds more like a whine to me, to be honest. If you want those uniques: kill the alt that carries them.

https://wotmod.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11045

Looks like Elysia disagrees with you...

Anyway, this is a moot point since that post clearly shows what's happening to uniques.... And the reason why they are being taken out...

Jaster

Post by Jaster » Wed May 20, 2020 12:02 am

I look forward to a new week of begging the staff and immortals to come to the rescue. I didn't know that the pandemic was going to help stir more lazy out of the players. The items are in play. Kill the person using them. It is a very hard concept, I get that.

Razhak

Post by Razhak » Wed May 20, 2020 1:43 am

Draconus wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:15 pm
Razhak wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:49 am

https://wotmod.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11045

Looks like Elysia disagrees with you...

Anyway, this is a moot point since that post clearly shows what's happening to uniques.... And the reason why they are being taken out...
Actually that post says nothing about not being allowed to have uniques across several alts. That post was about a way to monitor whether uniques were actually actively played (through some mobolled route where you had to find a certain mob where you had to show your unique so it registered your activity, in other words: you were not allowed to just get some afk hours in a clanrent in).

Your proposal was to limit people to having only one unique per player (instead of being able to have uniques on several alts). The current policy as far as I know, and as far as imms have decreed, is still that you are allowed to have as many uniques on any alt, on as many alts, as long as you play them actively.

That post by Elysia changes nothing about that, and is not relevant in any way to the specific question you posted here.

Draconus

Post by Draconus » Wed May 20, 2020 1:44 am

What's amazing is that 50% of active unique weapons are with 1 player, on one side, yet they play alts that dont have any uniques...

Also, the difficulty of killing players isnt what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about the concept of Uniques being active. If 3 alts of the same player on the same side have uniques, then logically they wont be actively played... Which defeats the original purpose of those items.

Keeping tabs on 6 uniques is pretty easy as well, as can be seen from the Unique's thread existing. So the time commitment reason to not do it doesnt make much sense to me...

That being said, I like the idea of having a time limit on how long the item stays in game before its purged. Probably the only way to deal with player greed..