abs decay rate intended?

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
isabel

abs decay rate intended?

Post by isabel » Tue May 12, 2020 5:43 am

Does anyone else find this really annoying? i feel like after every 20 mins of pk or so i have to mend abs, and i'm actuallly having to discard abs all the time because it wears down so quickly. Granted I ditch it before it's used condition, but I don't really want to be pking in below 83% abs and that's where it lands up really fast. Feel like the whole point of abs IS that extra 4% we get, so is it intended that we have to keep mending it every 15ish minutes?

To compare: Heavy combo mended is 81 abs plus some 220-240 def iirc, dodge doesn't need mending at all, regular combo can go from 71 to 65-66 without too much impact? (not a combo player so guestimating that last).

P.S - Murgoz killing parry - is that intended too? When you run the numbers through, it doesnt' seem worth losing that parry. Also been looking at bashability and bone club bashes 150 db better than mallet or hooked swords!

Razhak

Re: abs decay rate intended?

Post by Razhak » Tue May 12, 2020 7:04 am

Agreed, ABS decay rate should be looked at.

Ciegon

Post by Ciegon » Tue May 12, 2020 5:10 pm

I agree. Abs decays a way too fast.

Benito

Post by Benito » Tue May 12, 2020 5:22 pm

Eh, I would have agreed a few years back, but abs is much stronger now than it used to be, both compared to other setups and in raw numbers.

It's not as noticeable if you're playing a master, since you're still gonna be doing fine against fresh abs, but hop on a non-master comboer and it feels like you do no damage at all. Then, once you do finally have someone low, they just stand zerk in a room and spam 8-)

I do agree about Murgoz abs, though. Too heavy.

isabel

Post by isabel » Wed May 13, 2020 2:14 am

Not talking about balance Benito, just about decay rate. Are you saying that abs is so OP against non-master combo that it needs to be balanced by having superfast decay so that effectively (unless they keep going in to mend - which is btw what we do) we're pking at 81-83?

If yes, then to your zerk attack point, I would say
1) Combo has plenty of options like flee hitting, watching fleelag, calling in more, falling back to your mobs when low (low abs cannot chase realistically combo into blight as you know whereas low combo CAN watch fleelag to finish abs), beating abs bash timer, OR just not hitting and leaving if you think you will lose there and you can't get them to hit you anywhere else
2) Abs hunters don't get zerk attack
3) Zerking comes with high risk. It is the #1 way that abs warriors die and the #1 way they kill stuff.

Relevant facts:
1) I tested out master abser vs master comboer and 83% took significantly more damage - it is just not worth it to play with sub-par abs if you want to be competitive
2) Ran this through eq trainer and playground a heavy combo bone club setup (full helm, shiner, gold vambs/greaves, sturdy gaunts, lissome boots, parry eq and 99 pracs 19 19 19) will give you 83% abs and 230 defence and BETTER bash than full abs/mallet on a master.

Again, I am not saying the balance is off. I love abs and love playing it. Am just talking about whether abs was intended to decay such that absers are effectively playing with 81-83 and not 84-85.

Adael

Post by Adael » Wed May 13, 2020 9:29 am

isabel wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 2:14 am
2) Ran this through eq trainer and playground a heavy combo bone club setup (full helm, shiner, gold vambs/greaves, sturdy gaunts, lissome boots, parry eq and 99 pracs 19 19 19) will give you 83% abs and 230 defence and BETTER bash than full abs/mallet on a master.
This is a bit misleading imo. That’s not a heavy combo kit, that’s an abs kit with a shield :P
Throw an etched shield on someone in a standard abs kit with the specifications you mentioned and they’ll have 207 defense with a bone club.

isabel

Post by isabel » Wed May 13, 2020 9:49 am

I'm not able to run it through the melee calculator becuase I don't know the OB of blighted trees etc yet, but for anyone choosing the abs with high damage weapon, there is constant mending. What you're pointing out - and I agree - is that while it's abs in pk even that heavy combo setup will need constant mending.

87 abs - crap parry - best bash, best damage (mallet/hooked) <-- ABS has to be mended superfast
85 abs - 22ish parry - best bash, best damage <-- ABS has to be mended superfast
85 abs + 200 def - better than best bash, less damage (bclub) <-- ABS has to be mended fast with PCs <-- I haven't played the combo setups much so I don't know how soon tbh, just guessing
83 abs + 230 def - better than best bash, less damage (bclub), gold vambs/greaves <--- Abs has to be mended fast with PCs
81 abs + 240(?) def - same as above, ftunic set with full helm gold eq etc <--- Abs has to be mended fast with PCs

71 abs + 280 (?) def - regular combo
then parry eq stuff

then the dodge stuff

I can keep an eye on how fast this mending stuff happens but just saying from experience that we have to pretty much leave pk to mend for any prolonged pk.

Landon

Post by Landon » Wed May 13, 2020 12:42 pm

I thought the durability stat of abs armor already got maxed out a few years ago. It has felt ok for me, until my armor hit good condition. Then it sucks. If it was easy to change, I wouldn't be against a slight buff.

Razhak

Post by Razhak » Wed May 13, 2020 3:53 pm

Make db decline with use as dodge eq decays :P

Even out the field!

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Wed May 13, 2020 5:33 pm

Itesh looked at this and dug up that abs gets more damaged the more damage is done to it. In short, over the course of years, as people got improved weapons, more damage was done to abs and thus it started decaying faster. E.g. the difference between the damage of a long, thin sword and a dark grim axe.

Items like shining are already at max condition, so there's nothing that can be done there in terms of improving their max condition to slow down decay.

We had already discussed the possibility of field mending abs upstairs, which would also equal less deterioration through shop mending. However, if/when that happens depends on many, many factors.