Warrants without an in character reason.

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Yeri

Re: Warrants without an in character reason.

Post by Yeri » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:34 pm

@Reyne - I think specific clans won't be able to find common ground - SS/Tower is one combination, CoL/Tower is another. However, I still don't believe blanket warrants are justified there - I think you're painting with too broad a brush when you say that all SS want to keep you as pets. I think it'd be quite reasonable for a particular SS not to care about Tower - not everyone in the books was super dogmatic or necessarily supported what the official governmental policy was, especially in cases where a more practical approach was necessary (see: fighting DS, and why I think grouping should be allowed given the alternative is death by trolloc).

For everyone that does not have a great reason to be thinking about SS (ie, anyone with specific territory that could be encroached imminently, or anyone with specific moral reasons), I don't think there's a great reason to warrant for being SS.

But then again, I'm not the one running their RP, and I'm no longer SS, so frankly I don't need to care anymore.

Razhak

Post by Razhak » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:03 pm

God... I really dont understand this discussion.

1) you decide to create or clan into a certain clan or side. This means you will have to adhere to the RP and the consequences of said clan or side. This can be small, like not wearing dark eq (as small as it is, still very hard for all you chortlesnorflers out there who will do anything for 1-3 extra points on your stats...) which is in line with your RP. It can also be big, like having sworn enemies who will gladly drink your blood for breakfast.
2) This means that if you decide to create a seanchan, you will have people on LS gunning for you. Especially Tower clanneds. This is natural because in the end.. you are their sworn enemy. You can clamor all you want that you are peacefull, but the essence of your RP is to reclaim the lands of Arthur Hawkwing and to bind any and all channeler to the a'dam.. If you dont like that deal: dont create a seanchan.
3) The same goes for CoL/HoL in this case. For the Tower basically it is impossible to differentiate between someone who wants to kill them, or someone who is bending their RP to be peacefull and all that..
4) Stop whining about warrants that are in line with your RP, it is like someone said: it is like a trolloc complaining that all LS cities are aggro to him..
5) I like beer.
6) And WTF is chortlesnorfling Caemlyn aggro to me anyhow?!

Aira

Post by Aira » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:49 pm

Reyne wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:24 am
Sorry about this. I suspect it was during a period of inactivity for the Blue, though, and not a purposeful snub.
The Blue Ajah back then had two to three times as many Sedai active as it has now. It was a snub alright, just because they could. Let's put it this way, for the Ajah of justice, it hasn't always done the just thing.

EDITed to add to Razhak: ah, but the contradiction in RP is what makes it fun. Like being an Accepted who does not look like a princess, or who is clumsy. Or Laef, who was a fat Wisdom.

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:17 pm

I disagree with blanket warrants also.

A human being is a human being. Their affiliation comes through seeing what they wear, say and do. They can RP what they like. I would love for SS not to be blanket warranted, for them to come into cities, and to RP with them asking where their accent is from. There were loads of 'forerunners' in the books who infiltrated cities and spoke to the people. SS have been forced to be on the LS side and become the same type of human, but are constantly treated like crap, trashtalked and don't even have the opportunity to get some more interesting game play out of it. Being a SS is punitive and it's no wonder people don't feel up to playing their SS characters anymore.

In addition, unless something has changed in the last week since I logged on, Darlanyu who made this post is a Novice - who isn't allowed to leave Tar Valon. It's even more unreasonable for her to get a warrant despite her open affiliation on a who list because not only has whoever warranted her probably not seen her, she probably didn't even leave Tar Valon - I realise that may be the case for many characters but hers doesn't even have the freedom to go and get a warrant in an rpish matter even if she wanted to, which for me makes it rankle a little bit more.

I'd love for clan flags not to appear on a who list, and for view clan to only work for your own clan. That would make things much more interesting.

Razhak

Post by Razhak » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:21 pm

@jaye: this all works in LaLaLand, but not in this mud. People have and will abuse their being unwarranted to sneak into cities and kill people.

I understand where you are all coming from, but I would want to put it like this: there is a war going on, you picked a side. Now live with it. Or die. But stop chortlesnorfling (god I love this replacement!) whine about it. If you want to go around and RP and explore, then create a character that unaffiliated (so not a seanchan/Tower/etc).

Or go DS, atleast then its clear who will kill you or not :P

keim

Post by keim » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:33 pm

All in all, against blanket warrants in absence of a declaration of war. Notably i do think there should be exceptions for seanchan warranting tower members, at least channies, and hol/col warranting tower members, at least channies.

Funnily enough, im on the fence on tower warranting back. Less on the fence for tower warranting seanchan, more on the fence about warranting col/hol. But that has nothing to do with the game, more to do with how the tower acted in the books, seems like they wouldn't be all gung ho to warrant whole nations, they at least acted above such matters, though this doesn't translate well into the game so at least i understand it

However I do dislike some of the blanket warranting ive seen from random clans blanket warranting other random clans. Yet to see a thiefbane ic yet my seanchan is warranted, because invading army apparantly, not sure wtf that would have to do with thiefbane who has no nation for us to invade... (not really going at tb, just a recent one ive seen personally)

Reyne

Post by Reyne » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:05 pm

I can only speak re Tower stuff of course. Tower is not able to go to war, so you have the warrants.

I feel like in no book world would Tower just ignore it if Children of Light raided Tar Valon and slaughtered novices and Accepted in the halls of the Tower over the course of months culminating with an assassination of the Amyrlin Seat.

I'm not super *for* blanket warrants and I've always preferred to at least see someone in the same room before I throw a warrant on. I kind of miss Children of Light initiates trying to preach the Way of the Light in Tar Valon. But again - that was a deliberate move on the part of the Tower to try and get your more reasonable members asking for pardons and working out some kind of truce.

You can't expect to just continuously attack the Tower with zero response. It really doesn't matter if a few CoL are nice when there are murders being done in the Tower itself. If the *oL wants the warrants removed they are welcome to try and negotiate some terms. That was the point of the blanket warrant in the first place. *oL were the ones that escalated to this point.

aeogwyn

Post by aeogwyn » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:50 pm

keim wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:33 pm
Notably i do think there should be exceptions for seanchan warranting tower members, at least channies, and hol/col warranting tower members, at least channies.
Finding this thread hilarious since it is in response to MEEEEEE. But what Keim said is basically what happened. I was hanging around, trying to help with some clan stuff the last few days and I warranted some Tower members because ALL TOWER MEMBERS ARE THE BAD GUYS (unless they are collared) in a very obvious RP sense. You can't even swear the oaths and not be a bad guy from a ss point-of-view. I did not just warrant anyone who I only think is a channeler, though I jokingly tried to get some wisdom to admit to it earlier. I was a smobber and then a pker and while I was never an "RPer" I have always stuck to my chars' RPs, which also explains why this character still has warrants from almost every single place including wolves.

Bivia

Post by Bivia » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:23 am

My tower warrant was given to me before I clanned SS. I was an applicant and had WL applicant in my title so my intentions were clear. I was minding my own business wandering around the almoth zone exploring when I noticed I suddenly had a warrant. That didn't really bother me though since I knew if i got clanned I would eventually earn my warrant anyways. A few minutes later I saw a member of the red ajah on where. I realize that I got warranted just so this player could come down and cash in on easy qps by killing a channie that didnt have clan weaves, even if i was only worth a torn bit at the time. I personally think thats a scummy thing to do, but that still wasnt what bothered me about it. What bothered me was that as a pretty new player I still foolishly thought the three oaths were a part of tower rp. After that I learned that the three oaths had been "relaxed" a bit so tower members didnt have to wait until someone they knew was hostile actually attacked them in order to fight back.

Long story short, blanket warrants are fine and rp doesnt matter anymore.

Dimmu

Post by Dimmu » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:07 am

Bivia wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:23 am
/snip . . . . and rp doesnt matter anymore.
It never did. Character advancement at any price is still very much prevalent though. RP is an mild inconvenience at best.