Adding to our Playerbase - Campaign

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
ecthus

Re: Adding to our Playerbase - Campaign

Post by ecthus » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:16 pm

Good advice from Iblis. Also, remember that cross-race rogues are going to have a tough time finding you if you go to some out of the way room. And they are usually lower mvs than you think they are.

Rodger

Post by Rodger » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:40 pm

I'll post what I've been posting for a long time. Some of the issues with rogues go away if you fix master damage, and by fix I mean remove. Alternatively give postures out at rank 5 instead of 7...

For me 1000 qp to get a character that can stab isn't bad, but for a new player? Too much

So I understand the risk/reward problem, the good thing about rogues and rogues being able to blick is it makes sure no one is unkillable and that there is more death in general. The bad thing is a lot of rogue kills are just like you said--you can't relax on wotmud or you get stabbed, unless of course you are playing a trolloc rogue then you can relax well all day. Which is also a thing that annoys me. On LS if you want to AFK all day waiting to vulture, at some point some other asshole is going to come incinerate you :P

Ominas

Post by Ominas » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:16 pm

Kryyg wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:57 pm
Rogues are still the most overpowered broken class on this game. Simple trends and evaluating all the shitty rogue to remort trends, all the WB being stab, the entire reaver list being rogues at one point would make this obvious. Stab damage Needs to be capped at a percentage or max hp.
Yep. Take away the prop and bring anew characters that actually have to fight, you’ll see a huge change in pk for the better.

There’s only two reasons you play a rogue, for the easy kills, and the survivability. Mostly the first.

Also like Rodger and Iblis’s posts.

As far as growth of the game that’s in players hands. Most of you have made some great suggestions. I’m not smart enough to contribute to that. Be genuine and make an effort when you see new players

Skurk

Post by Skurk » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:48 am

It's funny Arbies cause I personally found fermin one of the fun rogues to fight. Or relatively fun at leae5. Yeah I died 100% of the time but he made it feel like there was maybe a chance because he did crazy stuff sometimes to finish his kill.

Also was fun to fight against Arbies because he hagged himself all the time ;).

Either way reading all this made me miss pvping which is annoying since I have very little time.

aish

Post by aish » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:06 am

- When LS was more united, people like Verania or Kendall or many others running smob trains, filling barrels, re-eqing people

- People who were nice and helpful and enjoyed interacting with new players (regardless of their own pk level)

- PK-interested people who were interested in team building (like Markus, Ominas, etc) and worked with newer players - not just one off things, but pking with them over time etc.

Unfortunately, there are ZERO bonuses for leadership. So we have people saying - after Rank 8, then what? And it's focused on character/individual building, not really team or side or game building.

What if each experienced player took on a few under their wing, and committed to pk with them, or playing with? Smobbing/heralds is the ONLY thing that is wired around team play. Whereas PK rewards solo kills far more, and as others have pointed out, rogues dominate in terms of rewards. Clans would have been perfect to function as teams - and probably were designed that way, but LS clans don't work that way and again, no rewards for doing something as a clan.

Octavio

Post by Octavio » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:18 am

aish wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:06 am
And it's focused on character/individual building, not really team or side or game building.
This is one of the major issues that is wrong with this game. The majority of people don't give a crap about the others on the game, other than someone to kill. As was mentioned before, or in another thread, or on Discord, the entire purpose of a rogue player is to make it easier to kill another player. period. Another example, a Seanchan player recently made master. I personally was killed by that player on three different characters...each and every time there was zero interaction or RP by that Seanchan player and I was no where near any PK. All they cared about was getting to master and they could care less about RP, or other gameplay.

While the Imms stated goal is to "make this game more dangerous" it gets really old coming on, dying, and having to scrounge for gear. If a player who likes the game and wants to play it finds this tiring, what's a newer player going to think. They will be gone in a moment.

Skurk

Post by Skurk » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:39 am

Ok so I figured since this is adding to our playerbase, and I've already pointed out the thing that imo don't help - I should put some stuff that did a lot for me.

Firstly as a new player it was really cool for me how everyone was friendly and chatted to me on globals, replying to my idiotic questions. Secondly I enjoyed being stabbed by Boboliosie when he left my junk set and then explained why I was dumb. I still think stabbers are annoying but to begin with dying and then being given feedback was good. I also got a lot of help from Galfrey and Gretchen as I was exping which was great because that level 15-30 period is rough as a new player. I still appreciate the time they gave.

Another fun thing was my first time PKing, cant rememebr who was leading but outside whitebridge it was a big fight and idk if we won or not and I had no idea what was happening but i know I died due to being dumb and I fled off early probably causing someone elses death. Nobody said anything negative though and helped me to find some new equipment.

Other things that I've appreciated was when Shiva was running smobbing in the mornings (eutz) which gave something at least slightly fun to do during the low numbers hours. I also had fun when Erulisse or Draz would invite me along to do random things. A bunch of other people did too but thats off the top of my head.

On DS it was always fun if fiddler+anansi or rig was on because they'd find me some PK really fast. Always was fun. I'm sure there's also other great DS players but I didn't play that much to get to know them IG

The tower and interacting with people IC was kinda fun too. Maybe not for everyone these days, but I think new players appreciate the ICness of it.

I enjoyed fighting against Nooro and dying over and over and over but every time he'd send me the log with some pointers and leave my kit unless he needed it. I am unsure of how many deaths but I'm sure nearly zarth numbers.

Basically what made me want to stick with the game was the interactions I had with players. Getting the newbie to come along to smob, even though they probably slow it down, showing them the basics if they ask, etc. Probably helps them want to stick around. ¨

Also remember that while the PK is great on this game and definitely the thing that keeps experienced players coming back, the random exploration and killing strong mobs and Rp type stuff is all new and fun for new players too. If someone is looking for a pure PK/PvP experience in 2020, they're probably not looking for a mud. The PK is the endgame and its great, but help them to enjoy the other stuff too!

werf

Post by werf » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:30 pm

4 people online. Just saying.. this is what I'm talking about. It's not about how to make the game better. It's how do we attract new people. People that aren't already playing. We have a finite number of people left, and it's diminishing. There will not be anyone to pk against or smob with soon. You do the math. How do we get new players. That's the whole concept behind this post, and it's gone off in wierd directions ever since. Just figured I'd refocus and bring it home while we still have people around to read this :D

sevas

Post by sevas » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:50 pm

Superbowl just started, lots of partys going on. I am sure that has an impact but yah, tbh from my pov playerbase has been in a decline ever since Seandar was nuked, then EF and the SW got changed and SS made human. Numbers have been in decline at a steady pace. Not dissing the imms they did what they thought necessary I am sure. But it seems like it was all negative impact.

I log on at different times and hardly ever see any SS on and very few DS now days. I know people keep saying SW pk is dead but thats because no one goes there now. Most SS even go N to pk with LS and I know several people who refuse to log SS because of sameside pk.

If we ever get the reversion maybe things will change.Who knows.
Not sure there is a way to increase it. I have talked to several people who are just plain done for numerous reasons.

Shiva

Post by Shiva » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:35 pm

Skurk wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:39 am
Other things that I've appreciated was when Shiva was running smobbing in the mornings (eutz) which gave something at least slightly fun to do during the low numbers hours. I also had fun when Erulisse or Draz would invite me along to do random things. A bunch of other people did too but thats off the top of my head.
Unfortunately between burning myself out on heralds and the lack of pk availablity during Aus times I haven't been around. If you do play and want to herald pm me and ill join if I can.

That said, the people doing stuff get burned out because most players are passengers and it would be awesome to see others try leading groups etc.

Edit - Dont be afraid to try leading groups as a player who isnt used to it. If you dont know a spam or exactly where to go for the next herald or smob point in a chain chances are someone in your group will and if not its going to be a learning experience for everyone. Learning things like iomm/jafar only happens through doing and we all sucked at leading those places in the beginning, hell i still do!