discord

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Lord Pe

discord

Post by Lord Pe » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:39 pm

Seems to be causing more problems than it is worth anymore. I constantly hear how people take stuff from in-game and let it just fester and multiply on Discord. I've left the thing almost a month ago because I saw how toxic it was becoming. I guess my post here is to feel out how everyone else feels about it in a discussion that doesn't happen on the app. Personally it could go away and I would be fine but that's just me.

Sanguine

Re: discord

Post by Sanguine » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:19 pm

I pop in and out but largely it's too annoying and toxic for me to be bothered with. There's no getting rid of it and no need to, similar statements have been made about forums; it is what it is. I think the nature of "this side vs that side," and people's egos, lack of common goal (though I wish everyone's common goal was to foster the enjoyment of the MUD for OTHERS, not just SELF), the amount of time invested by players and entitlements they believe in, how close knit and personal this playerbase is, etc., turns our community into a weird hybrid of your typical family with typical familial problems as well as one with internet troll types.

Some online communities are super enjoyable with very little toxicity, others are super toxic. Ours falls somewhere in-between. It's just WoTMUD, love it or hate it or learn to get on alongside it.

Woden

Post by Woden » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:38 pm

It has it's pros and cons, but all in all, I think it's beneficial for the game. I could write many paragraphs with my thoughts on it, but I'll shorten it to this: It makes player communication easier, which overall, is a good thing.

hasp

Post by hasp » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:43 pm

I would have never stayed without being able to ask questions. That is what it is best for. To help new people learn imo.

Benito

Post by Benito » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:09 pm

It lets me stay in touch with people and hear what's going on even when I can't log on to the game (at work, traveling, on the toilet, etc.) I like that.

Taziar

Post by Taziar » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:57 am

helpdesk and wiki channels have helped many, many people in a real time way that forums or mails just can't accomplish. The ability for people to post screen shots when having zMUD issues helped me, help them in drastically better ways than without.

My best advice I could give anyone who is having trouble with anything:

Try and focus on what you can control and make the best decisions for yourself based on that introspection.

Taziar

Jaster

Post by Jaster » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:34 am

Lets go back to Skype.
Lets go back to ICQ.
Lets go back to AIM.
Lets go back to the Phone.
Technology is the devil. Lets go back to Atari.

Skurk

Post by Skurk » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:34 am

Eh, people are gonna have problems with each other and discord is just where they communicate them. If it wasn't there it would be soewhere else right?

Taziar

Post by Taziar » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:11 am

Jaster wrote:Lets go back to Atari.
Only one button... oh my macros!

Firimei Lang

Post by Firimei Lang » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:28 pm

Taziar wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:11 am
Jaster wrote:Lets go back to Atari.
Only one button... oh my macros!