Giving MCs some love

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Atienne

Re: Giving MCs some love

Post by Atienne » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:29 pm

Mronz wrote:One reason this idea could be explored, simple fact, what if someone doesn't want to play a female character? Perhaps there are some guys on wotmud, that actually want to play... a guy.

We've pointed out repeatedly,
Tower, Wisdom, Kin, and Damane….
That is four options for people wishing to play a channeling female, but other than going to DS, we really don't have a route for a male to play.

I honestly wouldn't have an issue, if the mud timeline finally advanced a bit more, and yes, create the black tower, upon clanning no taint, since it was cleansed, . Model it partially off the White, making it difficult/time consuming to advance, but you wouldn't have to waste your life curtsying, and acting like you're a girl.
Taint has not been cleansed. Black Tower would result in an influx of new male channelers. With all the options for females and the smaller playerbase it is already hard enough with female channelers up north. Everyone would switch due to better warrior practices too? I think you would see plenty of Asha’man or whatever they called themselves and it wouldn’t be fun for darkside.

Remove the hit point cap for non-remort male channelers, maybe a strength and constitution buff when statting, heck maybe even change it to 2 pracs per warrior practice. Now that would be interesting, and as soon as you start channeling you will probably be outed and hunted. All those bonuses would more than make up for the dangerous double life a male channeler plays.

Mronz

Post by Mronz » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:04 am

What do you mean the taint has not been cleansed?
Rand and Nineve accomplished this using the Access Keys, in Winter's Heart?

We keep talking like, if suddenly people can now create black tower chars, the same number of FCS will still be active, plus a bunch of active Black tower folk... I would imagine, the white tower might see a decrease in playability, when those wishing to play guys, or those wanting to try something new, did so.

It's not like I can be pking on my WT alt, while also Pking on my black. I think it would simply offer choice.

Ashlee

Post by Ashlee » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:38 am

Mronz wrote:What do you mean the taint has not been cleansed?

We keep talking like, if suddenly people can now create black tower chars, the same number of FCS will still be active, plus a bunch of active Black tower folk... I would imagine, the white tower might see a decrease in playability, when those wishing to play guys, or those wanting to try something new, did so.

It's not like I can be pking on my WT alt, while also Pking on my black. I think it would simply offer choice.
I think what Atienne os saying is that the chronology of the game is somewhere before book 3 ( as the Stone has not fallen), so the taint has not yet been cleansed.

You do have a fair point about flooding n pk with new mcs. Even after White Leopards, I havent seen a huge influx of channies up north, though I play sporadicly now, so I may be missing it.

Atienne

Post by Atienne » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:47 am

Ashlee wrote:
Mronz wrote:What do you mean the taint has not been cleansed?

I think what Atienne os saying is that the chronology of the game is somewhere before book 3 ( as the Stone has not fallen), so the taint has not yet been cleansed.

You do have a fair point about flooding n pk with new mcs. Even after White Leopards, I havent seen a huge influx of channies up north, though I play sporadicly now, so I may be missing it.
It can get pretty stupid sometimes but it is not always like that thankfully.

Maghus

Post by Maghus » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:26 am

As an MC I could use some love.
Last edited by Maghus on Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Melat

Post by Melat » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:50 pm

Well if the Stone fell, I'll be looking for new employment. Hurry up, Dragon Reborn, and try me.

Callesa

Post by Callesa » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:12 am

I know I am a bit late, but still... Based on my experiments with MC and taking into account the context, I really think the main huge problem are the hit points.

-The Taint is ok. It is the basic part of this class. If you want a full value FC, you need to invest a lot of time. When you really play your MC, you don't get slowed down by wilder weaves, ranking, shawling,etc., but you have an expiration date. By playing more wisely (=if you get somehow the information about the relatively safe amount of channeling), you can prolong your MC life. But it is still more about intensity, not long life.

-The clanning problem is partially ok, partially absurd. I'd find it more logical, if an unknown MC could do almost anything as long as they manage to hide (=not use Saidin publicly and not get noticeably tainted), but be really punished for discovery. Just like in the books. You live your normal life, and one day, everything is suddenly gone and your former friends want your death.

-No, I don't think the Black Tower as in the books or Saidin cleansing makes any sense in our mirror of the Wheel. However, it should be possible to get the basic info about playing an MC in game, not just from ooc friends or randomly found ancient websites, where people weren't that careful. This is what really disappointed me about trying an MC. Given the difficulty of statting,exping,playing, I really don't have the time and patience to reinvent the wheel on twenty throw away characters. And there is no in game info. You know, something like an old MC living in a Stedding, who would give basic advice, and you would have to be careful to not be seen going there. Something like that. It could be a quest chain teaching the basics (and making you risk real IC discovery).

-The HP is the problem, because it not only makes your life extremely difficult. But it is impossible to play with any other person without being discovered really fast. Either they guess it, seeing how paper based you are. Or if they don't, they'll realise it after an hour long lecture on rogue stats, at the end of which you still keep your "crappy rogue". (Some clans are now even putting this in their requirements. like "we don't take MCs and we'll know, because you will be suspiciously weak". WTH? This is openly presented as a proof, while proving many other things are almost impossible in the game).

So yes, MCs should be relatively strong and short lived, the opposite of FCs. But their short life should be intense and it should be possible to play an MC by actually playing the character. Not by asking ooc for info, hunting exp scalps on an alt, getting all eq on an alt (because even a simple smob group would out you immediately), and so on.

Many times and in many forms, we've seen the imms working on making us play the game, not play the forums, nor play the ooc "i can tell you on skype cause we're friends since forever" game. Except for the MCs.

Atlan

Post by Atlan » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:32 pm

I really like the idea of unaffiliated MC getting old hps back. It's not like there was a unmanageable amount of murdering mc back then, and it allowed people to actually blend in with the general population.

Once you become known df you could be capped at 280.

Octavio

Post by Octavio » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:12 pm

Just catching up on old threads. Has any of this changed since the game is moving forward? Still not caught up on all the new Black Tower stuff.