My cat has kidney failure

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Maghus

My cat has kidney failure

Post by Maghus » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:58 pm

I did all the stuff they said I could on the internet. I did blood tests and am giving him at home subcutaneous fluids. But he still can't walk. It's like his back legs won't work :( He won't eat and im force feeding him the science diet brand kidney diet soft food, but he still cant walk after 5 days. He's meowing but its all raspy and sounds bad. I don't know if he can recover or if I should euthanize him. He's been with me for 13 years and kept me from losing my mind. I don't know what to do.

Asandra

Re: My cat has kidney failure

Post by Asandra » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:18 pm

Oh Maghus!
I feel your pain. We have 2 cats and they are AWESOME.

If you haven't already, I would call the animal brigade (if such a thing exists where you live) or bring your cat to the vet to discuss the options.
The internet is one thing, a professional diagnosing your cat in person is something else.

I hope your cat will get over this, else do always remember that you gave your cat the best possible time!

Maghus

Post by Maghus » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:22 pm

Asandra wrote:Oh Maghus!
I feel your pain. We have 2 cats and they are AWESOME.

If you haven't already, I would call the animal brigade (if such a thing exists where you live) or bring your cat to the vet to discuss the options.
The internet is one thing, a professional diagnosing your cat in person is something else.

I hope your cat will get over this, else do always remember that you gave your cat the best possible time!
sorry if I gave you the wrong impression. I already went to the vet. now i have him at home for his last days, I just dont know when to end it...
Last edited by Maghus on Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tandrael

Post by Tandrael » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:32 pm

I’m very sorry for the situation you and your kitty are in. I implore you to do the humane thing, and end the pain. Losing a pet is a terrible feeling, and it’s so hard to let go. If you prolong the pain, however, you’ll end up hating yourself for it.

micha

Post by micha » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:36 pm

I'm sorry :( at that point it might be in a lot of pain and best to take it to the vet and possibly euthanize before it meets a terrible end. :cry: Do the right thing early to avoid that situation. You've done a great job by the sounds of it up unto this point, and now it's just time to see what the vet thinks is best to do and go from there, be strong either way. It's comforting to see how much you care for the cat, it's obvious in the post.

Maghus

Post by Maghus » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:56 pm

thanks for all of your advice.

isabel

Post by isabel » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:06 am

So very sorry to hear this maghus :( :( I know you must have tried everything possible. My friend lost her cat recently to cancer and the decision at the end was incredibly difficult..take the time you need also.. lots of hugs! She and her partner spent the final days just being the cat, recording and taking pictures and also setting up a space with her things. She told me that cleaning the house etc after was so hard because of all the ten thousand memories of where their cat would be.

I wish we didn't have to deal with this level of pain around the beings we love :(

Maghus

Post by Maghus » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:36 am

isabel wrote:So very sorry to hear this maghus :( :( I know you must have tried everything possible. My friend lost her cat recently to cancer and the decision at the end was incredibly difficult..take the time you need also.. lots of hugs! She and her partner spent the final days just being the cat, recording and taking pictures and also setting up a space with her things. She told me that cleaning the house etc after was so hard because of all the ten thousand memories of where their cat would be.

I wish we didn't have to deal with this level of pain around the beings we love :(
My cat just passed this morning. When I came home from work he was lying inside my front door like he was waiting for me. I am dealing with it alot better than I thought I would. I do not like to impose sadness on other people usually so I never thought I would make a post like this to strangers. But the truth is I don't really have many friends and I had to get it out somewhere. I think that helped me work through it the end, so thanks! I just want to say one thing. Mocha helped me through my life in very tough times. Through a divorce and a drinking problem. I know that I would of never survived if I didn't have someone that depended on me, and a responsibility that made me take care of myself more than I would of, for his sake. I am very proud of him, and he did a very good job with his life.

Tandrael

Post by Tandrael » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:57 am

Very sorry for your loss.

Nettle

Post by Nettle » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:53 pm

Pets are such a blessing, their flames burn so bright and brief. I'm sorry for your loss.