A Challenge For Someone Smarter Than Me

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Kunitz

A Challenge For Someone Smarter Than Me

Post by Kunitz » Sun May 05, 2019 6:03 pm

I have started looking into playing the WoT RPG and actually convinced my wife and a friend to play with me. One of my friends is really interested in being an initiate and I am all for it, but I feel like the weave system in the game is garbage. I would REALLY like to build a new weave system based on how it works here. I think it could transition well, just don't have the time to build it out for a D20 system..

Has anyone done this and would like to share, or is anyone up for a challenge?

Penzei

Re: A Challenge For Someone Smarter Than Me

Post by Penzei » Sun May 05, 2019 8:43 pm

If D20 then borrow rules from one of the DnD systems ?

Reyne

Post by Reyne » Mon May 06, 2019 11:50 am

If I remember right it's more or less already based on 3.5e rules and just kind of pulled from the existing magic system (have to memorize weaves before hand like a wizard preparing spells).

I'd suggest replacing mana with an SP pool to represent how much effort is putting in (the lower the pool goes the more tired/strained they are, maybe higher odds to fail the lower it goes and there are options for overchanneling?) and going through and deciding how 'difficult' each weave would be in terms of amount of SPs it takes and how much time slash combat rounds it would take to complete the weave. I'm sure someone on Reddit has done this already :D Might be fun, not sure if I have the time this week though.

Also look into how the Warlock was structured from 3.5e - there were no spell slots and all casting was done at will:
Invocations: A warlock does not prepare or cast spells as other wielders of arcane magic do. Instead, he possesses a repertoire of attacks, defenses, and abilities known as invocations that require him to focus the wild energy that suffuses his soul. A warlock can use any invocation he knows at will, with the following qualifications:

A warlock's invocations are spell-like abilities; using an invocation is therefore a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity. An invocation can be disrupted, just as a spell can be ruined during casting. A warlock is entitled to a Concentration check to successfully use an invocation if he is hit by an attack while invoking, just as a spellcaster would be. A warlock can choose to use an invocation defensively, by making a successful Concentration check, to avoid provoking attacks of opportunity.
Then replace the warlock/eldritch invocations and cantrips with the weaves. Seems a bit more like how a channeler would feel except for I think the warlock stuff is all instant cast which you'd need to adjust as well. Not sure if the existing WoT RPG lays out how long it takes in time / combat rounds to complete each weave.

Nettle

Post by Nettle » Mon May 13, 2019 3:24 pm

I'd clone a sorcerer class from D&D or Pathfinder. They don't need to memorize spells, can cast whatever you know how to, but draw energy from a finite pool each day/scene/whatever time increment you choose.