WoT Bookclub

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
segioda

WoT Bookclub

Post by segioda » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:03 pm

I've just started doing a re-read (14 pages in) and I already want to talk about Wheel of Time non-stop, all the time. Anyone want to read along with me? :)

avail

Re: WoT Bookclub

Post by avail » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:29 am

I just started again a couple months ago. I only do about a chapter a day. I just started book 7 though

Mronz

Post by Mronz » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:37 pm

LOL, we are all so alike...
I started mine about a month back, read books 1-3, and about to start 4.
I did pretty good, I only had to skip forward, to pass over the tinker camp bits, other than that, I'm loving the reread!

Ashlee

Post by Ashlee » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:30 pm

I’m about to start my re-read!

Nettle

Post by Nettle » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:22 am

I think if I were to reread the books (again) I'd go 1-7, last 200 pages of Winter's Heart, last 300 pages of Knife of Dreams, and then the last 3 books. Skip Path of Daggers and Crossroads of Failure entirely. Maybe not PoD, but I can't remember what happened in that book, so I'm gonna assume nothing happened. 1-6 is solid. Could probably just do last 200 of Crown of Swords too. Streamline the process a bit. *nod self*

Skurk

Post by Skurk » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:36 am

Just started a reread too, on book 2 atm. Man it's weird knowing what's happening in the first book honestly haha

segioda

Post by segioda » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:16 am

I'm up to Book One, Chapter 6 (no spoilers)

I'm having a little bookclub with my siblings. We have all read it before, but it's been a few years. Talking to them is making me realise how deeply ingrained the Wheel of Time and Randland is in me compared to them because of Wotmud. In the first few chapters the book mentions the cities of Baerlon and Caemlyn, which my siblings vaguely remembered. And yet I'm like...I've BEEN there. I've lived there. When the book mentions the Westwood and the Misty Mountains, it's not just words on the page. I have memories of being in those places. Not necessarily visual memories or images, but a feeling of a place and time, and maybe a sense of exploration or discovery or danger. It's a great feeling, but with a slightly sad nostalgic twist. I wish I could read it all again for the first time.

One of the things I'm loving most about the re-read (and I'm only six chapters in) is the narrative perspective. We see Egwene from Rand's point of view, and then later we get to see Rand from Egwene's point of view. It's a fun way to understand character motivation. I know Nynaeve is a polarising character but I always loved the comedy of her internal dialogue and I'm really looking forward to it.

And of course, what we all know. The world building is exceptional. In the middle books this gets cumbersome, but the introduction to Emond's Field, and the lore of this world (the fear and ignorance of common people for Aes Sedai, the Dragon, etc) is delightful.

I have to say, I'm already impressed by the writing of Wotmud in comparison and the faithful interpretation of places and objects from the books. I'll try to remember to find the description of Tam's heron-marked sword for y'all, but just from that passage there are a few items in Wotmud that make reference - heron-marked variations obviously, but also plain slightly curved blades and ring quilloned swords. It was a fun little easter egg for me.

Perrin is already boring.

Maghus

Post by Maghus » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:28 pm

last book of the mistborn series is supposed to come out this year. i cant wait. also, am waiting for the next book of stormlight archives.

Skurk

Post by Skurk » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:13 pm

Yeah I actually really liked the stormlight archives, I didn't expect to. Mistborn was a bit eh for me, dunno why. Nothing compares to WoT for me though, probably due to the age I read it. The reread is going well but uhh I was way more patient when I was younger. These days I just want mat to grow up :lol: :lol:

Gretchen

Post by Gretchen » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:37 am

just read the name of the wind and wise mans fears by patrick rofus (really really good but the guy takes decades to write books so we are stuck waiting for number 3 )

then moved on to the gentlemen bastard trillogy by by scott lynch (first book was amazing second book was good book 3 was a bit meh )

and then read the first 3 books of the black prism by brent weeks curently on book 4 atm (really origional magic system chars that you will love i really like this guys style of writing )