Mangler's awesome book thread.

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
lolita

Re: Mangler's awesome book thread.

Post by lolita » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:52 am

I read the first book of Kingkiller and I thought it was kinda weird insofar as like, the hero's pursuit of money sorta defines his actions all book long.

I just finished The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. LeGuin which was real rad classic sci-fi.

Before that I read Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy which juxtaposed dark/intense/morbid and flowery/idyllic real well. The monologues are excellent.

Think I'm going to start The Idiot by Dostoyevsky next. I really liked Brothers Karamazov.

Astolfo

Post by Astolfo » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:43 pm

Just read Around The World In 80 Days by Julies Verne for the first time in years. Fun, quick read.
Not sure what else I'll read as I wait.

Darchei

Post by Darchei » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:05 am

I re-read Robin Hobbs Assassins quest books and then got the next ones along. I am enjoying them so much.
I couldn't get into the Forest Mage ones though.
Also reading Hary Potter on the sly..shush. I got them for my son honestly..

Spruce

Post by Spruce » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:09 am

Currently reading The Painted Man, by Peter V Barret. Excellent so far. Was almost turned off by the cover - looked post apocalyptic, more modernist but the storyline was not. just bought 2 and 3 today.

Have recently read Rothfus' first two - They are good. I agree re his motivation being money for the first one and on reflection, a good editor might have turned that around. Still, the style and basis of the stories is excellent. Whether it is up there with the best will be entirely decided by the third book. the bckground and setting is fantastic but Rothfus tends to steer very clear of the epic saga style events even though he aludes to them constantly as background - ie. they've already been done and this is about motivation. It makes me think there are countless saga stories that could dovetail in, but not in this series.

is there a link to the previous Mangler's awesome book thread anywhere because there was some great stuff there.

That said... and not in the Fantasy genre - John Steinbeck - East of Eden - awesome epic historical fiction, Canary Row, awesome character profiling and colourful setting desc etc.

I like to read books that show style and technique as per Mangler's post - as a writer myself, these are excellent for learning and enjoyment.

Jomin

Post by Jomin » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:02 am

@Naomi: Once you've finished The Dresden Files you might like to try the Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne featuring Atticus O’Sullivan as aforesaid (currently the last one) Druid - now, that's someone who's really got a good grip on his staff! :)

@Darchei: Have you read The Rain Wild Chronicles - that is the latest series in the same world IIRC?

Itesh

Post by Itesh » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:27 am

The Book of Strange New Things, currently.

Lenara

Post by Lenara » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:22 am

I was reading those painted man books. I don't remember exactly what point I got put off but even though the first book was quite a page turner for me, it was book 2 or 3 where I was like urgh so done, gimme something else to read and I gave it up without finishing it (shows how much of an impact it made that I dont even remember which book it was lol)

Mangler

Post by Mangler » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:09 pm

The Painted Man books were enjoyable pulpy to start as Lenara said. I had huge issues with the writing of the women though, just struck me as really bad. Maybe some women can tell me I'm wrong :) Also the pace really let up.

@Itesh - let me know what you think of that, I'd be interested to see how someone else enjoyed it!

Rainwild chronicles - I was a bit let down by this. It definitely felt like trying to write a YA style series within the existing world, in doing so it seemed to miss out on some of the grittier aspects and realism of that world in my view. I just didn't love it. Thankfully 'Fool's Assassin' which is the first of the new Fitz trilogy was absolutely fantastic.

I just finished the "Emperor of Thorns," the third book of 'Broken Empire' trilogy by Mark Lawrence. If you like grimdark it's definitely worth a read. I wasn't sure as I read the first book whether it revelled a little too much in the grim or not, but glad I stuck with it.

Kordin

Post by Kordin » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:38 am

The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers

Emirala

Post by Emirala » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:58 pm

Jomin wrote:@Naomi: Once you've finished The Dresden Files you might like to try the Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne featuring Atticus O’Sullivan as aforesaid (currently the last one) Druid - now, that's someone who's really got a good grip on his staff! :)

@Darchei: Have you read The Rain Wild Chronicles - that is the latest series in the same world IIRC?
Iron Druid helped me get through my Dresden withdrawals.
Last edited by Emirala on Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.