Suggestion for Inns

... sit down, kick back and relax, and talk about anything that doesn't belong on one of the other forums.
Olyvander

Suggestion for Inns

Post by Olyvander » Sun May 05, 2024 11:22 pm

Something which would be extremely helpful for a player like me would be if a human could go to an inn, find the innkeeper, tell him something to view a list of all the other inns in the world, select a specific inn, and ask for a list of items stored remotely to allow transactions for both withdrawing and depositing everything stored everywhere.

There could be an additional golden cost for these transactions associated with an RP "courier fee" for moving the stuff around, perhaps. Maybe even a relatively high fee could be leveraged, if means are needed to bleed gold from the economy to stimulate production.

If a player were to withdraw items remotely, maybe the innkeeper could give the human a bunch of receipts for the gear rather than immediately handing it over. Then the player could turn in the receipts to receive the items after a few or several minutes, similar to mending at a smith, to implement a brief waiting period while the items are en route.

If a player were to deposit items remotely, perhaps the innkeeper could perform several emotes describing his actions to incur the waiting period, as he's taking notes, summoning a courier, bustling about the inn, and then removing from your inventory and handing off the deposited items (up to 10 at a time assuming there were no items previously stored remotely) to a dispatch rider.

So there would be no instant gratification and couriers could be expensive, but the player could withdraw or deposit gear faster than travelling around the map. (Though all fast travel methods are appreciated.)

Weir

Re: Suggestion for Inns

Post by Weir » Mon May 06, 2024 12:40 am

Something like this would take a considerable amount of coding. Seems unlikely to have a coding focus on something like this vs other things, right now.

People have designed tracking scripts to help keep track of what you have in various inns, but it requires you to visit the inns to add it to the record.

Back in the day with the original forums, character inn inventory tied into the forums and you could view it there, but this will never happen again for security reasons.

suern

Post by suern » Mon May 06, 2024 7:29 am

If you’re using mudlet adael has a rent script that does this

Mer

Post by Mer » Mon May 06, 2024 10:06 am

There's a CMUD one by Track as well, though something bugs it out slightly.

jeremy

Post by jeremy » Mon May 06, 2024 12:31 pm

I have one for zMUD. Love me some zMUD

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Mon May 06, 2024 1:50 pm

We don't have access to the code related to rents and renting and according to Flash it's pretty complicated, so the odds of him wanting to tinker with it are slim. Ideally, we want to move to a system where everyone has X amount of rent slots that are accessible from all rents, just because some people are such hoarders they put dragons to shame, but that's on the backburner for the exact same reason.

Frey

Post by Frey » Mon May 06, 2024 3:16 pm

The Mudlet script for tracking rents is pretty amazing. Once you have your rents in there (just type 'score' then list at every rent on each char the first time), then any time you're ever withdrawing or depositing at a rent type list afterward, it will update.

I think the command to get it is something like 'wotpack install rents'

azareth

Post by azareth » Mon May 06, 2024 8:26 pm

Guilty of being a hoarder here and this is going to be a…what’s the opposite of self-serving…comment. I think we should not consolidate rents. The danger of getting on my storage alt and especially having to go between rents, possibly getting intercepted by DS or a murderer, should remain in the game.