A frightened Imperial Guard approaches..

... Tales and announcements of the glory of the Corenne, oathbreakers and the Empress, may she live forever!
Atwill

A frightened Imperial Guard approaches..

Post by Atwill » Thu May 27, 2021 5:48 pm

The wind whirled through the trees as the young Imperial guard stood on duty, lazily stretching stiff limbs, facing yet another monotonous day of work. Suddenly, the calm was broken by the sound of hooves pounding on the cobblestone path. A grief stricken face was revealed as the rider wheeled his horse to a stop and dismounted. Running towards the guard-house he shouted “Bad news! Bad news! They’ve returned!”
The obviously out of shape man finally reached the guard and began to pant once again, “They’ve returned!”. The young guard with a sharp response promptly questioned the troubled man. “Who has returned?”.
“I was fishing off the coast and I saw the ship approaching, the sails were black as night, and the emblem, while faded, was unmistakable.” Then with nervously shifting eyes he whispered, “The Atwill clan has returned”.
The guard while young had heard the stories as a child and briefly remembered passing through a small village on the outskirts of Seandar that had been raided by the traitorous pirates. Stories of Honored Morat’torm and Morat’raken who had paid the ultimate price in defending the Empire against the raids flashed into his mind. The death tolls astounding and the tactics employed became widely known as some of the most barbarous in the land. At the height of their power the island of Jafar had became their headquarters, with stashes of equipment and fresh men continuing to pour into their hands. And then suddenly, they vanished. Disappeared from the face of the land without a trace. And now has this insurrection, 14 years passed, returned for more?
Breaking away, the fat man turned towards his horse and wheezed “I’ve got to warn other stations, we have became lax in the land and we must protect our young”.
As he turned the young guard was not too surprised to see the large brown stain that had appeared on the seat of the man’s britches. Understandable, he thought to himself.