A spider weaves its web

... great tales of bravery, treaty announcements, marriages, events, statements of intent, stories, poems, song, rhyme, essays.... and any other announcements.
Vladd

A spider weaves its web

Post by Vladd » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:51 am

Vladd pulled his hood down a little further over his face, obscuring his features. It was well past midnight, yet even at this hour the streets were brimming with life. Tar Valon never seemed to sleep. He stood in an alleyway in the southern section of the city, leaning nonchalantly against a stone wall near its entrance. A single lonely butchers shop graced the interior of the alley, locked up tight for the night. The perfect place to wait. You would have to be inches from him to see him in this light.

"Where are you then," he thought to himself, his eyes hardening. For three nights he had been tracking a certain Brown Ajah witch. She was a careless thing, this witch. Apparently she had some interest in the South Harbor, for every night around midnight she left the nest of vipers to the north and trekked down the stone streets to look out over the sea. Tonight however, she was late. And the longer Vladd waited, the more annoyed he grew. Growling low in his throat he pressed himself away from the wall and started forward, before stopping himself. "No, no," he said aloud. The old Hand of Light retreated a few steps and resumed his position against the cold stone, chuckling dryly to himself. "No, you will wait, there is still time, we'll bleed her slow, yes we will. Just be patient. Yes plenty of time," he croaked aloud. He began to hum a slow sad tune deep within his throat before quickly stopping himself. He continued to stare out of the mouth of the alley, waiting for his prey. The Creators work needed doing.

Another hour passed, then two, before she finally appeared. She walked slowly, as usual, just past the mouth of the alley before continuing south. He felt his body tense and begin to surge forward but he managed to wrestle himself back under control and regain his composure. "Such a naughty witch to make me wait so long." He thought, a grin spreading across his face. He slowly peeled away from the wall, only to attach to the adjacent one, and crept towards the mouth of the alley. The Spider peaked around the corner, before stepping out and shadowing the Brown as she walked her route. He walked slowly, matching her step for step. She was a good ten yards ahead. He walked as if he belonged there, he laughed quietly at a joke he once heard. He waved emphatically at people who weren't there. "What a nice coat you have madam," he thought at a woman while staring her in the eyes in passing. Her gaze quickly dropped and she broke out into a quick trot, causing Vladd to nearly pause in confusion. "Unfriendly people," he muttered. It was all about blending in.

Finally they reached the docks. She came to a stop before a large stone bench just off the main path. As was her habit, she stood a moment looking out to sea before taking a seat. Hands folded in her lap she continued to stare, clearly lost in thought. Vladd was once more lost deep within the shadows, staring towards the Aes Sedai. His lips parted and formed into a vicious smirk as he crept forward towards the Sedai.

==========================================================================================================================

The next day the Brown was found hanging in a docks storehouse with a pool of blood on the ground beneath her. A dagger was driven into her chest with a note tied by twine, wrapped around its handle. For days the White Tower did not discuss the terribly kept secret of the note with the citizens of Tar Valon. News had already spread like wildfire about the "murder" of the Aes Sedai. And within days more notes were turning up. Some pinned to doors. Some found upon the ground. Some were even reportedly slipped into random peoples pockets only to be found later. Curiously they all read the same thing.

"I've been asleep a long time. Some of you do not know me. For those witches and lapdogs who do not, I assure you, you will learn soon enough. And those who have forgotten will remember. You use the Creators power as you please. You manipulate, control, bully, and murder as you please. You walk hand in hand with the Dark One. You are all tainted. I exist to remove your taint from the world. And now I will take your lives, as I please."

"The Spider"