Update to blanket warrant rules

A place for Immortals of the game to post changes in policy or other relevant announcements for the game.
Aureus

Update to blanket warrant rules

Post by Aureus » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:30 pm

Hi all,

We're updating the rules regarding blanket warrants to encourage a little more RP.

Why? We're doing this because we hear about confusion from players (especially newer ones) when warrants are issued without any interaction between the players.

What is a blanket warrant? It's a warrant that is issued without a player taking any action in violation of a clan's laws within that clan's borders. For example, a Child of Light warranting an Aes Sedai because she is a channeler, or a Seanchan warranting someone who refuses to sewar the Oaths, is a blanket warrant.

The new rules are:
  1. Issuing a "blanket warrant" requires you attempt to RP, in person, with the person first to give them an opportunity to understand the issue/conflict, and give them a chance to resolve it amicably.
  2. The only exception is for MCs, who can and should be warranted based on evidence of channeling.

Some examples (some real, some made up):

Example 1:
I'm a Seanchan who narrates for people to swear the Oaths or be warranted.

Analysis: We'd say this is not ok because it is not personalized interaction with a specific person, and also because it is not in-person.
Example 2:
I'm a Seanchan who finds a Gleeman in-person and demands they swear the Oaths or be warranted. They refuse.

Analysis: Great, warrant them.
Example 3:
I'm a Child of Light and see an Aes Sedai on who. I send her tells calling her a witch and then warrant her.

Analysis: We'd say this is not ok because it wasn't in person, and also because I didn't give her an opportunity to be tortured to death in Amador and respun without the ability to channel.
Example 4:
I'm a Child of Light who sees an Aes Sedai and say she's a witch. She keeps leaving the room and ignoring me before I tell her she must come to Amador to be burned at the stake and respun without the ability to channel. So I yell it instead. She ignores me.

Analysis: Great, warrant her. You tried to RP in person and resorted to yells when you couldn't continue in the same room.
Example 5:
I'm an Aes Sedai who locates a Dragonsworn, and suspects the Dragonsworn is a male channeler. I start to RP with them in their room about why the Dragonsworn are a menace to society and they must quit the organization. I notice they are wielding a dagger and suspect they're a sleep/stabber. I retreat several rooms and start interacting over yells instead. They refuse to leave the Dragonsworn.

Analysis: Great, you tried to RP in person but backed away a bit for your own safety and continued the RP over yells. Warrant them.
Example 6:
I'm a Seanchan who enters a zone and yells for people to swear the Oaths or be warranted. I know a Queen's Guard is in the zone and warrant them after no response.

Analysis: We'd say this is not ok because it wasn't personalized interaction, and you made no attempt to conduct RP in-person either.
Lastly, a reminder we will reward QPs for good RP logs! If you have good interactions related to blanket warrants, please post them in the RP forum.