FIXED: Affable broker not returning items

... post your favorite game bugs here for the coders' attention. Please, please, please, show the steps necessary to repeat the bug. Otherwise they can't be solved and they will be ignored...

Moderator: Aureus

glynn

FIXED: Affable broker not returning items

Post by glynn » Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:00 am

* HP:Healthy MV:Fresh >

An affable broker tells you 'If I'm out of stock, I will return the items you used for payment to. <-------------OH REALY!?
you, of course.'

say buy vial with red liquid

An affable broker smiles at you.

You say 'buy vial with red liquid'

An affable broker tells you 'I will also let you know when the next item up for sale was deposited
if you ask about "next sale".'
An affable broker puts a Kandori snowflake necklace in a small purse.
An affable broker says 'Let me see if that is in stock...'

(tic_timer): Estimated aggro pulse

An affable broker says 'I haven't received supplies.'
An affable broker bows before you.

sniff
You sniff sadly. *SNIFF*

(tic_timer): Estimated aggro pulse
inv
You are carrying:
a piece of white willow bark

say drop all please
You say 'drop all please'

stare
You stare at the sky.

stare
You stare at the sky.

Sarinda

Re: Affable broker not returning items

Post by Sarinda » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:21 am

It looks like you interrupted them? That might have been the problem.

Artorias

Post by Artorias » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:43 pm

I've had it happen to me at least 7 times in the past 2 months. Just last night actually. Gave him a cuff got 4 vials. Gave him a second cuff and he kept it while telling me "I haven't received supplies." No interuption, no moving, inv empty, nothing at all to stop him from giving the cuff back. He just doesn't take it back out the purse.

verne

Post by verne » Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:24 pm

the explanation mobol is still running, as he's still talking when you gave him the trinket. Mobs can run some types of mobol at the same time, (such as a herald mob that sends "rem banner" and "give pristine xxx" when it is handed a tattered banner) but a lot of mobol all over the mud is like this where if one stream of mobol is running then they are unable to register the next piece of mobol (such as a herald that cannot accept a scalp if its still talking after being given the first scalp).

In the case of the affable broker, it actually activates one piece of mobol when it is given an item, and then a separate piece of mobol when you tell it what kind of potion you want. Since it's a separate piece of mobol and not an inventory check, it doesnt actually know you gave the trinket to him because you did it while he was "busy" i.e. when he was in the middle of his speech mobol after being asked for help.

Thore

Post by Thore » Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:32 pm

Ugh. The above is such trash. Can MOBOL be updated to a new version somehow, or can coding prioritize upgrading MOBOL so it's not so awful to interact with? I'm sure it's just as bad for imms using it, but this happens so often and is really off-putting! It'd be a HUGE QOL upgrade..

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:42 pm

Thore wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:32 pm
Ugh. The above is such trash. Can MOBOL be updated to a new version somehow, or can coding prioritize upgrading MOBOL so it's not so awful to interact with? I'm sure it's just as bad for imms using it, but this happens so often and is really off-putting! It'd be a HUGE QOL upgrade..
You don't know the half of it. Korsik has a running gag of "reason #283 to hate mobol". He's not wrong. Mobol is intended for seeing someone arrive and greeting them. Doing a clan check and opening a door. Seeing an item turned in and awarding. We took it to the space age, but a lot of it is MacGyvering it with a rubber band, a paper clip and a piece of chewing gum. Sometimes it can't even do simple "if this AND that" functions.

The WoTmudder's guide to using mobol is like an Ogier mantra: don't be so hasty.

Thore

Post by Thore » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:00 pm

Elysia wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:42 pm
Thore wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:32 pm
You don't know the half of it. Korsik has a running gag of "reason #283 to hate mobol". He's not wrong. Mobol is intended for seeing someone arrive and greeting them. Doing a clan check and opening a door. Seeing an item turned in and awarding. We took it to the space age, but a lot of it is MacGyvering it with a rubber band, a paper clip and a piece of chewing gum. Sometimes it can't even do simple "if this AND that" functions.

The WoTmudder's guide to using mobol is like an Ogier mantra: don't be so hasty.
No, I get it. Wish I knew more - is it a CircleMUD relic? Was it custom built for WoTMUD back in the day? Do we have access to its' codebase, and if not, why not? I'm positive you guys have tried to figure it out or update it, but it's just a bummer that it seems untouchable.

Kiltwich

Post by Kiltwich » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:42 pm

verne wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:24 pm
Mobs can run some types of mobol at the same time, (such as a herald mob that sends "rem banner" and "give pristine xxx" when it is handed a tattered banner)
Not quite. Based on my observations, mobol is not limited by server tics in performing actions. It is one piece of mobol that does the remove banner followed by give banner {target}...followed by a wait command...followed by the talkish stuff. All one mobol activity.
similar for Kurch returning a scalp to you and forcing you to give it to the tactician clerk on the same pulse.
When any mobol activity is still going, no other mobol can activate (likely a safety feature to prevent mobol self-triggering infinite and infinitely multiplying loops of absolute madness/crashes)

That said, mobol can only start on a server tic. And mob can activate multiple pieces of mobol simultaneously, as the triggers cue up the list of mobol to be activated in the next available server tic.
This is also why you can give all.abseq to the clan retool mob and get a full set of retooled gear back, but if you split it out into 6 back-to-back commands over 6 consecutive server pulses, things will get screwed up and he only gives you the first item you gave him back.
While mobol *can* do things simultaneously, that doesn't mean it was intended to -- hence why armor/weapon mend receipts have code attached to prevent "give all.receipt armorer" from happening, and the weirdness that can occur when you give all.scalp herald.

verne wrote:
a lot of mobol all over the mud is like this where if one stream of mobol is running then they are unable to register the next piece of mobol (such as a herald that cannot accept a scalp if its still talking after being given the first scalp).

All mobol.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:22 pm

Kiltwich wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:42 pm
verne wrote:
Mobs can run some types of mobol at the same time, (such as a herald mob that sends "rem banner" and "give pristine xxx" when it is handed a tattered banner)
Not quite. Based on my observations, mobol is not limited by server tics in performing actions. It is one piece of mobol that does the remove banner followed by give banner {target}...followed by a wait command...followed by the talkish stuff. All one mobol activity.
similar for Kurch returning a scalp to you and forcing you to give it to the tactician clerk on the same pulse.
When any mobol activity is still going, no other mobol can activate (likely a safety feature to prevent mobol self-triggering infinite and infinitely multiplying loops of absolute madness/crashes)

That said, mobol can only start on a server tic. And mob can activate multiple pieces of mobol simultaneously, as the triggers cue up the list of mobol to be activated in the next available server tic.
This is also why you can give all.abseq to the clan retool mob and get a full set of retooled gear back, but if you split it out into 6 back-to-back commands over 6 consecutive server pulses, things will get screwed up and he only gives you the first item you gave him back.
While mobol *can* do things simultaneously, that doesn't mean it was intended to -- hence why armor/weapon mend receipts have code attached to prevent "give all.receipt armorer" from happening, and the weirdness that can occur when you give all.scalp herald.

verne wrote:
a lot of mobol all over the mud is like this where if one stream of mobol is running then they are unable to register the next piece of mobol (such as a herald that cannot accept a scalp if its still talking after being given the first scalp).

All mobol.
Yeah, no.

The retool mobol is one mobol block, with checks for all available retoolable items and then gives them back, which is an entirely different thing compared to brokers. Apples and strange fruits. Depending on the broker, it's 2-3 different blocks between receiving payment, player saying what they want to buy, checking stock etc.

Artorias

Post by Artorias » Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:01 pm

He wasn't running any mobol the times that he took my cuff. He literally just doesn't give it back. He wasn't talking, I never said trade or w.e I gave him 1 cuff got 4 vials. I then gave a second cuff 10 seconds later and he kept the 2nd one. You guys keep ignoring that he is keeping it even without us having him talk first.
Last edited by Artorias on Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.