The following commands are available: say help rpkudos, say help semote.

... post your favorite game bugs here for the coders' attention. Please, please, please, show the steps necessary to repeat the bug. Otherwise they can't be solved and they will be ignored...

Moderator: Aureus

Isolet

The following commands are available: say help rpkudos, say help semote.

Post by Isolet » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:55 pm

Can we get rid of this every time someone says 'help' please? It's pretty disruptive and I think there's gotta be a better place we can put it!

Elysia

Re: The following commands are available: say help rpkudos, say help semote.

Post by Elysia » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:12 pm

What alternative do you suggest? We can't make it command specific, otherwise you'll have to know the command you're asking help about. It also has to be intuitive for new players.

Nyro

Post by Nyro » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:19 pm

Could it be made to send a tell like criers do when you say quest? Then it limits room spam to just the person that says help.

Ominas

Post by Ominas » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:54 pm

Just make it respond to rpkudos. I agree it’s incredibly disruptive

Isolet

Post by Isolet » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:22 am

When most new players are saying help, I do not think they are asking for help with semotes or rpkudos. I think the best solution is to actually add those help files, and add them to the index when you type HELP

If that doesn't work, I think having a mob somewhere that exists purely for teaching people about misc commands like this would be a better solution. The current spam every time you say help is very heavy handed in my opinion!

If you are offering to help someone with a task TVCS, god help you, because the crier will jump in too.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:20 pm

Yeaaaah, so about that...

Tells: tried it when I made this or some other help file. That doesn't work for some mobs for whatever reason.

Typing help: not going to work here either, as that only works for a specific kind of mob, and normal mobs, including Argle the RPmob aren't it. And no, we are not going to put that type of mob at every location that needs a help file, because you're talking hundreds of rooms that all need to be done individually. Any change of fix would equal doing that to tons of rooms, and that is assuming all rooms have space, so not an option.

We're trying to go for consistency, in a game that refuses to be consistent (I wish I was joking), so some variety of the current setup has to be it. So "help xxx" or whatever. But what for the xxx...? Help mobol wouldn't be intuitive for new players. Help room doesn't cover it either.

I could at best put a mobol block in that catches the word help and other letters and then not fire, so only saying the word 'help' would trigger it. But then a newbie who says 'help please' or 'help good sir' would be SoL.

Ominas

Post by Ominas » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:56 pm

Maybe put a big sign at each crier stating that? Eventually older players would also get used to it and be able to guide the newbie. Just spitballing.

The constant spam from these mobs just really breaks the immersion and interferes even with basic roleplay.

And to clarify I’m not complaining about the change. I think it’s an awesome change. A great addition to the game and a welcome and necessary one. It just gets to be too much. I feel like I see it all day every day

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:02 pm

So, trying what coded helpfiles say:

* HP:Healthy SP:Bursting MV:Fresh > help command
COMMANDS

Syntax: commands

This will show a the list of commands that you currently have access to.
You can see help on each individual command by typing "help <command>",
without the quotes or brackets. Such as, help narrate.

SEE ALSO: Help

* HP:Healthy SP:Bursting MV:Fresh > commands

* HP:Healthy SP:Bursting MV:Fresh > The following commands are available to you:

I might just follow this example. Either using "help command" or "commands".

We'll have to find a place to jam that into the newbie arc etc.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:10 pm

I changed this for the Argle RPmobol and bellman mob. Not for mastermobs, because that requires changing 41 of them and that was a bit too much for tonight.