The Pattern thins...

... used for in character crossrace announcements, such as events, quests, storylines and so on...
Elysia

The Pattern thins...

Post by Elysia » Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:11 pm

A chill rose from the ground, permeating the air before getting carried away by the wind. The wind blew across the Braem Wood, carrying dead leaves in gusts and depositing them in bushes, gullies and heaps. Further, it blew across the great city of Caemlyn, turning breath to cold puffs, causing people to wrap their coats and cloaks closer around them. The wind was not the beginning, there are no beginning nor endings in the Wheel of Time, but it was a beginning. As the threads of the Pattern thin and different worlds are interwining, the dead, the cursed and the unnatural are lurking.

Around thirteen gravesites they have been seen, lurking, waiting until it is time to haunt. Only the most fearless have the courage to call out "Begone!" in order to send them back to their grave.

Tl;dr:

-There are thirteen gravesites or sites related to death (not deathtraps) for you to find.
-To see if you found the right room, say "begone!" Just your words will not faze the creatures, but draw them out. Once you kill the creature, it will count that room for the quest.
-These are not meant to be soloable. If you find you can solo these, report it or you entries will be voided if caught.
-You can summon the creature once per repop, to prevent farming. However, it will give a message if you found the right room, but need to wait until repop: "Things remain quiet. For now." That should allow you to come back later to make that room count.
-Anyone in the room on death will have their accomplishment recorded. This will matter because:

The first to find all 13 rooms can pick a rare of their choice, e.g. heron-marked longsword, shocklance, triple bladed, war maul etc.
Any who find all 13 rooms after the first become participants in a lotto, where the winner may pick between an egown, dragon belt, heron scabbard, lace shirt or ornate shirt.
Any who find one room will become participants in a lotto, where the winner may pick a craftable rare of their choice.

This is going in early so people in Australasia can participate too, and run until November 1st. Even if you're an adult with kids, that might afford you a chance to get in on this.

Elysia

Re: The Pattern thins...

Post by Elysia » Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:14 am

*evil laughter rings and then fades, perhaps to return next year*

:twisted:

I did it! I made a quest -not a single one of you- managed to complete! Which, you know, beats someone getting all locations in 3 hours before anyone else had a chance.

That also means I'll have to shift the rewards around to the highest, lotto the 2nd highest etc. I'll post a list of the tally later.

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:14 pm

Between various players, a total of 8/13 rooms were found. It looks like everyone was focussed on the central and western parts of the map, while these were scattered all over Randland (minus the isles and Seanchan). DS even managed to not find the second one up in the Blight. Although, admittedly, that one was a bit of a Trick, since I had changed the door to it to make it more accessible than usual. :lol:

Here's the final tally!

Mendoze 6

Draz 5
Eran 5

Baerand 4
Byrg 4
Dredge 4
Halthan 4
Ibelith 4
Nia 4
Vhalerie 4

Adael 3
Beary 3
Gully 3
Porka 3

Edit: several people are telling me they killed more, but the mobol didn't pick that up at all. I tested all those rooms and they worked. Maybe it's a mobol thing, maybe it's a mobol and groups thing, I don't know. Either way, this is not something that's fixable and everyone would have to deal with, so the only option is really to go with the results as they are.

Geom 2

Alyse 1
Arganda 1
Deckland 1
Edard 1
Erulisse 1
Honey 1
Melkor 1
Mephistopheles 1
Onta 1
Planchette 1
Revescaal 1

Since no one found the 13, I am going to treat it as "who found the most" for the winner, which would be Mendoze. Then a lottery for the Draz and Eran who were the runners up, and a lottery for all participants.

I'll write some mobol and do a public lottery during a time a few people are around, just for funsies.

I hope you had fun, even though this was harder than it looked!

Elysia

Post by Elysia » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:12 pm

I'd been trying to find Draz and Eran on to do the 2nd place lottery, but no such luck. So I roped in some DSers at THE WELL to show them a few trial runs of mobol as witnesses.

I had written two pieces of mobol to do the lottery, one took two names and picked between them:
You say 'start lottery Lightside Darkside'

* HP:Healthy SP:Bursting MV:Fresh >
A silver hawk says 'This is a lottery between lightside and darkside.'

A silver hawk says 'Rolling the proverbial dice...'
A hooved trolloc leaves west.

A silver hawk says 'And the winner is... darkside!'

And the true roll:
You gecho 'A drumroll echoes through the westlands...

* HP:Healthy SP:Bursting MV:Fresh > sa start lottery Draz Eran
You say 'start lottery Draz Eran'

A silver hawk says 'This is a lottery between draz and eran.'

A silver hawk says 'And the winner is... draz!'

Draz can pick from: " egown, dragon belt, heron scabbard, lace shirt or ornate shirt."

Since mobol can only do max 10 of these shuffle choices, I assigned a number to all participants and let it pick a number between 1-24:

As an illustration, which I also showed DS live at the well:

You say 'start lottery'

A silver hawk says 'This is a lottery between Eran 1, Baerand 2, Byrg 3, Dredge 4, Halthan 5, Ibelith 6, Nia 7, Vhalerie 8, Adael 9, Beary 10, Gully 11, Porka 12'

A silver hawk says 'Geom 13, Alyse 14, Arganda 15, Deckland 16, Edard 17, Erulisse 18, Honey 19, Melkor 20, Mephistopheles 21, Onta 22, Planchette 23, Revescaal 24.'

A silver hawk says 'And the winner is... 9!'

After which, a global drumroll and the REAL lottery.

You gecho 'Now for the REAL drumroll, which reverberates around the world...
'.

Trill says 'how many times adael gotta win!'

* HP:Healthy SP:Bursting MV:Fresh > 'start lottery
You say 'start lottery'

A silver hawk says 'This is a lottery between Eran 1, Baerand 2, Byrg 3, Dredge 4, Halthan 5, Ibelith 6, Nia 7, Vhalerie 8, Adael 9, Beary 10, Gully 11, Porka 12'

A silver hawk says 'Geom 13, Alyse 14, Arganda 15, Deckland 16, Edard 17, Erulisse 18, Honey 19, Melkor 20, Mephistopheles 21, Onta 22, Planchette 23, Revescaal 24.'

A silver hawk says 'And the winner is... 21!'

Mephistopheles had been assigned number 21, so... congratulations! Mephistopheles can "the winner may pick a craftable rare of their choice."