CLIENT: Dump of mudlet related things for y'all

The place with help files for new players, weapon and equipment stats and other pertinent information for players of all levels and experience.
Adael

Re: Dump of mudlet related things for y'all

Post by Adael » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:12 pm

There definitely is an in-game thing regarding auto-scan that does something along these lines I think.

But I'll try to look into this sometime in the next week. Might end up being a simple fix to exclude lines that start with a "*" symbol from trickling down the trigger train. re: only working with north, that might somehow have something to do because the MUD seems to process anything involving dirs. in the order "NESWUD".

Brandor

Post by Brandor » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:39 am

I went to download the new map dat file as the one I was using still have for example EF off to the right of the main road.

I tried to load another mapper file in and got told that the file was too new and I needed an updated mudlet.

Downloaded 3.16.1 (had been on a 3.15) and tried it again but it still said the dat file was too new (this time the message included 20 .. the old one used 19)

[ ERROR ] - Map file is too new, its file format (1008813135) is higher than this version of
Mudlet can handle (20)! The file is:
"....WoTMUDmap.dat".
[ INFO ] - You will need to upgrade your Mudlet or find a map file saved in an
older format.

What should I be trying next?

Thank you

Jomin

Post by Jomin » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:51 am

It doesn't sound like you have a valid map file, the first four bytes will be a 32-bit integer value (MS byte first) - I've just downloaded Adael's latest:

Code: Select all

-rw-r--r--  1 stephen-linux  stephen-linux  15596120  7 Feb  2018 WotMUDmap_Adael_2018_02_07.dat
-rw-r--r--  1 stephen-linux  stephen-linux  16638403  2 Jan 09:41 WotMUDmap_Adael_2019_01_02.dat
-rw-r--r--  1 stephen        users          16638403 12 Jan 12:12 WoTMUDmap_Adael_2019_01_12.dat
-rw-rw-r--  1 stephen-linux  users          23841014 20 May  2017 zMudMap_1.dat
[stephen@ripley ~/.config/mudlet/profiles/WoTMUD_Jomin/map]$ hexdump -C -n 16 WoTMUDmap_Adael_2019_01_12.dat
00000000  00 00 00 12 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 24 00 00 00 23  |...........$...#|
[stephen@ripley ~/.config/mudlet/profiles/WoTMUD_Jomin/map]$
and that looks like 12 in hex to me which is a version (16 X 1 + 2 =) 18 file...

Brandor

Post by Brandor » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:05 pm

Thanks Jomin!

I was just saving the link from the dat file instead of downloading the whole thing and using that map.

I now have city maps and one big wotmud map for the rest of the world.

If there are things still missing can we update them or just need to make note of them?

Thank you

Adael

Post by Adael » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:52 pm

If there's things missing, let me know and I can try to get around to adding them.

Off the top of my head, known missing rooms are: Falme, Seandar, barracks in cities, clan rooms, and part of Akkad.

Brandor

Post by Brandor » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:52 am

Adael wrote:If there's things missing, let me know and I can try to get around to adding them.

Off the top of my head, known missing rooms are: Falme, Seandar, barracks in cities, clan rooms, and part of Akkad.
There are a couple of rooms in Mayene - just to the west of the weaponsmiths the map shows a north option up to a T junction and the east west street but there are two rooms south from there as well.

Jomin

Post by Jomin » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:10 pm

Can I just point out that there is a little niggle I have with the current map?

This is that the speedwalk code is going to be thrown off because the map is pretty much all on one level - the A* code Mudlet uses to work out the best route uses the perceived distance to the target room in the heuristic to calculate how far an intermediate room is from that target - so will prefer rooms that are positioned closer to the wanted destination over ones that are less actual steps away if the latter are positioned away from the wanted rooms.

The bottom line is, the speedwalk code will produce better routes if the rooms are positioned in the map in a 3D arrangement that more closely represents their relative position compared to laying out all the rooms on different levels in separate groups on the same level - as seems to be the case currently. :ugeek:

Adael

Post by Adael » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:30 pm

After much personal anguish and loss of health due to some nasty oil slicks, Falme has been added to the map. I'll try to do Seandar sometime soon also.
Jomin wrote:Can I just point out that there is a little niggle I have with the current map?

This is that the speedwalk code is going to be thrown off because the map is pretty much all on one level - the A* code Mudlet uses to work out the best route uses the perceived distance to the target room in the heuristic to calculate how far an intermediate room is from that target - so will prefer rooms that are positioned closer to the wanted destination over ones that are less actual steps away if the latter are positioned away from the wanted rooms. Perceived distance as in x/y/z coordinates instead of actual # of node separations? So it may not particularly like regions such as, say, northern cut, where things are stretched along the y axis to match the longer path of the road e of TV?

The bottom line is, the speedwalk code will produce better routes if the rooms are positioned in the map in a 3D arrangement that more closely represents their relative position compared to laying out all the rooms on different levels in separate groups on the same level - as seems to be the case currently. :ugeek:
You might have to provide me an example of where exactly in the map one would do this, as I may be misunderstanding. Most things are on the same level because, well, that's how they are on the mud. You can travel from Falme to Baerlon to FD down Spine to Mayene without any net increase or decrease in your z value. I prefer to see all things on the same level if they actually are. It actually really bugs me atm that I had to move part of the Tear-Illian road one unit up the z axis, because otherwise I'd have had to stretch things around to make it not intersect part of south/southeast Lug :? (tbh something I will probably fix at some point).

I can't think of too many cases where one would be speedwalking enough rooms for it to matter, but then again I don't really use that function myself so idk :P .

Brandor

Post by Brandor » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:47 pm

Thanks for the ongoing updates!

When I did my last update I noticed that everything outside of the cities was one large WOTMud zone instead of a whole bunch of smaller ones (eg Drowned Lands).

Is that a permanent or a temporary feature as I have a lot less idea where I am now when I am following (although having the right rooms far outweighs that!) and the boundaries for zones re Where are a lot less clear...

Adael

Post by Adael » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:03 am

That is indeed permanent, how I've made it from the start. Again, much if this comes from my personal preference of preferring to see where things in the world lie in relation to each other (cities aside, as those would require a bit of stretching in some cases to fit around).

I'm open to suggestions on changes though if people feel strongly (e.g., I should probably add in markers for pk locations), or I could make slightly different versions of the map and have two or three or however many posted.

I have considered going through all the rooms to add info on what zone they are in, but that would probably require a partner to use 'where' to cross-reference the zones from the wiki. Currently sitting around 20k rooms atm, so doable but time consuming :P .