Class Log: Exploring the White Tower's Response to Hawkwing

A forum to leave your class logs, reports and any other information that belongs in the greatest library in the world.
Aelrena

Class Log: Exploring the White Tower's Response to Hawkwing

Post by Aelrena » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:50 pm

Summary: A log of Aelrena's class on Hawkwing's Era and the White Tower response of the time

Aelrena says 'Once Nymyrya returns, we shall begin. I believe she is attempting to gather Odina's gear for her.'

Nymyrya closes the door.

Nymyrya curtseys gracefully.

Nymyrya says 'Beg your pardon.'

Nymyrya sits down.

Catisune mutters something underneath her breath as she flips her embroidery hoop over.

Aelrena nods in agreement.

Aelrena says 'Now.'

Aelrena says 'I believe it likely that our class will be interupted, Nymyrya would you keep an eye on the door for us?'

Nymyrya nods at Aelrena.

Nymyrya says 'Absolutely.'

Aelrena says 'Should someone hostile enter, I believe that 5 women who can channel should be... quite a deterrent. '

Aelrena says 'But, constant vigilance.'

Aelrena smiles happily.

Aelrena moves to stand at the front of the classroom, her Accepted dress pressed and her hair pulled into an elaborate knot at the back of her head. She announces, “I believe this is everyone, it’s time to begin.”, her voice soft yet clearly heard throughout the room.

Catisune observes from the back of the room with her ankles crossed primly.

Aelrena says 'As most of you should know already, but for those who may not, this class is about the Reign of Artur Paendrag Tanreall, more commonly known as Artur Hawkwing. While we will cover the history of the time, the intent is to also expound upon what actions were taken by the Aes Sedai of the era, both their mistakes and their successes. '

Aelrena turns around, writing “Artur “Hawkwing” Paendrag Tanreall” upon the board behind her before spinning back about to face the classroom.

Aelrena says 'Artur Paendrag Tanreall, was born in FY, that is to say Free Year, 912, The child of KingMyrdin Paendrag Maregore and Queen Mailinde Paendrag Lyndhal, the reigning monarchs of Shandalle.'

Aelrena continues, her eyes bright, “For those of you who don’t know, Shandalle was one of the
smaller kingdoms formed shortly after the Trolloc Wars, within the first century following, and it
was located in what is now the westernmost reaches of Cairhien.”

Catisune nods, the bun atop her head swaying.

Aelrena paces sedately across the front of the classroom as she speaks, her eyes alighting upon each woman present before moving onto the next as she gives each of them a private smile.

Aelrena continues pacing, nodding in time to her words, “27 years later, in FY 939, Artur Paendrag Tanreal ascended to the Throne of Shandalle after his parents died in the Black Fever pandemic that was sweeping the land at the time.“, she then absently runs her hand across the surface of the desk,seemingly tracing something in the woodwork.

Aelrena says 'Can anyone else name another significant event of the year? Beyond the worsening of the Black Fever Pandemic, or the Ascension of Artur Paendrag Tanreal?'

Nymyrya taps her chin in thought.

Nymyrya looks at the other women in the room expectantly.

Ruby coughs politely, glancing at Catisune.

Aelrena crosses her hands at her waist, politely waiting to see if anyone has an answer.

Catisune says 'Of course, the False Dragon Guaire Amalasan declared himself the same year.'

Catisune narrows her eyes upon the initiates assembled in a gesture that can only be interpreted as unimpressed.

Aelrena says 'Yes Aes Sedai, this was the same year Guaire Amalasan began his attempts to reach Tear, in his madness of trying to proclaim himself the Dragon.'

Aelrena says 'Following this the Aes Sedai of the era orchestrated multiple armies to attempt taking him in, however, all but those led by Tanreal were defeated. '

Aelrena pauses, looking about the room to ensure that the initiates are taking notes before
continuing, “It was during this time that the great general earned the epithet Hawkwing, reflecting the speed at which he and his armies were capable of moving about, as by the year 942 he was well known as Artur Hawkwing.”

Catisune squints as she holds her hoop at a distance.

Aelrena ‘s voice is clear, but her eyes seem to be unseeing now, lost to a time long past, “By the
following year, FY 943 Hawkwing managed to outmaneuver Amalasan at the Battle of Jolvaine Pass, then marching his army to Tar Valon to bring the man to justice.”

Aelrena says 'However, upon the general's arrival it was proclaimed that he had entered the territories of Tar Valon against the law by bringing an army without Aes Sedai permission, though it's unknown if the Sisters who accompanied his army gave their own authorization to him. '

Nymyrya opens her notebook to an earmarked page.

Aelrena frowns, and she shakes her head slightly, her gaze returning to the class in front of her.
“It IS known however, that the Aes Sedai who accompanied his army were later given penances upon their return to the Tower.”

Nymyrya nods to herself as she poises her pen above the page.

Aelrena says 'Now, are any of you able to tell me who the Amyrlin of the time was?'

Aelrena 's eyes dart to Ruby Sedai quickly before scanning across the rest of the room.

Nymyrya nods and flips through the pages for a moment.

Nymyrya says 'Amyrlin Bonwhin Meraighdin.'

Ruby taps her chin thoughtfully.

Nymyrya clumsily says the last name, tracing a finger along her page as she does.

Catisune continues stitching meticulously, occasionally flipping her hoop.

Aelrena says 'That's right, Nymyrya, Bonwhin was the Amyrlin of the time.'

Aelrena says 'There are others reasons everyone present should be familiar, though we will get into them in a moment.'

Aelrena moves behind the desk, briefly picking up her sheaf of notes and straightening them without a glance as she continues “Bonwhin pronounced that Hawking only had 5 days to rest his army and leave Tar Valon.”

Catisune seems to have lost interest in her hoop for the moment. She studies Aelrena.

Aelrena says 'However, the forces of the False Dragon had different plans, and the city was attacked forcing the Tower to once again request Hawkwings aid to fight off the assault, thus ending in the capture of Amalasan and seeing him gentled.'

Aelrena moves back in front of the desk before leaning against the front of it and placing her hands on the edge, gripping it loosely, “Following this, Caembarin, Tova and Khodomar all launched attacks upon Artur Hawkwing’s home of Shandalle.”

Aelrena looks about the classroom, waiting to see if anyone has questions before continuing the
lesson.

Nymyrya begins writing, adding to her notes.

Catisune says 'Why did they attack Hawkwing?'

Aelrena says 'Well Catisune Sedai, the nations claimed that Hawkwing was a power-hungry conqueror, who was, subverting attempts to restore order after the passing of the False Dragon.'

Catisune sets her hoop to one side of her upon the bench.

Catisune taps her lip thoughtfully.

Catisune says 'Go on.'
Aelrena says “This is an event which history states however, Bonwhin orchestrated. A failed attempt to control the actions of such a strong Ta’veren.” she pauses, her fingers tapping against the end of the desk.

Aelrena says 'It's believed that Bonwhin Meraighdin set Hawkwing up in an attempt to bring him under control, using those nations as pawns in her games. '

Aelrena says 'Does that answer your question, Catisune Sedai?'

Catisune says 'In fact, I think it does.'

Catisune blinks her large, watery eyes.

Catisune's attention returns to her embroidery hoop.

Aelrena continues, her eyes turning the the ceiling in thought, "It was these attacks which marked the beginning of what is known as the Consolidation, an event which lasted from FY 943 to FY 963, in Hawkwing set about conquering the other Free nations.”

Aelrena stands up from her stoop against the desk, “ It’s here that I would like to break and take a moment to discuss what we believe the Aes Sedai of the era did correctly, and what could have been improved upon."

Aelrena says 'After all, while we clearly know that Amalasan was gentled, it was a time of great turmoil, which resulted in many deaths and travesties. '

Catisune purses her lips.

Ruby glances at Nymyrya.

Aelrena 's eyes turn to each of the women present, her expression tranquil before she nods in
acquiescence, "I would be the first to mention that perhaps the Tower could have sent more sisters after the False Dragon, which could have eased the capture of Amalasan. What else can we think of?"

Catisune sighs ponderously.

Nymyrya looks up ponderously before speaking 'I believe the Aes Sedai at the time did exactly what they were supposed to do. Had the events unfolded in any other way, Hawkwing may not have been successful in his attempts to unite the nations, and therefore the peace and stability resultant from his empire would not have occured."

Nymyrya says 'I tend to find motives as such somewhat irrelevant, but this is more of a
philosophical point of view.'

Aelrena 's eyebrows raise, though she nods in consideration of the Accepted's words.

The door is opened from the other side.

Aelrena says 'You don't believe there are actions that the Tower could have take-'

Aelrena feels the flows of saidar coursing through her body.

Aelrena starts paying increased attention to her surroundings.

Catisune greets Erulisse with a light kiss on her cheek.

Aelrena curtseys before Erulisse.

Catisune looks up from her stitching, needle gleaming.

Nymyrya lets out a deep breath.

Erulisse nods in agreement.

Nymyrya closes the door.

Aelrena says 'A pleasure to see you, Erulisse Sedai.'

Erulisse smiles happily.

Catisune indicates an empty space next to her on the bench as she welcomes Erulisse.

Erulisse says 'And you Accepted'

Erulisse greets Catisune with a light kiss on her cheek.

Ruby greets Erulisse with a light kiss on her cheek.

Catisune greets Erulisse with a light kiss on her cheek.

Nymyrya curtseys before Erulisse.

Erulisse takes a seat beside the birdlike brown.

Erulisse greets Ruby with a light kiss on her cheek.

Nymyrya returns to her seat rigidly.

Catisune shows Erulisse her embroidery hoop.

Aelrena says 'We were just speaking of what actions the Tower took in the beginning of Hawkwing's Era, and what might have been improved.'

Aelrena returns her focus to Nymyrya.

Aelrena says 'You don't think there are any actions the Tower might have been able to improve upon, Nymyrya?'

Aelrena 's words are curious, clearly not meant to be mocking in any way.

Nymyrya says 'I may not be the best one to ask, Accepted Aelrena. I believe all events, even the most subjectively unfortunate, unfold exactly as the Wheel needs them to. It is possible I have spent too long in the philosophy sections and not enough in the histories.'

Aelrena chuckles politely.

Catisune's lips twitch.

Erulisse has reconnected.

Aelrena says 'I suppose that's a fair point. The wheel weaves as the wheel wills, so the common epithet goes. Though I would argue it's rather important to consider how we might do better as a whole.'

Catisune nods, the censorious bun atop her head swaying.

Nymyrya says 'But, in the interest of sport, had the Tower captured and gentled Guaire without
difficulty, then yes. Hawkwings intervention would not have been necessary.'

Aelrena says 'We are the women who will be shaping the course of nations, determining how disputesthroughout the known world are settled, not the Wheel itself.'

Aelrena nods at her.

Aelrena 's chuckles slightly, her eyes filled with clear mirth.

Aelrena says 'If nobody else has anything, I would mentioned one other thought before we continue onward.'

Aelrena says 'Perhaps the Tower might have been best served for arranging a knife in the dark for Amalasan?'

Catisune smirks.

Aelrena 's eyes take on a predatory gleam as she speaks the words, looking about to see if anyone will argue the point.

Erulisse's fingers drum on the hilt of her knife.

Nymyrya says coldly "Do not all men deserve to answer for their crimes in the light?"

Aelrena says 'I would say they do. It would also be breaking Tower law to kill or gentle him without bringing him to the Tower to face trial.'

Nymyrya shakes her head slightly, "As if anyone in the history of the world deserved anything,
however, the Rule of Law is a construct I believe we have all accepted and this action would be in violation."

Aelrena nods at her.

Catisune cants her head to the side as a bird might.

Aelrena says 'I'm glad you caught that, though I believe I would love to debate with you some time over the perhaps deserving something might be less... subjective than you feel.'

Aelrena shakes her head.

Aelrena says 'That is neither here nor there.'

Aelrena leans back against the desk, looking out to the classroom.

Aelrena says 'In FY 961 his then wife Amaline Tagora as well as his three living children,his eldest son Modair having died in battle during FY 959, were all poisoned. '

Nymyrya sucks air through her teeth.

Aelrena continues, the Accepted’s deep brown gaze sharp as it hops between attendees, “Following this, he invaded Aldeshar and executed the King Foal Ramedar, an event widely known as the end of the Consolidation, with Aldeshar having been the last of the free nations.”

Catisune looks around the room.

Aelrena says 'However, in protest of his brutal invasion, and the butchery of several generals who Hawkwing refused to allow surrender, Hawkwings Aes Sedai Advisor, Chowin Tsao resigned in protest. '

Aelrena looks to the board before walking over and writing slowly beneath Hawkwing’s name, “This began what was known as the black years of Hawkwing’s reign, or the Years of Silent Rage.”

Aelrena says 'A period which is characterized by Hawkings harsh treatment of the Aldesharan people, and the mistakes he made during their assimilation into his empire.'

Aelrena says 'The Black years ended when Hawking accepted a new Aes Sedai advisor in FY 967, temporarily ending the divide between his now empire and the White Tower. '

Erulisse ponders life, the universe, and everything.

Aelrena pauses, her mouth quirking thoughtfully, “Out of vague curiosity, can anyone here tell m what nation Aldeshar has since become? The provincial name that it was given upon joining
Hawkwing’s Empire?”

Nymyrya taps her chin in thought and then begins leafing through her notes.

Erulisse says 'Does it have a modern analogue?'

Erulisse says 'I was under the impression it formed parts of Andor and Murandy'

Nymyrya taps a page of her notebook and says 'Murandy, I believe.

Nymyrya nods at Erulisse.

Catisune does not look up from her embroidery hoop.

Aelrena says 'Parts of Murandy and Andor, though for the most part it became what is now known as Andor'

Nymyrya writes in her notebook.

Aelrena raises her hands once again to quiet the room, “I will not expound upon the peaceful years which occur after the Black years and before FY 973, though I’d be more than willing to talk to any who wish to about it after class.”

Aelrena says 'It was in FY 973 that Jalwin Moerad came to advise Hawkwing, and it is speculated, bringing with him evidence that it was the White Tower who poisoned Amaline and their children. '

Aelrena says 'In the following year, Hawkwing dismissed all Aes Sedai from their posts throughout the Empire, and the year after besieged Tar Valon itself. '

Catisune nods, the bun atop her head swaying.

Aelrena continues, “Thus it came to be that in FY 992, Bonwhin Meraighdin was deposed from the Amyrlin seat for her crimes and mistakes in trying to maneuver Hawkwing as a puppet, and Tower raised Deane Aryman in her stead.”

Aelrena walks between the desks, glancing down at the notes each person has taken, “Though attempts at diplomacy were made, Hawkwing’s siege was not ended until two years later with his death, when Ishara Casalain convinced Souran Maravaile, the commander of the siege, to do so.”

Aelrena settles back at the front of the classroom, resuming her perch upon the edge of the desk, an act reminiscent of her mentor.

Aelrena says 'First question, does anyone recognize the name Ishara Casalain from anywhere? How do you think that this ending of the siege has affected current events, and the current diplomatic ties of the Tower?'.

Erulisse nods but doesn't speak.

Nymyrya opens her notes to a separate dog-eared section.

Catisune continues her even stitching, nodding to herself occasionally.

Nymyrya says Ishara Casalain was the first Queen of Andor.

Aelrena says 'Correct, and do you think that her actions in helping end the siege of the city has
affected the modern political landscape?'

Aelrena peers closely at Nymyrya, trying to figure her out.

Erulisse says 'Having a close relationship with the ruling house of Andor has protected Tar Valon ever since'

Erulisse says 'They bulwark us from the large and powerful southern nations'

Erulisse says 'And their dynastic ties with Cairhien secure us to the east'

Aelrena says 'And ever since then we've had close ties, such that the daughter-heir of Andor is sent to train in the Tower.'

Aelrena says 'Second, what do you think happened during this time that the Aes Sedai could have done better? What about what they did well? Do you think it was entirely out of the White Towers control?

Erulisse says 'Well if we were going to poison people we should have started with Hawkwing'

Erulisse says 'Seems obvious'

Catisune snickers softly.

Erulisse says 'An impressionable and less capable younger son would have needed to keep us on side'

Ruby nods in agreement.

Catisune turns over the hoop in her lap to examine the back.

Erulisse says 'I think that Aes Sedai serving in his administration was good policy'

Aelrena says 'I think that's true. Perhaps displacing Hawkwing for a less capable person who needed more Tower guidance would have helped.'

Erulisse says 'Though it runs the risk of decreasing the mystery which we rely on'

Aelrena ponders life, the universe, and everything.

sisters directly in place of the administration allows the Tower to have direct sight rather than
Aelrena says 'I believe that Aes Sedai have more experience at most tasks, given their long lives. And having sisters directly in place of the administration allows the Tower to have direct sight rather than relying on eyes and ears.'

Aelrena says 'So I believe that's an improvement for both ends of the agreement.'

Catisune nods in agreement.

Aelrena says 'These are all questions that are important for us to ask, if the intiates among us ever hope to attain the shawl. '

Aelrena continues, her plain looking face looking kind as she smiles, “After all, it’s up to the Aes
Sedai to shape the world and prepare for the future, which includes Tarmon Gai'don. And the best way to do that, is to learn from the mistakes of the past.”

Nymyrya observes the conversation silently.

Aelrena says 'Is there anything more you would like to add? Catisune Sedai? Erulisse Sedai? Ruby Sedai?'

Catisune crosses her ankles primly and shakes her head.

Ruby says 'I don't believe so.'

Erulisse says 'I would like accepted to consider'

Aelrena looks to Erulisse Sedai, listening quietly.

Erulisse says 'How the siege of Tar Valon effects us demographically'

Erulisse says 'I first started thinking about this when I studied the Trolloc wars and the way it
stopped prospective students from reaching the Tower'

Aelrena nods slowly, her eyebrows pushed together in thought as she listens.

Erulisse says 'Two years worth of novices lost'

Nymyrya nods at Erulisse.

Erulisse says 'Snowballs across time to add to the overall decrease in our numbers'

Erulisse says 'Just something to think of when it comes to the risk of being isolated'

Erulisse says 'Either by diplomacy or millitary force'

Erulisse nods to the Accepted to continue.

Aelrena says 'Perhaps an argument of how the Tower should balance mysteriousness with keeping the other nations close?'

Aelrena peers closely at Erulisse, trying to figure her out.

Erulisse nods in agreement.

Erulisse says 'Also perhaps sisters who are outside the walls at such times might consider taking their own students'

Erulisse says 'At least temporarily'

Aelrena ponders life, the universe, and everything.

Erulisse says 'I'm thinking about Mirin on Maredo, Morraine, even Cadsuane'

Aelrena nods at her.

Erulisse says 'There are always wanderers away from the Tower'

Erulisse says 'Just something to think on'

Aelrena says 'A loss perhaps, that they do not take students, though I'm not certain the requirements of a novice could be met while traveling.'

Aelrena says 'If nobody has any final questions, you may all be dismissed. '

Aelrena says 'Thank you for attending.'

Aelrena smiles happily.

Erulisse smiles happily.

Catisune

Re: Class Log: Exploring the White Tower's Response to Hawkwing

Post by Catisune » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:54 pm

I awarded Aelrena for her pedagogy and all participants.