Impromptu Class Log - Weave Selection Considerations

A forum to leave your class logs, reports and any other information that belongs in the greatest library in the world.
Sarinda

Impromptu Class Log - Weave Selection Considerations

Post by Sarinda » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:11 am

Summary:
Sarinda teaches a small impromptu class on the topic of basic options pertaining to selecting what weaves a channeler should study. Topics include individual and environmental factors for which weaves one might select, and some discussion about specific utility weaves and their benefits and costs. The class abruptly ends early after an unexpected visitor joins them.

POV: Sarinda
Main Characters: Sarinda, Nymyrya, Penzei
Brief Appearance: Read and find out! ;)

Notes:
RP-lized and lightly edited to remove some spam and OOC conversation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the Classroom
A board of black slate hangs on the wall near the door, suggesting this
room is used as a classroom. The room is plain and windowless and has
enough place to seat thirty students. A dais with a desk sits at the front
of the room, where the Aes Sedai or Accepted teaching the class can sit.
[ obvious exits: W ]
Zone: White Tower Upper Floors
Door west: door
Nymyrya La'Muera the Wearied Novice is standing here.
Penzei Perets, Tower Accepted, Yellow Ajah Apprentice is standing here.
A haughty young woman strides by practicing Aes Sedai serenity.

close door w
Sarinda closes the door.

Nymyrya perches herself stiffly on the edge of a chair, like some kind of awkward statue.

Sarinda smiles warmly.

Sarinda sits down.

Sarinda says 'If it pleases the Light, we can consider this a somewhat more informal class. Eat and drink as you need, and come or go as you desire.'

Penzei slides elegantly into a desk, retrieving a thick leather binder from seemingly nowhere inside her dress.

Sarinda says 'Nymyra, you requested to discuss more about options for weave selection?'

Nymyrya nods in agreement.

Sarinda says 'Perhaps we can talk more broadly about how one evaluates individual weaves when deciding what to study, and within the context of her larger goals in the Tower.'

Nymyrya says 'Yes Aes Sedai. Raeza Sedai tasked me with researching weave prac setups to be able to defend myself.'

Sarinda nods in agreement.

Sarinda says 'If it pleases the Light, what weaves do you currently have studied?'

Sarinda says 'And you too, as well, Accepted.'

Penzei says 'Well the long of the short of it is, All of the healing arts and cures, Warding vs damage, armor and strength, change weather/zing, blind, Hammer of Air, fireball/spikes'

Penzei says 'and flamestrike'

Nymyrya says 'ooc I have it on wtrainer, but not the format all you have shown me.'

Sarinda says 'That is fine. Just verbally summarizing what you have by name is sufficient for this part.'

Sarinda nods at Penzei.

Sarinda ponders life, the universe, and everything.

Nymyrya says 'Ok, I have...'

Sarinda nods, listening intently.

Nymyrya says 'Armor, blind, zing, change weather, cure serious, fireball, flame strike, light ball, locate life/object, refresh travel, and spikes'

Sarinda taps a finger on her chin with a curious look on her face.

Sarinda says 'When you decide first what weaves to study, there are a number of choices you must make, and factors you must consider, before you even step into Sheriam's office.'

Penzei pulls out a clean parchment jotting some notes, while simultaneously sifting through some of her older notes

Sarinda says 'Each woman cannot change her natural intelligence short of an intervention from the Creator. Those who are more gifted will have a greater range of weaves to select from. Those, such as me, who are perhaps not naturally bright and need to work harder to learn the flows will want to consider studying fewer weaves.'

Sarinda says 'Then, you must also consider the general focus and intention of your areas of study.'

Sarinda says 'Penzei, for example, is an apprentice to the Yellow Ajah and so has mastered all of the Healing and support weaves.'

Nymyrya nods slowly, considering what's being said.

Sarinda smiles warmly.

Sarinda says 'You, on the other hand, Nymyrya, may have more interest - at least for now - in using offensive weaves.'

Nymyrya idly traces a finger down the scar on her face.

Sarinda says 'If it pleases the Light, fewer of the girls have the Talen for Weaving the Winds -- you among the shorebound might know it as Cloud Dancing -- but it seems you both have natural skill for channeling the weather.'

Sarinda smiles warmly.

Sarinda says 'Other than the weather, what do you two think are critical weaves that any channeler truly should learn regardless of her preferred setup, intelligence, or rank?'

Penzei says 'Cloud Dancing'

Penzei says 'that is a new one on me'

Sarinda says 'It is the name of the Talent for changing the weather.'

Nymyrya considers the question for a moment.

Penzei says 'Well, I know what my answer is'

Nymyrya says 'Two critical weaves, Aes Sedai... Armor and...'

Penzei says 'but I'll give the Novice a chance'

Sarinda says 'It is one of the more common Talents, but not so common that everyone has it. I know Praetora has training in it and uses them as well.'

Penzei stops using a water skin.

Penzei drinks water from a water skin.

Penzei drinks water from a water skin.

Penzei puts a water skin on her belt.

Nymyrya says 'Pardon Aes Sedai, I thought you asked for two critical weaves, you meant us two. Apologies.'

Penzei says 'Flamestrike seems to be one of the most critical weaves for any'

Penzei says 'can be used both defensively and offensively'

Penzei says 'works in any weather'

Nymyrya says 'I think absolutely critical would be armor, A powerful damage weave such as ice spikes, a fast weave like, flame strike, and a status effect weave like blind or chill.'

Sarinda says 'It is certainly a very common weave.'

Penzei says 'and can interrupt an enemy channeler '

Sarinda says 'I certainly think Armor is perhaps one of the most important weaves in our arsenal when preparing for combat.'

Sarinda says 'And then, as you said, you will want a fast weave, and a slower but more damaging weave.'

Sarinda says 'I will return to status ailments, if it pleases the Light. They are an interesting topic in their own.'

Sarinda says 'Two more weaves that are highly common but, strictly speaking, not necessary for success in combat is some form of Healing, like Cure Light or Cure Serious wounds, and Refresh.'

Penzei says 'Ahh yes, refresh'

Penzei says 'when you can't travel, keep a horse traveling for you'

Sarinda says 'However, channelers, even wilders, are blessed with such ability as to sustain horses for seemingly endless travel across the world that I think it shoudl be a requirement for anyone who does not have training in the Travel or Gate weaves. And even then, I would still suggest it.'

Nymyrya says 'There are several unnecessary weaves in my setup, refresh is not among them'

Sarinda says 'Another that is very helpful, but again not critical, is Warding vs Damage.'

Sarinda says 'What do you know about this weave, and some of the pros and cons of using it in combat situations?'

Penzei contines jotting in her notes non-chalantly

Nymyrya says 'It is extremely common in most builds I've seen Aes Sedai. If I recall correctly, it absorbs half of physical damage, and lasts 3 hours (ooc ticks)'

Nymyrya says 'And you may only cast the weave on yourself.'

Sarinda grimaces, 'Yes, currently that is true. Back in the day, the weaves worked more reliably, and it could be woven on others. Truly, this was a powerful weave. But something...changed with the flows.'

Sarinda draws down her thin eyebrows into a frown.

Sarinda says 'I have not researched it closely enough to verify your claim of how much damage it protects against. I believe it is approximately one-third or 40%, though.'

Penzei says 'It is the Yellow Ajah's belief that the change in the leylines caused the altercation of the weave.'

Sarinda draws down her thin eyebrows into a frown.

Sarinda murmurs, 'The Father of Storms stirring in his prison.'

Sarinda intones, 'If it pleases the Light, all will be well. All will be well, and all manner of things will be well, if it pleases the Light.'

Nymyrya nods at Penzei.

Sarinda nods decisively.

Sarinda says 'Now, what kinds of damage does Warding vs Damage actually ward against?'

Nymyrya opens her mouth for a moment, then shuts it and looks at Penzei expectantly.

Penzei glances over at the novice with a slight grin.

Sarinda says 'Perhaps let me ask more pointedly. Does the Warding protect against the One Power?'

Sarinda says 'Or only against melee weapons, stabbing, and the like?'

Penzei says 'The Warding vs Damage weave protects against both physical attacks and attacks from the One Power'

Sarinda nods decisively.

Sarinda smiles warmly.

Sarinda says 'Yes, that is correct, if it pleases the Light. Again, I believe by about 30-40%.'

Penzei says 'attacks from the one power are mititgated at a rate of one third'

Nymyrya very casually takes out a small notebook and begins scribbling.

Sarinda says 'It is part of the reason I make an effort to learn it, as over the course of a quick skirmish against the Dreadlords or damane, it can protct me from considerable damage.'

Sarinda says 'If it pleases the Light, I would categorize all weaves into one of three categories: Offensive, defensive, and utility.'

Sarinda says 'The spread versus depth to which you study your weaves is a personal preference, but generally, you should have higher training in weaves for which failure even intermittently would be upsetting.'

Penzei says 'After the change in the leylines it has been quite frustrating'

Penzei says 'Sometimes even the most reliable weave has begun to fail...'

Sarinda says 'For someone excelling in combat, 99% is a natural target. This way, any time an enemy escapes critically injured and you fail your weave, you know that there was nothing more you could have done. Sometimes, it simply happens.'

Sarinda nods at Penzei.

Sarinda says 'However, 95% is still significantly higher than 90, but the difference there can be as high as 5 practice sessions.'

Sarinda says 'Most weaves require about 8-10 practice sessions to achieve superb (90%+) training, although some such as Cure Light Wounds are much easier, while others might take more.'

Sarinda says 'Now, Penzei, you suggested Flame Strike is a critical weave that all should learn?'

Penzei says 'I did'

Sarinda says 'I would agree that, in ideal circumstances, virtually all Tower channelers should learn it for the reasons you described. It is a staple of my own practice setup.'

Sarinda says 'Can either of you consider why a channeler might opt out of learning this weave, and still be viable in most combat situations?'

Nymyrya raises her hand.

Penzei says 'For a Aes Sedai practiced in gate, it is often more valuable to train hailstorm as your primary fast weave. This allows you to remain competitive in channeler vs channeler combat.'

Penzei says 'while also having a larger flexibility for other weaves'

Sarinda says 'Potentially, yes. There are viable alternatives that I think might be underrated, in specific situations.'

Sarinda says 'Nymyrya?'

Nymyrya says 'We are of the same thought, being so heavily invested in Fire uses a lot of practices there are fast weaves in other elements that will already have their requirements met with other utility weaves.'

Sarinda says 'Precisely.'

Sarinda says 'Ultimately, it comes down to a question of breadth versus depth, and whether the gains outweigh the costs.'

Sarinda says 'There are several weaves that require 1 flow of Fire, such as Blind and Call Lightning.'

Nymyrya says 'However, flame strike and hammer of air are the only fast weaves not affected by weather, and flame strike is superior in damage to all three, Aes Sedai. Unless I'm mistaken'

Sarinda says 'You are correct, as far as I am aware, although Hailstorm and Flame Strike are so similar that I cannot say that it is clearly deficient.'

Sarinda says 'In ideal weather conditions, at least.'

Sarinda says 'The research I have personally conducted, combined with other reports filed in the Eighth Depository, suggest that Hailstorm's damage is comparable all the way from 0 to 75 degrees, with approximately 30 damage per weave. Flame Strike, in contrast, is 31.5 damage per weave in all weather.'

Nymyrya nods at Sarinda.

Penzei says 'While I whole heartedly agree that flamestrike is all around a better weave, there is a strong case for utilizing it to maintain a diversification of your over all capabilities by choosing Hailstorm instead of flamestrike'

Sarinda says 'Nymyrya, as a novice, you cannot leave the island. It is always temperate here in this area, and even in the summer such as now, the temperature typically averages around 50-55 degrees. Well within the range of Hailstorm's optimal damage.'

Sarinda nods at Penzei.

Sarinda says 'I will say that if you do not pick -some- faster weave of those three, you will likely be at a very significant disadvantage in fighting other channelers. But if you are in a group, there is a chance the Dreadlord or Darkfriend may be attacking another channeler anyway, and you could sneak in a quick Ice Spikes or other longer weave. So even without a fast weave, you could still theoretically contribute in combat, just at a very significant disadvantage.'

Penzei says 'Even tonight I found myself struggling to match the timing of a Dreadlord'

Sarinda comforts Penzei.

Penzei says 'which would not be possible without a fast weave'

Sarinda says 'If it pleases the Light, I saw from even a handful of spars that 95% training in Flame Strike was still low enough that I was not pleased with the failure rate, when you use it so much.'

Sarinda says 'I would argue that even a Journey Accepted might benefit from considering Hailstorm, as an overwhelming majority of places where she travels will have optimized weather for Hailstorm.'

Penzei says 'I have heard rumor about the Red Ajah performing tests with cutting the weaves of an enemy channeler to bits to improve it, have you any knowledge of such things ?'

Nymyrya says 'At 95%, I failed enough times to make completing your timing task somewhat more challenging than I had expected, Aes Sedai'

Sarinda nods at Nymyrya.

Sarinda says 'Currently, I am not fully satisfied with the incarnation of Slice Weaves that we have. It is slightly too costly, and not quite disruptive enough, to make it part of my very tight practice setup.'

Sarinda says 'If we could experiment and discover a version that is even slightly cheaper, or causes the recipient to be lagged longer or to release the Source, I would say that it might be quite valuable.'

Nymyrya says 'If it pleases, Aes Sedai. May I ask some questions about this weave? There is not very much information available in the depository.'

Sarinda says 'That is something I consider a utility weave.'

Sarinda nods at Nymyrya.

Sarinda says 'What are your questions?'

Nymyrya says 'It is very fast, and relatively easy to weave, despite the heavy elemental cost.'

Nymyrya says 'Do you know approximately how long it stuns the victim?'

Nymyrya says 'Does the victim lose the sps of the weave they were casting?'

Penzei says 'Only area of effect weaves cost Sps while channeling them'

Sarinda says 'If I recall correctly, it is either 2 or 3 pulses of lag. I think only 2.'

Nymyrya turns the corners of her mouth down slightly before making her face impassive again.

Nymyrya says 'That's not very much at all...'

Penzei says 'sometimes the difference between winning and losing is... not very much at all'

Sarinda says 'Regrettably, it has no impact on the target's saidar energy. And that is one of its weaknesses. It costs 8 SPs to weave, but that is nearly the price of Flame Strike.'

Nymyrya nods at Sarinda.

Sarinda says 'The benefit of the lag, however, is certainly underestimated.'

Sarinda says 'Consider that if timed perfectly, you could start your next weave on the same pulse that Slice Weaves landed, and say that you start Ice Spikes.'

Nymyrya says 'If you were able to follow up with an offensive weave and time correctly...'

Sarinda says 'That has a timer of 13 pulses. Flame Strike is normally 10, but making it 12...'

Sarinda says 'That means that if you time your weave perfectly, unless they also time theirs perfectly, you could land an Ice Spikes on them in the time they normally use Flame Strike.'

Sarinda says 'Or a Fireball, in hot weather.'

Nymyrya says 'And this weave is only available to the Red Ajah, Aes Sedai?'

Sarinda shakes her head.

Sarinda says 'It is available to any member of the Tower, but the Red Ajah have extra training in using it and are less likely to fail the technique.'

Penzei nods in agreement.

Nymyrya dips her chin slightly, nodding in acknowledgment.

Sarinda says 'There is a slight influence of willpower and one's worldly experience, I believe.'

Nymyrya says 'Thank you Aes Sedai, very informative.'

Penzei claps her binder shut with a semi-loud clap and stuffs it back into her... dress/nowhere?

Sarinda says 'I saw the Darkfriend Cera use it against me, but fortunately her timing was never as fast as it could have been, had she pursued training with the Red Ajah.'

Sarinda smirks.

Penzei grins slightly at the mention.

Penzei says 'She is quite lacking in that ability is she not'

Sarinda's face darkens for a moment. 'If it pleases the Light, she is still a formidable opponent, and not to be underestimated.'

Sarinda sighs.

Penzei says 'Ofcourse, Sarinda Sedai, they are who they are for a reason'

Sarinda says 'But if you study hard, spar others for practice often, and keep these skills honed, you will find that your timing can gradually improve.'

Sarinda smiles happily.

Penzei stands abruptly from her desk while saying," Thank you so much for the impromptu lesson Sarinda Sedai, I must retire "

Sarinda says 'Ultimately, I would argue that the decision to pursue training in Flame Strike or Hailstorm depends on the likelihood that you are entering the Blight often, and what other Fire weaves you intend to learn.'

Penzei curtseys gracefully.

Sarinda nods at Penzei.

Sarinda says 'May the Light illumine you, and see you safe to your journey's end.'

Penzei opens the door.

Nymyrya waves goodbye to Penzei.

Penzei leaves west. <<

The door closes quietly.

Sarinda says 'If you plan to get Slice Weaves, or especially Fireball, than it is only logical to select Flame Strike as well.'

Nymyrya nods at Sarinda.

Sarinda says 'Even Elemental Staff requires 3 flows of Fire.'

Nymyrya says 'I seem to recall vaguely that you do not use the Travel weave, Aes sedai?'

Nymyrya says 'That must free up a great deal of room for others.'

Sarinda says 'Correct. I have surprising skill in Fire, for an Atha'an Miere, but only middling in Earth. I do not have the requisite strength to form the flows.'

Cera arrives from a flash of bright white light. :shock:

Sarinda stands up.

k cera
Sarinda tickles Cera's left arm with her strike.

Cera opens the door.

Sarinda senses Nymyrya connecting to the True Source.

Cera panics, and attempts to flee!
Sarinda feels the flows of saidar coursing through her body.

Cera leaves west. <<

Raeza

Re: Impromptu Class Log - Weave Selection Considerations

Post by Raeza » Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:09 pm

Awarded:

Sarinda - 5 rpqps (3 + 2 for editing)
Penzei - 3 rpqps
Nymyrya - 3 rpqps

Please say 'receive' at any silver-haired Aes Sedai to receive them.