Kandori Women

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Chloro

Kandori Women

Post by Chloro » Sun May 05, 2024 7:43 pm

Novice Lorrah sends Chloro Sedai a note seeking advancement, and is quickly schooled in the ways of the tower. Confirming Lorrah no longer acts like she is in a barn yard, the two women of Kandori blood exchange words and Lorrah is raised to wearied novice. (This was a fun one!)

View of: Chloro
Participants: Chloro, Lorrah

Meeting Room of the Gray Ajah
Large, leaded glass windows surround the room on all sides, save the
southern where a large doorway leads out into a antechamber. The room
itself is dominated by a large wooden table around which sits at least
fifty matching chairs, something close to a record for the White Tower. In
the middle of the table are an assortment of unused parchments, quill pens
and stoppered ink jars. A small stand off to one side of the room holds a
large number of glass cups and a large pitcher of chilled water. An
inscription in fine lettering is etched upon the windows.
[ obvious exits: E ]
Zone: White Tower Upper Floors
Door east: door
A chair made of red oak rests next to the table. [4]
A large round table built from black oak dominates the center of the room.
A silver-haired Aes Sedai sits here, reading.
A Gray Sister walks here, considering her options.
Annoura Larisen is here, weighing your words.

Chloro looks up from the last missive out of Mayene, her eyes and ears in the library did not yield much, that was to be expected. With a sigh she returned to her duties pulling a white leather folder off a stack from to her left. "Annoura, sister, would you summon novice Lorrah please."

Annoura Larisen says 'I will send my scribe to summon her, Chloro.'

Lorrah has arrived from the east.

Lorrah curtseys before you.

Lorrah says 'Hi Chloro Sedai. You asked to see me?'

Lorrah blows some soap suds off her nose.

Chloro raises her left eyebrow ever so slightly and then raises her right hand crooking her finger she swipes it to imply the novice should come back the way she came. "The Tower may change with the times, but manners are still required. Here we knock before entering a room, especially one with an Aes Sedai inside. Try again."

Lorrah gasps in astonishment.

Lorrah says 'my apologies Aes Sedai!'

Lorrah leaves east. >>

The carveddoor closes quietly.

Someone knocks on the carveddoor from the other side.

The carveddoor is opened from the other side.

Lorrah has arrived from the east.

Lorrah curtseys before Annoura Larisen.

Lorrah blushes.

Chloro nods in approval her face a mask of serene calm. "We also close the door after entering as well. Which Accepted should I credit for not teaching you this?"

Lorrah nods at you.

Lorrah closes the carveddoor.

Chloro says 'Much better.'

Lorrah says 'The accepted have been busy of late Chloro Sedai.'

Chloro opens a white leather folder before her, as she straightens her back in her high-backed chair on the southwestern bend. Lifting her right hand, she waves casually to the large round table. "Have a seat child, I received your note, though I question now why it was sent.

Lorrah looks around, finding a spare seat and sits down.

Lorrah sits down and rests.

Chloro say 'Novice Lorrah, we have not had a chance to speak at length, tell which country we owe for your addition to the Tower?'

Lorrah says 'I'm from Kandor Sitter Chloro'

Lorrah says 'my father was a saddle maker at the keep.'

Lorrah says 'I was never deft enough with the needle to follow in the trade and wanted to see a little of the southlands before settling down.'

Chloro says 'Thank you child, Chloro Sedai will do just fine when in casual conversation. I see you are newer to our ways so I will forgive any slights today. However, I to come from Kandor, so I will expect much of you, as I would any borderland woman. Is that clear?'

Lorrah says 'yes Chloro Sedai.'

Chloro says 'Good, now, you said your father was a saddle maker, mine was a blacksmith. As you can see woman of any background can rise and fall within the tower.'

Lorrah smiles happily.

Chloro says 'Tell me how you came to us, when did you discover you could embrace the source?'

Lorrah says 'Well, I was traveling up from Tanchico via Amador to Baerlon, when I met a fellow traveler on the road. I think her name was Kerigon or something?'

Lorrah thinks hard.

Lorrah says 'Anyways, we camped together one night for fellowship and protection, as it can be a little hazardous for a woman alone.'

Chloro nods waiting for the Novice to continue.

Lorrah says 'she said she sensed the power in me, and suggested I come here to learn.'

Lorrah says 'I didn't believe her at first, but thought I'd come and see the shining walls. Sufficed to say, I was in white before I knew otherwise.'

Chloro looks to the notes within the folder and nods before reaching the writing set to her left and dipping a quill into ink. On a spare sheet she writes the name 'Kerigon' for later or
perhaps for the reds. "Yes, I see my sister Ashlynn assisted you in scribing your name in the Novice book."

Lorrah nods in agreement.

Lorrah says 'I knew as soon as we spoke it was what I wanted to do.'

Chloro says 'I must confess child, by now I would have expected a girl to have attended lessons with a few of my sisters before seeking advancement, but I can appreciate the boldness of your request.'

Lorrah says 'you're from the Borderlands too. You've seen the blight moving southward.'

Lorrah says 'every woman will be needed.'

Lorrah squares her shoulders determinedly.

Chloro says 'Be that as it may, the Tower has stood for 3000 years because we demand much, and there is little room for error.'

Chloro says 'Tell me, why do you seek to bind yourself further to the tower, and attempt to perfect yourself to face the arches?'

Lorrah says 'We must strive to become what the wheel destines us for. If it is my place to be here, and it certainly feels right, then I must be the best I can be.'

Lorrah says 'otherwise, it's a waste of talent.'

Lorrah nods to herself, she must need reassurance.

Chloro looks to the Novice weighing and measuring her with calculating gray eyes. "That is very pretty but it does not answer my question. Why do YOU, seek to do this?

Lorrah says 'I want to be the best I can be Chloro Sedai, to be Aes Sedai.'

Lorrah says 'What else would I do now I have touched the power?'

Lorrah says 'So, I'll apply myself here, learn what I can, and hopefully progress, because that's what I feel is the right thing to do.'

Chloro looks to the Aes Sedai in the room, then to the novice. "Many women have traveled that road; few reach the end of it. To become Aes Sedi is to forsake any other life that could have been. Aes Sedai do not marry, we do not bear children. Our lives are long and our loss much. Knowing this do you still seek the shawl?"

Lorrah raises her chin defiantly.

Lorrah says 'yes Chloro Sedai, that’s what I want.'

Chloro says 'Then I would hope one as determined has become knowledgeable about the Tower and this city. We shall see if you have.'

Chloro says 'Who is the current Amyrlin seat?'

Lorrah says 'it is Cadsuane Melaidhrin,Chloro Sedai'

Lorrah says 'who currently wears the 7 striped stole.'

Chloro remains impassive as she clucks her tongue against the roof of her mouth."Cadsuane Sedai is currently in retirement child, try again. Mother was formally of the Blue Ajah."

Lorrah says 'think.'

Lorrah snaps her fingers.

Lorrah says 'ow, it is Siuan Sanche.'

Chloro lifts the quill again making a note for herself. "Correct, who is the Mistress of Novices?"

Lorrah says 'Sheriam Sedai.'

Chloro says 'Very good.'

Lorrah smiles happily.

Chloro says 'Recite the three oaths.'

Lorrah thinks hard.

Lorrah says 'The first oath is to speak no word that is untrue.'

Chloro holds up a hand.

Lorrah says 'The second oath is to make no weapon with which one man, or woman, may kill another.'

Chloro says 'Exact verbiage child, words are important.'

Lorrah says 'ok, the first oath is to speak no word that is not true'

Chloro nods and motions for the girl to continue.

Lorrah says 'I feel it is important to mention woman in the second, although it isn't as written.'

Lorrah says 'The third oath is to never use the One Power as a weapon except against Darkfriends or Shadowspawn, or in the last extreme defense of her life, the life of her Warder, or of another Aes Sedai.'

Lorrah nods to herself, she must need reassurance.

Chloro says 'I would like you to seek out an Accepted over the next week and over the three oaths. I would also like you to contemplate the meaning of each oath as it is written and as you then think it should be written and send that to be via pigeon (forum mail) you will find yourself far limited with your version that the oaths would have you.'

Lorrah ponders life, the universe, and everything.

Lorrah says 'if I may Chloro Sedai?'

Chloro says 'Go ahead child.'

Lorrah says 'why does the second oath only state "make no weapon with which one man may kill?'

Lorrah says 'I've heard the Aiel spear maidens are lethal.'

Lorrah says 'It seems a fairly large loophole.'

Chloro chuckles and looks to the novice. "If I were to answer, then that would negate the assignment I have given you. Life in the tower is as much about learning of yourself as it is learning of the world."

Lorrah nods at you.

Chloro says 'Which Ajah is credited as the Keepers of knowledge?'

Lorrah says 'I must admit, I feel drawn to the Brown. I love to study!'

Lorrah says 'so, the Brown Ajah!'

Chloro says 'Correct answer, though it is far too early to know which path you will take, you will have years of study ahead before that decision comes. I myself started out thinking of the Blue before realizing it was not the path for me.'

Lorrah smiles happily.

Chloro says 'What does it mean to be Wearied child?'

Lorrah says 'Existentially or generally?'

Chloro says 'As a Novice what does it mean to be wearied?'

Lorrah says 'Here, it means you are far enough on in your studies and grasp of the power to begin reading yourself for the test for accepted, though the 3 arches.'

Chloro says 'While that is true, I will elaborate.'

Lorrah pays rapt attention to Chloro Sedai.

Chloro says 'To be wearied is to be just that. Your studies will increase, your burden within the tower increases. Many girls crack during this level of training. You will be worked and studied till you can take no more and then pushed further. Knowing this do you still seek to be wearied?'

Lorrah says 'I do.'

Chloro says 'Sister, judge the readiness of Lorrah to advance in the Tower.'

Annoura Larisen inclines her head, saying 'As you wish, Chloro Sedai.'

Annoura Larisen says 'I shall consult with Alyssa the scribe on this matter.'

Annoura Larisen leaves for a moment, then returns.

Lorrah gasps in astonishment.

Chloro nods and lifts a quill writing a few words in serpentine script. "Then we shall see to what must be done."

You say 'Sister let us recognize Novice Lorrah'

Annoura Larisen says 'It is done.'

Chloro says 'It is done for now, Wearied Novice Lorrah, I will expect you to study hard. What comes next will take every ounce of strength within you. I expect you to take lessons with many Aes Sedai and seek tutoring with Accepted. Do you have any questions?'

Lorrah says 'No Chloro Sedai. Thank you and Annoura Sedai for your time.'

Chloro nods and returns to her work "You are dismissed Novice, but do be forewarned, I will be watching."