The Novice Path to Acceptance

A forum to leave your non-sensitive roleplay logs, stories and other roleplay contributions that deal with Tar Valon affairs.
Skyra

The Novice Path to Acceptance

Post by Skyra » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:49 pm

Summary: When speaking with Chloro Sedai about being raised to Accepted she set me off on a task for me to reach out to one Aes Sedai and one Accepted to discuss what becoming an Accepted means. What follows is the conversation I had with Lady Ashlynn Sedai. I found Lady Ashlynn Sedai in the Solarium of the Yellow Ajah and she indicated she had time to spend with me. This starts our with some recaps of some prior training I had received. Then it morphs into a more detailed conversation about Accepted. We came to some miscommunication on my part that caused some issues during the discussion but nothing what wasn't sorted out. We then went on to more of a pop quiz interaction.

Participants: Lady Ashlynn Sedai, Skyra

Solarium of the Yellow Ajah
Tall, arched windows offer a view of the island of Tar Valon and the
confluence of the river Erinin beyond Southharbor, as the river starts on
its journey to Tear. Pots and plants dot the balcony outside the windows.
Chairs have been drawn up near the windows and vases containing bouquets of
of yellow flowers have been placed nearby. Several desks and clusters of
chairs have been distributed around the room, allowing for informal
discussion of Yellow Sisters' research and studies.
[ obvious exits: N ]
Zone: White Tower Upper Floors
Door north: door
Sumptuously upholstered, a gold brocade chaise lounge with gilded legs rests nearby.
A large desk made of fine, thick wood stands across the room from here.
A chair made of red oak rests next to the table. [2]
Lady Ashlynn Alessandri is standing here.
A Yellow Sister glides past.
A silver-haired Aes Sedai sits here, reading.
Corele Hovian stands here with concern in her eyes.

Ashlynn gestures at the door with her hand.

You curtsey before her.

The door silently swings shut and lock with a soft *click*.

Ashlynn saunters over to a chair and sits down behind a desk.

You say 'Greetings Ashlynn Sedai. I hope today finds you well.'

Ashlynn sits down.

Ashlynn says 'Greetings Child. Today finds me well. And yourself?'

You say 'It is a great day! Spending most my free time in the forest outside the tower.'

You say 'Training takes lots of my time so I do enjoy spending time out there.'

Ashlynn nods, her green eyes sparkling.

Ashlynn says 'Training is not just hunting, though. What about your studies inside the Tower?'

You say 'I have been very studious there also! Just last night I was directed in how weather
affects weaving and specific weaves by Sarinda Sedai.'

Ashlynn jots down some notes on a piece of paper as she listens to the novice explain her studies.

You say 'Not long ago I was in a class with Chloro Sedai about how the workings of the Gray Ajah. '

You say 'That discussion led me to you!'

Ashlynn looks up at you, and arches her eyebrow.

You say 'It was after the class. I had asked her what was looked for for becoming Accepted.'

Ashlynn says 'I see.'

Skyra smooths her dress while looking nervous.

Ashlynn says 'Sarinda Sedai is an excellent teacher, in my opinion. Quite thorough, informative, and
always practical.'

You say 'You are not wrong. It really was one of the best learning classes I have attended so far.'

Ashlynn says 'Tell me about what you learned from her.'

You say 'In regards to the Weather Class. Sarinda Sedai discussed the ways different temperatures
affected different weaves. Also, how these differences were directly related to damage.'

Ashlynn nods along as she listens, before putting her hand up.

You say 'She gave us (Accepted Melosa was also present) a Handout that detained some of the
specifics.'

Ashlynn says 'What is the threshold where you would use ice versus fire?'

You say 'That is a very good questions.'

You say 'Fireball seems to work best between 40 and 95 degrees.'

You say 'Whereas Ice Spikes works best when between 0 and 55 degrees.'

You say 'There is some overlap there where either weave is effective. '

You say 'Sorry to ramble. It was a very informative class.'

Ashlynn says 'No need to apologize. I can understand the excitement of learning new things.
Remember, I was in your shoes once.'

Ashlynn jots some more notes down on the paper.

Ashlynn looks up at you again, considering the next question.

Ashlynn says 'And what if it were raining? How might that affect the choice of weave?'

You say 'Well, If I remember correctly rain didn't effect Ice Spikes but it did hamper Fireball.'

You say 'I am still reviewing the handout. So I could be missing some pertinent details.'

Skyra takes a deep breath trying to relax and almost succeeds.

Ashlynn nods again at Skyra as she gives what she believes a satisfactory answer.

Ashlynn flips the paper over, and writes some more.

Ashlynn says 'Would you be able to imagine a possible use of the ability to change the weather to
influence the opponent to retreat?'

Ashlynn patiently twiddles her thumbs.

You say 'We discussed that briefly. It was determined none of us had the gift of the Winds.
However it is said that the Atha'an Miere have Sail Mistress's that are gifted in that area and can
actually manipulate the weather to their benefit.'

Ashlynn patiently twiddles her thumbs.

You say 'So I would imagine if the weather was not right for a certain weave they may be able to
change the wind to assist their chosen weaves.'

Ashlynn says 'What do you think trollocs fear the most?'

You ponder life, the universe, and everything.

Ashlynn puts her elbows on the desk, holding her olive skinned face in her hands.

You say 'That I have no real experience on. However, I believe they fear not many things. '

You say 'They are driven by Fades so I assume it is by fear they are lead.'

Ashlynn says 'Many trollocs, when not under the direction of a fade, will simply leave the area when
a lightning storm approaches.'

Skyra grabs her pen and ink and starts to write earnestly.

You say 'If you mean a specific weave? Then I hear Lighting is a very damage inducing weave. But
again I have no real experience in that area.'

Ashlynn says 'It is a useful tactic, even if you do not know how to call the bolts to hit the
wretched beasts, to force them to move to a different area.'

You say 'Is there a specific weather that makes it more effective?'

Ashlynn takes a deep breath, then sits up in her chair.

Ashlynn says 'You can do anything with the One Power, child. The only difference is the time and
skill it takes to learn how to manipulate it...and how much of that sweet, precious saidar you have
at your disposal.'

You smile happily.

Ashlynn says 'A group of skilled channelers would be able to turn Bel Tine into a blizzard.'

Ashlynn says 'However, it takes a lot of effort.'

You say 'I have a question.'

Ashlynn says 'It might not last for long, considering nature and her preference for the spring to be
not too hot and not too cold, and also wet.'

Ashlynn says 'The more effort it takes to change the weather to your liking, the less time it takes
to shift back to its natural balance.'

Ashlynn says 'What is your question, dear?'

You say 'In the handbook there is much talk about forbidden weaves.'

You say 'One of those weaves is Shield. Please forgive my ignorance but why is that a forbidden
weave?'

You say 'All the other weaves are pretty self explanatory. But I was not able to figure out why on
that one.'

Ashlynn says 'That is a good question, child.'

Ashlynn says 'There are weaves, such as putting someone to sleep, which might be considered a form
of compulsion, which is also strictly forbidden. Some weaves, such as balefire, or incinerate, are
much too dangerous.'

Ashlynn says 'These two, even when wielded by a trained Aes Sedai with plenty of experience, can
easily backfire.'

You emote: Skyra nods and writes as fast as possible.

Ashlynn says 'It makes sense that initiates would be prohibited from learning these.'

You nod at her.

Ashlynn says 'As for shielding another from the source, I think that is because it is a complicated
weave that you would only use in a situation you should not find yourself in, as an initiate.'

Ashlynn says 'That is to say, hunting rogue wilders, or tainted male channelers.'

You say 'I think I understand. It is a weave that could easily be used for bad things. And teaching such
a potentially harmful weave to someone who could potential be pushed out or fail out of the tower.'

Ashlynn says 'That is also true. And depending on your own proficiency and strength in the One
Power, I suppose it is possible that you may make a mistake while training a shield, and end up
stilling someone. A fate worse than death for the victim, but also for you, because you would
probably end up stilled as well.'

You say 'That would be horrible and easily forestalled by not teaching it.'

You nod to yourself. Very reassuring.

Ashlynn says 'Both are dangerous and if my memory serves me correctly, most initiates are prohibited
from hunting them, except under the direct supervision of an Aes Sedai, or under certain
apprenticeships, such as one seeking to join the Red Ajah.'

Ashlynn nods in agreement.

You say 'OK, I thought as much but wanted to ask someone who could shed light on it for me. Thank
you for answering.'

You say 'one more item to go over if you have time?'

Ashlynn says 'Go ahead.'

You say 'Chloro Sedai told me after I asked about becoming Accepted that I should get with an Aes
Sedai and an Accepted to ask what it means to become Accepted.'

Ashlynn says 'Yes, that is after all why you are seeking me out.'

You say 'I have been to orientations. I have even been to many
classes. I believe she wants me to get a more detailed idea of what it actually means from One who
has been there. But also from one who is currently going through it.'

You say 'This will give me both knowledge and guidance if I am deemed ready.'

Ashlynn says 'Let me refrain from answering immediately, and ask you a question of my own. '

You nod at her.

Ashlynn says 'What do...'

Ashlynn says the next part, emphasizing "YOU" particularly.

Ashlynn says 'Think it means to be Accepted?'

Ashlynn chuckles quietly to herself, thinking she may have stumped the poor girl.

You say 'Well, I realize the definition. However it seems to me that being accepted is finally
being recognized by my peers that I could possible become one of them...'

Ashlynn continues to jot down notes on the paper, almost filling it completely.

You say 'It is not only reaching the required Merits. It is showing my peers which are Aes Sedai
and Accepted that I can be a value part of this community.'

You say 'Not only being skilled in the One Power because we are more than that. Being Accepted
means that I can finally consider myself a part of something larger than myself. '

Ashlynn puts her hand up again, as if to speak.

You nod at her.

Ashlynn says 'Are you suggesting that you do not already consider yourself part of something larger
than yourself? You are after all a part of the White Tower.'

Ashlynn says 'Even a novice has her role in the Tower.'

Ashlynn says 'Without novices, we wouldn't have Accepted, don't you think?'

Ashlynn says 'And you probably also know by now, that to become Aes Sedai, one must also become
Accepted first.'

Ashlynn says 'Without girls like you...'

You say 'Novice has a role to learn basics. At the very least we are taught to not hurt ourselves
or others with the One Power. This does not mean'

You say 'Novices are not part of the tower but we are simply here to learn and can be asked to leave
at any point.'

Ashlynn gestures, as if pointing to the whole Tower we are both sitting within right now.

Ashlynn says 'We wouldn't have a Tower!'

Ashlynn says 'I disagree. You are clearly part of the Tower. You may have been asked to take a
Fledgling as a charge, to teach her the ropes so that one day she too can become Wearied like
yourself.'

You say 'At best it is our change to prove to our peers we have what it takes to move forward. Not
only in One Power Ability but in interactions and leadership.'

Ashlynn says 'Without you, we wouldn't have anything to eat from. Probably no ingredients in the
larders and the root cellars.'

You say 'I do not mean to imply Novices aren't part of the tower. '

Ashlynn says 'I suggest you practice your rhetoric, as it did not come off that way to me.'

You sigh.

You nod at her.

Ashlynn says 'It is one of the most important skills an Aes Sedai has at her disposal. If you wish
to become Accepted, you wish to become Aes Sedai, and you must know how to speak like one.'

You nod in agreement.

Ashlynn says 'Please, do not feel disparaged. You have a lot to learn. It is no easy feat. Yes, some
are naturally gifted whether in strength of the Power, or perhaps some Talent or other skill.'

Ashlynn says 'Fortunately, that is something you can easily improve upon, with practice.'

You say 'Understood. I really do appreciate your time in going over this with me!'

Ashlynn thinks hard.

Ashlynn says 'The way I see it...'

Ashlynn says 'I believe there are two definitions to being an Accepted.'

Ashlynn says 'There is the objective one, and there is also the subjective.'

Ashlynn says 'Personally, I believe being an Accepted can be whatever you want it to be. Obviously,
you can be wrong, but the basics involve the following things.'

Ashlynn says 'You must show a level of responsibility that you can take charge of the novices, and
teach them lessons.'

Ashlynn says 'That you can supervise them to make sure they are doing their chores, and not hunting
for young men at the practice yard or spending the night in the public house.'

Ashlynn says 'While also studying more complex weaves, traveling the world to assist wherever you
can provide it...'

Ashlynn says 'Knowing, and living, by the Three Oaths, despite being unbound.'

Skyra nods emphatically while scribbling notes as fast as possible.

Ashlynn says 'Not just studying complex weaves, but complex histories, botany, fauna, machines,
physics, astronomy...'

Ashlynn says 'Scientific research...There is so much to study!'

Ashlynn says 'It is a...'

Ashlynn emphasizes the next word, "HUGE".

Ashlynn says 'responsibility.'

You nod in agreement.

Ashlynn says 'The handbook as it applies to Accepted, as well. You may know that upon becoming
Accepted you are allowed to travel into the world beyond the Tower and the island again as you may
have done before you came here.'

Ashlynn says 'There are boundaries, for your safety, that you should not violate, unless you wish
for sad news to be delivered to your next of kin.'

You say 'Yes, I am very well versed in the Handbook.'

You say 'I really thought your question was what being Accepted meant to me. Not just in general
terms what it means to the tower that I could have explained. '

Ashlynn says 'Well, what I just explained is what I think it is, subjectively, and to an extent,
objectively.'

Ashlynn says 'I did ask you what you thought it was, that is true.'

Ashlynn says 'And your answer? I think your answer is correct.'

You say 'No I really misjudged what was asked. That is something I need to work on.'

You say 'I really do appreciate your responses. I came in here with and idea and you turned it
around and gave me great feedback.'

You say 'That is something I can use to train and use as a learning experience. I do believe this
is exactly what Chloro Sedai meant for me to see.'

Ashlynn says 'I apologize. I feel as if I may have rambled at you, even if you thought it was a
great ramble.'

You smile at her.

Ashlynn says 'Even if you do not think you have the knowledge, rationally, I would love if you could
look inside, and tell me what you truly think it means. From the heart, from your intuition.'

You say 'It was great guidance and appreciated.'

Ashlynn says 'Any girl can study the...right answers, and come in here, and rattle them off at me.'

Ashlynn says 'I find you can learn a lot more when it comes directly from within.'

Ashlynn says 'That is to say, you can learn a lot more about a person.'

Ashlynn says 'You are lucky, in that you can do that, as you are not yet Aes Sedai. There is no
expectation of that cool, calm, serenity, that such a thing might...betray, so to speak.'

You say 'I went down that road once! I believe I should stick to more traditional answers.'

You say 'OK, do you have any instructions for me?'

You say 'Also, I forgot to ask if you needed refreshments. I had brought some food that I neglected
to mention.'

Jeesh!?! Am I ever silly.

Ashlynn says 'I am fine, thank you for the concern.'

Ashlynn says 'As for instructions...like I said, I would like you to reflect more and look within to
see what you believe it means to be Accepted. Talking to others can help you ascertain what it means
objectively for the most part.'

Ashlynn says 'Only you know what is within, though.'

Ashlynn says 'If you are ready to explain that what it means now, feel free. If you are not ready, I
will not judge you.'

You say 'OK, so here is what I think being Accepted means...'

You say 'First, it is the second stage in becoming an Aes Sedai. It means you have been identified
by your peers that you have attained a high level of ability in the One Power. also...'

You say 'It means that you have reached a level were you can begin to focus more on your individual
Talents and abilities. While not exclusively though....'

You say 'It also means you have shown enough skill that the Tower will trust you to go beyond the
tower to start to interact at some levels with in the world as a whole, while representing the
Tower.'

Ashlynn reclines back in her chair, waiting for the girl to finish speaking.

You say 'It also show a greater level of acceptance of your peers to begin using your abilities to
assist in the training and guidance of Novices within the Tower.'

You nod to yourself. Very reassuring.

Ashlynn says 'You'll also be expected to learn even more in detail about the various Ajahs.'

Ashlynn thinks hard.

Ashlynn says 'Give me a rudimentary overview of your thoughts on the purpose of each Ajah.'

You nod in agreement.

You say 'First lets start with Yellow Ajah...'

You say 'This will be kept to very rough overview. '

You say 'Generally the Yellow Ajah as skilled Healers while some have a specific Talent for healing.
They often travel to areas where Healers are in demand such as Battle Fields and areas Effected by
Natural Disasters.'

You say 'They are also known for there diligence in Research and Study especially in the healing
arena.'

You say 'Not to the level of the Brown Ajah however.'

You say 'If you will I will move to the Brown Ajah now...'

Ashlynn says 'Feel free to move on when you feel confident you have answered the question.'

You nod in agreement.

You say 'Can I ask if you were satisfied with my answer on the Yellow or would you like more Indepth
review?'

Ashlynn says 'Let's leave it a mystery for now.'

Ashlynn grins evilly.

You smile at her.

You say 'OK, Brown Ajah, They are known mostly for their Scholarly pursuits. This covers a very
broad range of subjects and is not limited to a single area. But, they are more than that...'

You say 'They have a deep Curiosity into all things that are forgotten or obscure. '

You say 'They generally like to stay neutral and keep their pursuits focus on research.'

You say 'Lets move to the White Ajah if it pleases you.'

Ashlynn puts the piece of paper into a folder, and takes out another to begin writing on.

You say 'The Whites are generally dedicated to Logic and Reason. Essentially truth through logic,
reason and rational thinking.'

You say 'They also value high intellects and skeptics. '

Ashlynn writes some notes on the paper.

You think really hard.

You say 'I believe they like to stay neutral and impartial in interactions with others.'

You say 'Red Ajah, This may be one of the easiest to describe. They hunt down men who Can Channel.'

You say 'That about sums them up. They are very adept at maintaining Tower Law and are over
Gentling and also Stilling when required.'

You say 'Lets go to the Gray Ajah now. '

You say 'The Gray Ajah is the Diplomatic wing of the Tower. They use Mediation, Diplomacy and
Negotiations to settle disputes.'

You say 'They pride themselves on being Neutral and Impartial. While they are generally stationed
around the world they are also called on when disputes in the tower come up. While rare, it does
happen!'

Ashlynn dips her pen in some ink and begins to write some more as the novice continues speaking.

You say 'While I personally feel their ability to facilitate conflict resolution is a key part of
their overall work. (but not the only part)'

Skyra takes a large breath.

You say 'on to the Blue Ajah.'

You say 'This is a bit of a harder one.'

You say 'Essentially they are champions of causes. They are justice fighters, activists, leaders.'

Ashlynn nods again as she continues making notes on the novice's answers.

You say 'While they are known for some of those items I would think this is the Ajah I know the
least about. They seem to be well rounded and could actually stand in and thrive in most other Ajah's. This
is to say they have many skills and rarely focus on single things.'

You ponder life, the universe, and everything.

Ashlynn looks up from the paper to exclaim, 'That is an excellent observation that many do not often
make.'

You say 'Thank you Ashlynn Sedai'

You say 'OK, last but not least the Green Ajah.'

You say 'The green are to the Shadowspawn like the Red are to Men who can Channel.'

You say 'this is to say the Green are considered the Battle Ajah. Unlike the Red (who are the other
Battle Focused Ajah) They love men. Well not ones who Channel of course.'

You snicker softly.

Ashlynn looks at you archly.

You say 'But men in general. They seem to take multiple warders. Surely this is because of all the
Battle they find themselves involved in.'

Ashlynn pulls another paper from a folder, looks over it, and puts it back down on the desk this
time.

Ashlynn says 'I understand some time ago, Accepted Melosa gave you a lesson on the Three Oaths.'

Ashlynn says 'Would you be able to recite them to me?'

You say 'Yes of course.'

You say '1. To speak no word that is not true.'

You say '2. To make no weapon which one man may kill another.'

You say '3. not to use the One Power as a weapon. Except, against Shadowspawn, or in defense of
my life, my warders life or the life of another Sister.'

Ashlynn finishes writing, and look up at you, satisfied with your answer.

Ashlynn says 'Have you had the opportunity to practice your combat skills by sparring with others?'

You say 'Not yet. Accepted Melosa wants to start some training in that area.'

Ashlynn says 'I suggest you seek it out as often as you can. When you are trusted to travel the
world, you will often find yourself in situations where your own skills and wits are the only thing
separating you from another sunrise, and the grave.'

Ashlynn says 'Whether you know it or not, many Yellow sisters, myself included, are just as
passionate about the thrill of battle as they are about Healing. '

You say 'Yes, I have seen that.'

You say 'I have seen Yellow Ajah attain level such as Ta'veren. I know they are fierce.'

You say 'I would like to say about the Ajah descriptions I gave those were mainly about primary
focuses. Not the abilities of individuals within the groups.'

Ashlynn says 'Do you have any other questions?'

You say 'No I think we have covered a wide range of items today. I think consolidating my notes is
what I need to do now.'

Ashlynn says 'Well, if you ever have any more questions, feel free to ask.'

Ashlynn clambers to her feet.

You say 'Thank you for taking the time. It has been valuable to me.'

Ashlynn gestures with her hand.

The door smoothly swings open.

You curtsey before her.